Patch Diameter to Bore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I tried .36 Cal Patches this morning out of my .45 Cal CVA Mountain Rifle and was VERY pleased with the Results! Any of you guy’s use a Smaller Diameter Patch like this?

To me it made better sense and is my reasoning for trying it. The VERY few times i have Shot a Patched Roundball i can Remember thinking “Why all the Excess Patch Material?” I am talking Store bought patches per Caliber. When you Start the Ball with a Short Starter and go to remove it, you can feel the Excess Patch material Grab the Short starter. This is why i chose to try the Smaller Diameter Patch, it just made good sense to me

Here you can see how much coverage the little .36 Cal Patch is Giving this .445 Roundball, it Comes up just past Half mark and GRABS the Ball TIGHT. I shot 2 Groups that were under 1” with these Short Patches, So it Definitely Works  :Red tup:  And they don’t “Grab” The Short starter like a Patch that is larger, Designed for .45 Cal

30967016-E37-B-4-A52-AFFB-D6-E0-CA7-D6414.jpg

The whole patch thing kinda gets overthought. I have been at the muzzleloader thing for many years and seen a lot of different stuff and lots of different opinions on patching, but I think it's all kind of basic to me. A good cotton patch that is large enough to contact the sides of the ball and thick enough to give you the fit and accuracy you desire...will do the job. I have seen guys that were very good competitors at matches using square patches they just cut out with scissors and do great with them. Some guys claim you have to cut them at the muzzle to get accuracy, and while that is traditional...it's not necessary for accuracy. To each his own....

The only drawback i seen to using this Smaller Diameter Patch was getting the Ball Centered, it is more Critical with the Smaller Diameter Patch, if you get to far off it’s not gonna Grab the Ball. I didn’t have a Problem Loading, but i was careful to get the Ball as closely centered in the Patch as i could. 

I am looking forward to a LOT More tinkering with this, Different Patch Materials, Thicknesses, Diameter, Square, Round, Cut at the Muzzle etc. 

Now i need to play around with the .440 Balls and Hopefully get them to Shoot as well. As good as these Store Bought .445 Balls Shot Yesterday, i sure wish i had Bought a .445 Roundball Mold instead of this .440, I don’t think it will be a problem getting these 440s to shoot tho? I just need to Cast them of Pure Lead, and Play with Patch Materials

OldMtnMan said:
Store bought pre-cut patches are always too big. As long as the patch covers the side of the ball. It's big enough.

Lewis..........Since you like to experiment so much. I always wondered if the daisy patches worked better than regular patches. Could you try them and see what you come up with?

http://www.octobercountry.com/october-country-dry-daisy-shooting-patches/
I will for sure Pete! I have seen these on OC’s site in the past and thought they were a Cool idea, I will pick some up, possibly today. I am having a Custom GG Mold Made by BACO, if they call me on it today i will Run down to October Country and pick some of these Patches up, The .015 and the .020s is what i will get

<h2 class="post-content">    October Country Dry Ticking Daisy Patches</h2>
We have been shooting the pillow tick Daisy's with good results.

I ended up ordering 400 of these Daisy Patches from OC, Some of the Ticking in .015 and .018, and Some of the ones like Pete has pictured, Cotton? I got them in .015 and .020 and all UNLUBED of Course so i can lube them myself. I was gonna Run Down There tomorrow, But they are Closed til Monday. They are only 45 minutes or so South of me, But I don’t have any other reason to Go Down that way, and i HATE the City Stuff :x Actually Hayden isn’t all that Bad. Anyway, I should have them by Wednesday, if they Ship Monday that is

The Patches i have been using came from a Sporting goods store down in Coeur d’Alene a few years ago, i grabbed them because they were .36 Cal and i had planned to use them in my .36 TC Seneca. They were in a Bargain Bin type thing on Clearance. They say Traditions Brand and were unlubed, my guess is they were Old Stock? I just Measured thickness and they are .015 on the Dot. 

This is Exactly what the Packaging looked like. 
14-BA50-CB-DDE5-4610-ADDC-DD53219558-A7.jpg

I should have shown the pillow ticking. It's all I ever used. I was showing the style of patch more than anything.

