Searching for 22LR Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got hammered with 10" of really WET snow the other day, now they're stating 22-24" tonight of the same WET snow. If it were dry snow, it would be 6' deep.
Trimming trees?
We're getting what you'll be getting right now. We're only at 15 degrees so this stuff is not wet. I think the outlying areas are getting a lot of wind and drifting. Here in town the snow is falling horizontal to the ground so it must be a treat where the houses stop and beyond. Right now it actually looks as though the sun could peek out.

Having an inch of snow on the streets when I went to Scheels this morning had me laughing my ass off at people. Can't stop, don't know how to stop, spinning wheels, bumper cars at intersections, can't negotiate a hill, the whole shootin match. We live on what is the busiest street in the NW quadrant of a city of 140,000 people so I'm sure I'llbe out picking up car and pick-up parts off the street before the real heavy snow gets ramped up this afternoon about 2ish.

Take care over there in S'conie land and Michigan. Today and tonight are going suck and then the temps plummet. Heart attack weather today for sure.... don't become a statistic!

I work for the USDA as a contractor for Crop Adjusting. If you are a producer (grower,farmer) and want insurance I need to graph all your orchards. The graph shows location of live as well as missing trees. The spacing, acreage, year planted, etc. Need to know everything about the orchard to make sure it gets insured properly. Also do grapes, pears, and peaches in the area. I have done soy beans in Johannesburg which should be a hour or so from you. (I was licensed and worked for Farm Bureau for a few years) Its a great place to work from July 10 through to the late fall. Always fresh fruit of some kind on the trees.

The farms we work with are wonderful, the owners great, the help always pleasant and courteous. We get to know the guys who make the wine and get to visit the cellars where the vats are.

Get to keep the pellet gun in the truck to dispatch varmints trying to eat fruit. :D
Really great owners of those orchards over there. My dad lived north of Torch Lake, actually on Little Torch. He knew all those orchard owners up that way and hunted Shooks Orchards www.shooksfarms.com quite often with Ward Schanhals Sr., who's daughter married into the Shooks family.
Yup, that would be a good job!

We're getting what you'll be getting right now. We're only at 15 degrees so this stuff is not wet. I think the outlying areas are getting a lot of wind and drifting. Here in town the snow is falling horizontal to the ground so it must be a treat where the houses stop and beyond. Right now it actually looks as though the sun could peek out.

Having an inch of snow on the streets when I went to Scheels this morning had me laughing my ass off at people. Can't stop, don't know how to stop, spinning wheels, bumper cars at intersections, can't negotiate a hill, the whole shootin match. We live on what is the busiest street in the NW quadrant of a city of 140,000 people so I'm sure I'llbe out picking up car and pick-up parts off the street before the real heavy snow gets ramped up this afternoon about 2ish.

Take care over there in S'conie land and Michigan. Today and tonight are going suck and then the temps plummet. Heart attack weather today for sure.... don't become a statistic!
Yup, going to be a great weekend............. ;)

1705083842100.png

Saturday will be a good day to prep guns or play with them. Reorganize gun stuff, plan fishing, hunting, food plots, etc. Monday through the next week looks like a banner rabbit hunting week. My buddy said he wants 50 rabbits this year. Maybe I need to hire a Sherpa to carry rabbits for me.
:D
Auction also has some interesting items.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OK I couldn't wait. In spite of the poor shooting conditions outside I took my new cz out for a test ride. I had to pause a few times to shoot because the drifting snow was covering the target. The first ten shots out of it are next to my thumb at 45 yards. The one on the right made a distinctly different sound so Ill not count that one. I used CCI standard Target. The other group was Federal ammo I had sitting in the garage so I gave it a try. I count 7 holes from 9 shots. Not too bad for a first ride in crap conditions.

The gun cycles beautifully but I do cycle it slowly so as not to damage the cartridge going in the chamber. They go in snug. Eject nicely. So far so good.

IMG_3541.JPG

I did some serious shooting with my CZ at 10:30 this morning. Wind still blowing at 10 mph. I got this result with the first five shots at 50 yards. Interesting development is when I put gloves on the group about doubled in size. This is with the CCI standard velocity target. Same as my Ruger 10/22 likes. I am collecting more ammo to test so Im not done by any means. Looks like this gun is capable. The trigger is a pleasure as is from the factory. The crows, rabbits, and squirrels are going to hate this gun.

