Searching for 22LR Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have the Leupold rings coming as well as a few quality ammo choices.

As far as the torque wrench, seems I read a lot of complaints about plus or minus 2 inches or worse. So I came up with my own idea.
Ill use degrees or turn or hands on the clock. It will take a few times but I think I will be able to loosen and tighten the screws to experiment with accuracy and also return the screw to the same point once I have removed it. Think it will do better than plus or minus two pounds.

View attachment 39967
Torque specs and the proper torque wrench is a better option.

Small bore competition is some pretty tough competition and not for the average person. A friend that I worked with for 30yrs, still holds the record for 50yrd prone, any sight. 400-28x. A51 international target at Camp Perry. That is one SMALL X on that target.

Small bore competition is some pretty tough competition and not for the average person. A friend that I worked with for 30yrs, still holds the record for 50yrd prone, any sight. 400-28x. A51 international target at Camp Perry. That is one SMALL X on that target.
Yep, the diameter of a .22 bullet. Back in '86 I ranked 42nd in national 3 position indoor. Could have been a lot higher but had an ammo related flyer from the kneeling position.
Yeah, even Eley Green loads a crapper once on a while. Sucks when it happens in a match though!
I often thought about shooting in a .30 cal match but never did. I pull out the M1 once on a while and send a few clips full downrange.

Using a torque wrench and measuring rim thickness IMO isn't necessary. I shot small bore competition back in the 80s and shot along side national champions and no one I know did either.
No offense, but that was 40 years ago. The competition is much tighter now. Everyone I know measures rim thickness. You wouldn't place in a local 20 person shoot today. Not in the West at least.

No offense, but that was 40 years ago. The competition is much tighter now. Everyone I know measures rim thickness. You wouldn't place in a local 20 person shoot today. Not in the West at least.

A while back on rimfirecentral someone did a halfway decent job of actually testing if sorting by rim thickness or weight did anything for groups

Answer was on decent quality or better ammo (SK offerings, Lapua, higher end RWS etc) it either gave so little improvement it was basically statistical noise or it gave no improvement at all. For cheap ammo like Thunderbolts and other bulk it did improve things by a measurable amount but groups still sucked so again a why bother unless you are having a "we've collected 2500 rounds of dropped etc range pickup 22 ammo, best groups win" fun match

All I was worried about was if I could hit a dime at fifty yards. If I could hit that then I could crack a squirrels head. When we treed a squirrel, you shot him the head. If not you had a hard life for a long time.

A while back on rimfirecentral someone did a halfway decent job of actually testing if sorting by rim thickness or weight did anything for groups

Answer was on decent quality or better ammo (SK offerings, Lapua, higher end RWS etc) it either gave so little improvement it was basically statistical noise or it gave no improvement at all. For cheap ammo like Thunderbolts and other bulk it did improve things by a measurable amount but groups still sucked so again a why bother unless you are having a "we've collected 2500 rounds of dropped etc range pickup 22 ammo, best groups win" fun match
I can only speak to my own experiences, as I haven't read the rimfirecentral findings. My groups tightened significantly. Remember that in this game, a tenth or so is substantial.

As to torque specs, I wonder why in the technical world they're so prevalent if they have no relevance.

And no offense back at you but I doubt that. You're probably right now at 70 but in my prime I could.
99-8X or100-9X was the norm for prone, sitting and kneeling in the high 90s and off hand 9n the low to mid 90s.
That was with an old Win 52 with a 20x Unertel

And no offense back at you but I doubt that. You're probably right now at 70 but in my prime I could.
99-8X or100-9X was the norm for prone, sitting and kneeling in the high 90s and off hand 9n the low to mid 90s.
That was with an old Win 52 with a 20x Unertel
I'm not trying to have a "measuring" contest with anyone. And when I said "you wouldn't place in a local event..." I wasn't talking about you specifically, I'm sure you're a great shot. I was saying that without measuring rim thickness, a person is not placing at small local events.

