Searching for 22LR Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CZ's have been a favorite since I bought a 452 10 years ago. The action is nice and smooth. The gun shoots better than my old bull barrel 142.. Bang for the buck, these are hard to beat. Although the triggers are adjustable on these, I always do a trigger job on them if I plan to use them competitively. For target shooting (sporter at 50 feet and 100 yards free hand) I like to use Wolf ammunition but they shoot other brands just fine if you don't mind misfires or occasional random shots. For hunting I still use the Wolf but I also use Federal AutoMatch.
I dislike the way that Ruger's launch empty casings and for single shot, the rotary magazines are annoying. Changing mags between shots is too much of a distraction for me. I see folks with 5 magazines loaded with one bullet each for the Rugers.....I have a single shot mag for the CZ and load one bullet at a time.
What the Ruger's have going for them is a boat load of aftermarket upgrades, stocks, triggers etc.

I got started with Ruger Blackhawk framed pistols way back when and the 10/.22 about the same time as the first pistol came home with me. I have a strong Ruger dedication but stopped with the 10/,22's when they got cheap and were produced for aftermarket garbola. A fried bought one of the first Americans in .22lr and loves the gun . After spending some time with his American I got interested again and looked at the Cz's available alongside the American and went that direction simply because of cost.

Both guns have a myriad of positive features and both possess a couple distractions, but boiling it down, money was the deciding factor for me. I leave the clip in the gun but load it single shot easily by simply laying a shell on the center of the magazine and closing the bolt. Shorts I need to start the bullet in the barrel if I am shooting them. And I do. Quite a bit in fact.

Trigger-wise, my American came with a nice trigger pull of about 2 pounds so I haven't messed with it.

Personally, I see the CZ's and Americans as comparable guns and anyone wanting a quality .22lr or .22 Mag or .17 rimfire could not go wrong with either brand.

Yeah, keep talking. Your going to make me need another gun. After I bought the CZ I see the Ruger has a 2 part stock for smaller shooters. Maybe fit the grandchildren sooner. Does that sound like a good excuse??????
I have two grandsons and have already bought many downsized rifles for training them. Never a bad idea in my mind.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, keep talking. Your going to make me need another gun. After I bought the CZ I see the Ruger has a 2 part stock for smaller shooters. Maybe fit the grandchildren sooner. Does that sound like a good excuse??????
Not so much an excuse as it is good common sense to put something in their mitts that they can handle. As an aside..... NOW is when you start kids with good gun handling and let it creep up to actual shooting. Way too many people think kids should be 12-15 years old to start them only to find the kids has other interests and things fall flat on its nose. My grandson was letting his son hold guns under supervision, gently guiding him in right and wrong ways to handle the gun, when he was 4. At five he knew to never point a gun in any direction he did not intend to pull the trigger. He's seven now and will start sitting down at the bench this summer to shoot. That American I bought will go to the great grandson when I am gone.

Snapbang I see the CCI Std is working OK for you. I know all 22s have a preference to different ammo but, and I think I told you this before, give CCI MiniMag Varmint a try and also SK Standard Plus. You may be surprised at the difference in accuracy. With those 2 brands I can put 10 rounds covered with a dime at 50 yards out of my Bergara B-14R.
I need to get it out again and post some 5 shot groups with it when I get back up north. (my wife has me migrating down to florida with the birds...LOL)

I went to the range this week with my RUGER’s. I don’t have any of that fancy match ammo. I mostly shoot bulk pack when I can find it. Took three brands, CCI Blazer, CCI Std Velocity, and Aguila Super Extra which is made in Texas.
Top targets are the walnut stocked SS Ruger American, the bottom six targets are with my old Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd match barrel, and a Ruger BX trigger group. It was a cold, windy days but all were shot at 50 yards.
Happy with my RUGER’s with this less than match grade ammo, but very happy with the CCI Std Velocity.
View attachment 41603View attachment 41604 I noticed it is much easier to shoot accurately with the Semi-Auto. Once you get a good grip and settle down to shoot, you just squeeze the trigger 10 times, no loosing grip to work a bolt. Don’t get me wrong, most of my hunting rifles are bolt actions, but here we are talking target shooting, big difference
Looks like your 10/22 liked the aguila about as well as the cci. My 10/22 with a TacSol barrel shot the aguila se better than any other bullet/barrel combination. Never did like any HPs tho.

There is no shortage of excellent .22LR rifles available that would surprise most shooters with their accuracy. I've owned a few over the decades, Rossi, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Marlin, Kimber and a few others and none were (IMHO) "inaccurate". I have only three of them in my safe - can't keep 'em all. The three are an old Remington single shot M514, which is the first .22 I bought with my own money, A Marlin 39A I bought in the early 1960s and a Kimber of Oregon M82 Custom Classic from the 1980s. All three will NOT miss any reasonable target due to rifle inaccuracy. The 60+ year old 514 can still outshoot me and the 39A is a true "tack driver". But the Kimber of Oregon M82 is in a class by itself. I haven't actually tested any of the three at 100 yards but at 50 yards they all can stay under a dime with their favorite ammo. The M82 will do that with about any .22LR ammo for 5 shots and much, much better with the better ammo.

To me a .22 is for small game hunting, period. I can no longer hunt but paper targets, tin cans and gongs are good substitutes in my book. In general, going from a $300 rifle to an $800 rifle is spending $500 for a (possibly) 1/2" to a 1" tighter group at 50 to 100 yards. For the serious competitor it's a no-brainer, 1/4" makes a major difference. But for the rest of us maybe not. When shopping for a .22 I always bought what looked good and felt good against my shoulder.

Back