Pietta Remington 1858 New Army Sight Removal/Replace

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a project I'm working on and need some guidance. I asked about cutting the barrels in an earlier post, and was pointed to a great post that helped with that topic, but now I have a question about the 1858 Remington sights. I am keeping the original barrel and ordering an extra barrel and plan to cut it down to make my Remington 1858 a 3 in. snub nose. All I need to do is exchange or alternate barrels, depending on which one I want to shoot. The problem is that I will need to remove the sight, and place it onto the cut down barrel. Does anyone know how the sights are mounted to the Remington's, like are they pressed on, soldered, or screwed/threaded on? Any suggestions on how to install it on the cut down barrel?

I have a project I'm working on and need some guidance. I asked about cutting the barrels in an earlier post, and was pointed to a great post that helped with that topic, but now I have a question about the 1858 Remington sights. I am keeping the original barrel and ordering an extra barrel and plan to cut it down to make my Remington 1858 a 3 in. snub nose. All I need to do is exchange or alternate barrels, depending on which one I want to shoot. The problem is that I will need to remove the sight, and place it onto the cut down barrel. Does anyone know how the sights are mounted to the Remington's, like are they pressed on, soldered, or screwed/threaded on? Any suggestions on how to install it on the cut down barrel?
A much higher front sight will be needed than factory type. Assuming you want the sights to align with your point of aim. Cutting a dovetail slot for a half inch high or more ML front sight works for me. Track of the Wolf stocks these sights...c

A much higher front sight will be needed than factory type. Assuming you want the sights to align with your point of aim. Cutting a dovetail slot for a half inch high or more ML front sight works for me. Track of the Wolf stocks these sights...c
“A much higher sight will be needed.” Is this because the snub nose 3 inch barrel will shoot higher than point of aim? I don’t understand why I would need a higher sight. I’m new to black powder revolvers and muzzleloaders, so forigive my ignorance.

Back