Scope bases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with aluminum bases from Weaver? Or aluminum bases from anyone else for that matter.
I get the feeling that mine might be moving a little. I ordered some STEEL Warne bases from Brownells. They are only 35 minutes away but you know how expensive gas is now. :( Anyway, let's get this topic rolling...
Are they prone to failure? Should we not be even considering their use?
I would guess that if movement is occuring it might be so slight that one might mistake it for shooter error?
Thanks for your imput in advance. :D ..........spit

The steel bases are much better, but I've used the aluminum bases for years, and haven't had any problems.

For me its ONLY STEEL! Alum is like putting a cheap slip shot footer down when buildin a home & then wonder why walls crack, doors misalign etc etc.

Spend an xtra 5 bucks or so & go with steel. :lol:

spitpatch I had a screw in a weaver base break off in a knight wolverine one time. The groups kept moving to the right and back on me and It was quite nerve wracking until I figured it out.

I also got a good deal on a knight bighorn mag one time because the guy that owned it got frustrated with it. His rear scope ring that mounted onto the mount had worked its way loose and he kept shooting it like that thinking something major was wrong(he was trying different powders and bullets).

When I bought the gun for a song I tore it down and noticed the mount groove was wallowed out. I replaced the mounts and tightened everything up and it still shoots like a dream.

I like to mount steel on steel and aluminum on aluminum JMHO.

iisabigone

I used aluminum for years with no problem, and then on a trip to Canada where it snowed and froze hard every night, and moisture seeped between the bases and receiver, the front base came loose. These bases were red loctited down. I cripled a stone sheep, which we were fortunate to recover and discovered the problem by squeezing water out of the gap createed by the loosening of the screws. I talked to a lot of pros whose basic comment was " don't use dissimiliar metals". Stick with steel on steel, Ray

thanks Ray, I'm feeling real good about buying STEEL...thanksagain
spit

Has anyone had a problem with aluminum bases from Weaver?

No.

Or aluminum bases from anyone else for that matter.

Yes. Some of the base/ring combos aren't that good of quality.

Are they prone to failure? Should we not be even considering their use?

If of good quality, they are usually fine! I've used a BUNCH of Weaver bases over the years(rings too, for that matter) and really never have had a problem. BKL makes some of the best air rifle/.22 mounts made ANYWHERE and they are aluminum.

Provided your Weaver bases are mounted correctly they really should be fine. Screws are often the issue, not the bases themselves.

Spitpatch, if you got to have aluminum you might look at Talley. They have a aluminum ring/base made in one piece and look like they would work great. I still like and pefer Warne solid steel rings and bases though. :)

Back