Gotta LOVE this little .45 Cal Roundball Gun, REALLY Fun to shoot due to Recoil being nearly non existent, Just a Gentle “Bump” To the Shoulder, Yet It Gives off a GOOD No Joking around Muzzle Report :Red tup: I have not Chronographed anything through it yet, But my Lyman 2nd edition Loading Manual lists a Muzzle Velocity of 1,589 FPS, That is with 50 Grains of Goex 3F, This Swiss 2F, and Olde E 2F should be Doing that same thing, Plus the Lyman Data listing is for a 28” Barrel, This Old CVA MR has a 32” Barrel. I’ll bet i am 1,600 FPS or just slightly over? I will Chrono soon just to know for sure. This .45 Patched Roundball for Deer Size Game under 100 Yards Should be PLENTY Sufficient, Proper Shot placement is KING regardless the Caliber.

It is plenty for deer, but Colorado doesn't think so. Not a legal load here. They're so stupid.

OldMtnMan said:
It is plenty for deer, but Colorado doesn't think so. Not a legal load here. They're so stupid.
It's a crying shame...the direction Colorado is heading ! I admired Colorado so much when I was growing up, but one day it looks like it's destined to become a similar state to California.

OldMtnMan said:
It could never get that bad.
Idk? This Place is headed that way, and in a FAST pace. I would venture to say that Idaho is 60-75% California owned. As the locals say, That isn’t the problem. The problem is after they move here, they claim to want to live the “Idaho Lifestyle” BUT, It isn’t a Month and they start trying EVERY way in their power to change Idaho to California Where they just came from. If you were to knock on 10 Doors here, Half them, or more moved here From California, That is NO JOKE. The Church just down the Rd from me was JUST bought by California Folks a couple weeks ago, That’s where the money came from anyway. They go to church on Saturday, Not sure what they are?

Idaholewis said:
OldMtnMan said:
Idk? This Place is headed that way, and in a FAST pace. I would venture to say that Idaho is 60-75% California owned. As the locals say, That isn’t the problem. The problem is after they move here, they claim to want to live the “Idaho Lifestyle” BUT, It isn’t a Month and they start trying EVERY way in their power to change Idaho to California Where they just came from. If you were to knock on 10 Doors here, Half them, or more moved here From California, That is NO JOKE. The Church just down the Rd from me was JUST bought by California Folks a couple weeks ago, That’s where the money came from anyway. They go to church on Saturday, Not sure what they are?
Colorado has the California/Texas attitude from Colo. Springs to the border in Cheyenne, they are doing as you stated Lewis with wanting the Colorado lifestyle then trying to change the laws to fit what they just left. Colorado'd former governor passed laws on magazine limits, along with several other laws that made those companies move to WY. 
We still own property in Colorado and hear from our neighbors every week about more issues that are coming to light, sad for folks in these states. We are starting to see similar things like mentioned here in Utah ...  it's all about who has the big bucks $$$$$ .

I have seen too much of the California liberal stuff being spread by folks that have moved to other states. Colorado, Oregon, Washington are all suffering now from it. It is a darned shame that Idaho is getting it too.

Mofish said:
I have seen too much of the California liberal stuff being spread by folks that have moved to other states. Colorado, Oregon, Washington are all suffering now from it. It is a darned shame that Idaho is getting it too.
It is FAR worse than a lot of folks think, We are literally covered in California, I see as many California license Plates a day as Idaho. I sure wish i could have read the future 9 Years ago i would NEVER have moved here, i would of kept going, Probably Northern Montana

Just a quick google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+moving+to+idaho&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Buck Conner said:
Idaholewis said:
OldMtnMan said:
Colorado has the California/Texas attitude from Colo. Springs to the border in Cheyenne, they are doing as you stated Lewis with wanting the Colorado lifestyle then trying to change the laws to fit what they just left. Colorado'd former governor passed laws on magazine limits, along with several other laws that made those companies move to WY. 
We still own property in Colorado and hear from our neighbors every week about more issues that are coming to light, sad for folks in these states. We are starting to see similar things like mentioned here in Utah ...  it's all about who has the big bucks $$$$$ .
That same governor is now running for senator and he's way ahead.

Back