And my experience has been with 22 benchrest. There's no prone, kneeling, or unsupported positions.

The winner typically doesn't drop any x's, and 2nd and 3rd only drop x's in the shootout, after the rest of us have packed up our things. I've never won, but sometimes make the top 5.

I can't imagine trying to shoot a competition. The only one I compete with is me. The only one I have to impress is me. Way simpler way of life. lol
Sure, the money and the supermodels are nice 🤣, but trying to beat personal bests is why I do it. Also, having your buddies buy the beer after the shoot feels good.

The competitive spirit is a hard one to kill.

I can't imagine trying to shoot a competition. The only one I compete with is me. The only one I have to impress is me. Way simpler way of life. lol
Some competitions are cut throat, no questions about that. Others though, are just fun and good times with others.
I compete against myself every time I walk on the range. Can I do better today?
However, there is nothing like a good competition, where everyone helps each other, or is at least willing to help in some manner. Case in point, both Camp Atterbury and at Friendship. If you were to show up at Friendship without a rifle and wanted to shoot, someone would offer their rifle and bench, offer to spot and score for you. THAT is what makes competing fun, at least at the right places. Small shoots are mostly cut throat.

Ive been watching and reading all kinds of information on accurate 22LR. Near as I can tell once you have a reasonably good gun (or not) about 80% of the accuracy lies in the brand of bullet it likes to shoot. Once that brand is determined whatever improvements you make will be minor at best. At least for a hunting gun.

My mounts came yesterday so Ill have scope mounting to do while the wife is on the mend. Think I better keep a book on what brands I try and maybe a picture record also. Thank you all for the help. Its comforting to have enablers at your side when spending money on a new gun you don't need. Or should I say a new gun you could live without. LOL

I guess I should have learned back in May of 22 when I did an accurizing of one of my 10/22s. There was a dramatic difference when I tried 5 ammo choices. In the end that gun would shoot about .75" five shot groups at 50 yards. Hope this one does at least .5"

Hey Snapbang, do you have a range report on the CZ yet?

I have decided to approach this gun slowly. I did mount a 30 mill 3-9 x 40 Burris Fulfield on it. Im going to shoot many cci standard through it before going on to other brands of LR ammo. I have a bunch of rabbit hunting lined up and when not rabbit I am going to use it on squirrels. Or my pellet gun. It seems I may be off work for a while because Traverse City is getting a boat load of snow. To do my work I need access to the cherry orchards there. Which gives me time to play with the gun but I have not pursued it yet HC.

I did take it out to shoot a week ago Friday but the wind was significant. So I brought it back in. I do like the feel of the gun and the trigger is great. I shot a few out the basement door. No target just to try the trigger.

I also have a MK-93 in a 54 I want to play with.

I am also thinking I need to do some shed hunting.

When I sight in those cci standards Ill share a target with you. Probably late next week.

..... It seems I may be off work for a while because Traverse City is getting a boat load of snow. To do my work I need access to the cherry orchards there. ......
We got hammered with 10" of really WET snow the other day, now they're stating 22-24" tonight of the same WET snow. If it were dry snow, it would be 6' deep.
Trimming trees?

I work for the USDA as a contractor for Crop Adjusting. If you are a producer (grower,farmer) and want insurance I need to graph all your orchards. The graph shows location of live as well as missing trees. The spacing, acreage, year planted, etc. Need to know everything about the orchard to make sure it gets insured properly. Also do grapes, pears, and peaches in the area. I have done soy beans in Johannesburg which should be a hour or so from you. (I was licensed and worked for Farm Bureau for a few years) Its a great place to work from July 10 through to the late fall. Always fresh fruit of some kind on the trees.

The farms we work with are wonderful, the owners great, the help always pleasant and courteous. We get to know the guys who make the wine and get to visit the cellars where the vats are.

Get to keep the pellet gun in the truck to dispatch varmints trying to eat fruit. :D

Back