Swinglock die question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a .45 caliber Swinglock adjustable sizing die and I've been using it to size jacketed bullets for my Mountaineer (.4515").
My question is can this die open up enough to size .458" bullets for my upcoming CVA .45-70 smokeless conversion?

It should but you might not be able to size all at once

Is your die a smooth form die of full form?
Assuming it is a smooth form die i would use .452 bullets instead of .458 bullets as you need to size them to the land dimensions and not the groove dimension of the bore
The die may be a 452 die and I think trying to push a .458 bullet thru it will be difficult. But I have not tried this so thats just my opinion

Assuming your .458's are thin jackets you could completely open the die and try pushing a .458 thru the die. Make sure the sizing nut is completely loose meaning just barely on and assuming the .458 will pass just go from there.

Like derhunter said .458 is pretty big to size down to a 45/70 size bullet so .458 may be beyond your dies limit.

I sent my Swing-lock die back for a minor sizing adjustment so you can always contact Tom if you have any questions or problems.

[email protected]

Latest posts

Back