IMG_3546.JPG

OK I couldn't wait. In spite of the poor shooting conditions outside I took my new cz out for a test ride. I had to pause a few times to shoot because the drifting snow was covering the target. The first ten shots out of it are next to my thumb at 45 yards. The one on the right made a distinctly different sound so Ill not count that one. I used CCI standard Target. The other group was Federal ammo I had sitting in the garage so I gave it a try. I count 7 holes from 9 shots. Not too bad for a first ride in crap conditions.

The gun cycles beautifully but I do cycle it slowly so as not to damage the cartridge going in the chamber. They go in snug. Eject nicely. So far so good.

View attachment 40602
With my 880Sq, I could trim your thumbnail.....lol.....

CZ are fine guns, but my tastes run to American made RUGER’s. I have a super accurate 10/22 with. Kidd barrel, and target trigger. So accurate with “good” ammo, it’s almost boring! I just picked up another Ruger .22. This one is the Ruger American bolt action in SS with a walnut stock. Just snuck out to the range today to put a couple of rotary magazines full of CCI standard velocity just to give it a try. Open sights at 25yards look great. I will pick up a good rimfire scope and when it warms up here I will give it a good workout.

Attachments

• IMG_3430.jpeg
    IMG_3430.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0
I went to the range this week with my RUGER’s. I don’t have any of that fancy match ammo. I mostly shoot bulk pack when I can find it. Took three brands, CCI Blazer, CCI Std Velocity, and Aguila Super Extra which is made in Texas.
Top targets are the walnut stocked SS Ruger American, the bottom six targets are with my old Ruger 10/22 with a Kidd match barrel, and a Ruger BX trigger group. It was a cold, windy days but all were shot at 50 yards.
Happy with my RUGER’s with this less than match grade ammo, but very happy with the CCI Std Velocity.
IMG_3582.jpegIMG_3583.jpeg I noticed it is much easier to shoot accurately with the Semi-Auto. Once you get a good grip and settle down to shoot, you just squeeze the trigger 10 times, no loosing grip to work a bolt. Don’t get me wrong, most of my hunting rifles are bolt actions, but here we are talking target shooting, big difference

Those CCI standards seem to do well in a lot of guns.
Yes they do. They are about the best .22 ammo I can afford. I also have a Winchester model 62A pump that I like to take out and plink with the Aguila and Blazer. Bouncing tennis and golf balls around can be challenging and lots of fun. I save the Std Velocity for targets.

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've always enjoyed a .22 for playing around and finally sprung for a Ruger American, blued, last spring. Its a tight shooter with a couple .22lr rounds, but honestly everything I have shot thru it could be used to hunt rabbits and squirrels, maybe groundhog and coyote. The best grouping ammos seem to be those that aren't the ultra-highspeed stuff. Federal's Gold Target 40 grain solids shoot 3/8" X 1/2" at 50 yards. I've done some 1/2" X 1/2" 50 yard groups using the common cci mini-mags. Aquila 38 grain hollow points will fetch 3/8" X 7/16" groups at 50 yards if the wind is not blowing. Last fall I head shot a couple ruffed grouse in the cabin yard using the cci mini-mags at about 60 yards.

I love wood and am thinking of ordering a walnut stock for the gun. Those American's are a shooter's shooter for sure. I had 10/.22's for forever before I fell away from the .22's.

The last ultra-accurate .22 lr I owned was a Savage Anschutz and that rifle at 50 yards could put 10of a certain bullet inside on small hole. I had it's .22 magnum brother too. Both guns carried full sized 6X Weavers with fine wires. I bought both the same day from the same shop that was closing out the guns to ready for a move to a different store front.

I love time with the muzzies but there is just something relaxing about plinking golf balls or poking paper with a good .22lr gun.

I also Have A CZ 455 Combo That has two barrels . One is 22LR and the other is 17 Hmr . It takes about 10 Minutes to change the barrels & great gun . Very accurate ! The Price Was $540.00 .

Back