Primer with powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem1

Reaction score
What do most of you use to ignite the charge? I am going to use 209 shotgun primers and I was watching a CVA video that said accuracy can be improved with a special 209 primer that's a little less powerful and designed especially for muzzle loading. Do any of you use musket caps or #11 caps? What helps yield the best accuracy?

Normally when i get a new inline i'll shoot the 4 basic primers available in my area.
Winchester W209 - Federal - cci 209m and Winchester 777 primers.

Ive seen a hole in one group turn into a 4" group by switching out primers.

Davem, Heres some pictures of targets i shot with a few different primers.

This was with the 295gr Powerbelt Aerotip and 80gr pyrodex RS @ 100 yards.
Winchester W209 primer,
Picture462-1.jpg

The next group Directly above the bulls eye was again with the same load as before but with the Winchester 777 primers.
Picture467-1.jpg

Also, if you look low left you will see a big hole. That was done with the 348gr Aerotips and 80gr RS but with Remington Kleanbore primers ( My memory is a little fuzzy on that group)

Fingers point to the next 3 shots with CCI 209M primers and the 80gr RS with 295gr Aerotip.
Picture469.jpg

A while back i had a CVA Optima .50cal that didnt like Pyrodex RS one bit but would shoot a dime size 3 shot group @ 100 yards with the 348gr Powerbelt Aerotips and 777 primer. With the RS, i may have been lucky to keep it around 3"

Lots of range time and experimenting normally can solve accuracy issues.

Remington 209 ML Primers?

FrontierGander said:
Normally when i get a new inline i'll shoot the 4 basic primers available in my area.
Winchester W209 - Federal - cci 209m and Winchester 777 primers.

Ive seen a hole in one group turn into a 4" group by switching out primers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone tried REMINGTON's Kleenbore Muzzleloader 209 primers?

Well let me try to draw some conclusions. First, a 209 shotgun primer is far better than either a "#11 cap or musket cap. Of the 209 primers. it doesn't seem anyone is using the new 209's that are supposed to be just for muzzle loading however the accuracy seems great.

Im using the Winchester 777 primers in my Accura right now as it does reduce fouling in my bore but thats the only reason i use them. If you use blackhorn209 then of course you'll need to use the cci 209m or the federal 209a primers. The muzzleloading primers are not hot enough for it.

Latest posts

Back