Pheasant Hunting with a Knight TK2000

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPSoccer

Reaction score
A friend just gave me a 12 gauge Knight TK2000. I don't turkey hunt but I do pheasant hunt and would like to try this shotgun on pheasant. My question is about shooting the TK2000 either without the full choke or replacing the full choke with a modified choke. Which option would be best. Any information on shot patterns shooting these two ways would be helpful. Also load information would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I’ve owned 5 of them and still have one.
The TK choke is a very different animal. The way it attaches being internal threads and it’s constriction sizes.
Knight made an optional modified choke as described in previous posts.
I bought some extras and opened them up to my liking. Made a IC and Cyl.
Working on a xfull ported version.

I developed “my turkey load” by trying over 40 combinations.
( needed rotator cuff surgery afterwards) LOL.
I would suggest using BPI Ranger wads and TSS shot. Or whatever shot legal. I have a good contact for TSS shot pricing.
I found it incredible but Alliant Black MZ produced the best patterns with the wad, shot and over shot card. Tried Goex black, T7 & Pyrodex.

Choke choice is a matter of distance and shot size you are going to be shooting. I have a 20g semi auto with a mod. choke. Early in the season I use #6. Later as the pheasants get smarter I use #4. You can almost always wait to shoot until the pheasant gets out a little farther.

They make them. I have a nib to 2000. I ordered mod. And imp cylinder. Choke from knight when I bought the gun.

I talked to knight and they no longer make the IC choke just the modified choke. If anyone knows where I can buy one, please let me know. I searched the internet with no luck.

Nothing but a Knight Tk2000 choke tube will fit. No after market tube will fit.
It’s a totally different animal. Earlier post #41

.175 wall thickness at end of ext full choke.

DEB503D0-C146-4256-87B9-2B0BB64B2D46.jpeg

F4AD9809-588A-4F83-8B9C-EA208CF6698A.jpeg

D29BA506-BD04-46D4-9F40-BF1A5AC4F908.jpeg

I talked to knight and they no longer make the IC choke just the modified choke. If anyone knows where I can buy one, please let me know. I searched the internet with no luck.
I would by the modified and test it first, you can always open it if you need to. You can't make a IC tighter though. I personally think modified would be perfect. Ive always used modified and #6 when i hunted them with my Brittanys.you can experiment with different wads, ect to get the pattern you want.

You might be happy with a modified choke I hunted pheasants for many of my younger years Not with a ML'er but with an O/U shotgun that had Modified and full single selective trigger I had it on modified all the time and killed my share of birds Improved cylinder will give you a wider pattern you better be on that bird quick or you'll miss

Thanks. I didn’t know the modified choke was adjustable. Will buy one and test it out. Happy bird hunting guys!!!!

One last question on the Knight TK2000 12 gauge Muzzleloader. Has anyone shot bird shot #5 or #6 lead out the barrel without a choke. If so, what is the pattern like? Also, is it safe to do so as the treads are on the outside of the barrel. Thanks.

The TK2000 uses a modern interchangeable version of the old jug choke.
I developed “my turkey load” by trying over 40 combinations.
( needed rotator cuff surgery afterwards) LOL.

When I got my TK I fired well over 100 rounds from the bench in the first two days. Many loads were 2-2&3/4 oz. of shot over 80 to 120 grains (V) Pyro RS. Most fun I ever had with a shotgun, and I found the loads my gun liked.

For 30 years my go to unmentionable gun was a 7 lb 3.5" 12 gauge with heavy handloads. I thought it had pretty stout recoil until my two days with the TK. The prolonged pounding put my senior citizen heart into pre atrial arrythmia and it took months to correct. Definitely start with lighter loads and work up for pheasant.

Back