Patches being destroyed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewater Forge

Reaction score
I have a couple .50 rifles with "tight" bores. With the Kentucky I contacted Pedersoli and with the common .490 ball they suggest using a .010 patch. The combination works great when loading. The retrieved patches are being shredded. It seems .010 is just not thick enough for either gun. I am currently looking into getting a RB mold in .480 and use that with a heavy durable patch.
The question: is there something else I can try to get the desired results of an intact patch leaving the muzzle?

Use an Overpowder wad and your Shredded patch problems will go away. I personally use 2 patches per Shot, 1 patch on the Powder, and the other around the Ball.

This is my Green Mountain .50 Cal, as you can see i have the bore Polished SILKY SMOOTH, Yet it will DESTROY most patches i have shot. I started using a Patch as an Over Powder Wad and my Shredded patch problems COMPLETELY went away :lewis: I am not to tight to use 2 Patches per Shot, it takes me a Whopping 5 Seconds longer to reload

GNZzDKp.png

sY3BYdF.png

f3NAqnT.png

m3IwyCs.jpg

This is what it does to my patches WITHOUT an over powder Wad (another patch on the powder)
K0mtQUD.jpg

5 shot Group at 80 Yards, typical of what i get with this Rig
4DcXMXx.jpg

My .45 Cal TC Patriot Pistol is the EXACT same way as the .50 GM Bore above. It is polished to a Mirror, yet stil destroys patches, and with ONLY 25 Grains of Powder :)
3fjtqVs.jpg

And what they look like WITH an Over powder Wad
EEpEU7u.jpg

3 shot Group at 30 Yards WITH an Over Powder Wad
dkb1GAh.jpg

Here is the little Pistol at 100 Yards WITH an Over powder Wad

Interesting topic. Last week, I was at the range with my Tennessee rifle, 50 caliber, 1/66 twist barrel.
I was shooting 495 round balls with a .010" cotton patch.
The 495's made such a big difference for me. That gun is shooting just perfect now.
I went looking for the spent patches but couldn't find a one.
I imagine they were torn to smithereens.
The barrel is still very new with less than 100 shots through it.
I'm gonna try your idea of the double patch and or over powder wad.

Interesting topic. Last week, I was at the range with my Tennessee rifle, 50 caliber, 1/66 twist barrel.
I was shooting 495 round balls with a .010" cotton patch.
The 495's made such a big difference for me. That gun is shooting just perfect now.
I went looking for the spent patches but couldn't find a one.
I imagine they were torn to smithereens.
The barrel is still very new with less than 100 shots through it.
I'm gonna try your idea of the double patch and or over powder wad.
There is no humanly possible way I could choke a 495RB down the throat of my Kentucky. How much of a difference does a new bore make? Ive seen a few mentions about breaking in a bore but dont know much more than that.

There is no humanly possible way I could choke a 495RB down the throat of my Kentucky. How much of a difference does a new bore make? Ive seen a few mentions about breaking in a bore but dont know much more than that.
I know that Idaho Lewis has a few methods for polishing a bore.
He would be the one to ask, or maybe he'll chime in.

Use an Overpowder wad and your Shredded patch problems will go away. I personally use 2 patches per Shot, 1 patch on the Powder, and the other around the Ball.

This is my Green Mountain .50 Cal, as you can see i have the bore Polished SILKY SMOOTH, Yet it will DESTROY most patches i have shot. I started using a Patch as an Over Powder Wad and my Shredded patch problems COMPLETELY went away :lewis: I am not to tight to use 2 Patches per Shot, it takes me a Whopping 5 Seconds longer to reload

GNZzDKp.png

sY3BYdF.png

f3NAqnT.png

m3IwyCs.jpg

This is what it does to my patches WITHOUT an over powder Wad (another patch on the powder)
K0mtQUD.jpg

4DcXMXx.jpg

My .45 Cal TC Patriot Pistol is the EXACT same way as the .50 GM Bore above. It is polished to a Mirror, yet stil destroys patches, and with ONLY 25 Grains of Powder :)
3fjtqVs.jpg

EEpEU7u.jpg

dkb1GAh.jpg

Is the first patch over the powder lubricated or dry before 2nd patch over the ball?

Most "blown" patches are cut when seating them in a muzzle that hasn't been polished. Polishing the entrance to the bore can easily be done with your thumb and sandpaper. Other than that a (previously mentioned) polished muzzle the best thing is an op wad. I think that Patriot pistol solves the op wad suggestion.
I mostly shoot ball about .010" below the bore size. In two of my .45s I use .440" or a .445" ball and also use a canvas patch .024" and they load well with a wooden rod. But both have undergone a polishing of the sharp bore edge.

Is the first patch over the powder lubricated or dry before 2nd patch over the ball?

While I've never needed to use an overpowder patch when shooting RB, I would say you'll want to lube it just for the sake of not having an unlubed smoldering patch land out in dry grass and catch the woods on fire.

GNZzDKp.png

sY3BYdF.png

f3NAqnT.png

m3IwyCs.jpg

K0mtQUD.jpg

4DcXMXx.jpg

3fjtqVs.jpg

EEpEU7u.jpg

dkb1GAh.jpg

Is the 1st patch over the powder a dry or a lubricated patch? I want to try your suggestion in my T/C Hawken rebored to 54cal., 1-66 rifling.
Thanks,
MikeW

I ended up trying an over powder patch. Lightly lubed with Crisco.
Very surprised how well it worked.
I was able to recover both patches and they were in perfect condition. I could have reloaded both patches.
I suppose that a felt wad over the powder charge would be just as good if not better.

Thanks for the replies.
It is currently -18 degrees here in Brighton, CO. Won't be shooting for a while!!

Latest posts

Back