Shimming Lehigh plug for knight LRH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you, but I am not a purist. I shot this rifle maybe 50 times this fall (last one killed an elk!). O ring worked great.

When I retire and shoot more, it might make sense to switch to metal shims, but this was a simple and easy solution that worked great for hunting.

This works out to 2 to 3 "O"-rings per year. You don't have to sort Primers by length or have to reshim if changing brands.
That's why I said if you're going to use the same brand primer, which is the shortest one available, you may want to shim. However if you did shim and decided to go to another primer brand you'd be SOL because the .248" shim that you have to tap in isn't coming out unless you drill it out. So in your case and the little bit of shooting you do, stick with the O-rings. I've used them in my CVA Accura with good success.

I finally had a chance to shoot my new Knight UL with a Lehigh plug in it, and also experienced a lot of blowback.

So I’ve read up on all of the above and have the SS shims in hand. I’m curious, can you measure primer crush by putting a caliper on the primer before/after, or is it really just a matter of feeling the bolt get tougher to close?

I’m also using Federal 209A with BH209. Short on primer options… I haven’t seen any in stock around here for a couple of years, though I don’t look very often any longer either.

You want about a .04 crush when closing breach , I shimmied my accura by shimmying my firing pin bushing ,no more blowback leaking

I have the two piece conversion kit from SSK in my LRH. Of course I only shoot Federal 209A primers but I have zero blow back.
I haven’t tried them, but I imagine it would be the same with WW209, or CCI magnums

Greg

Thanks guys.

I’ve just set my headspace. I have two Lehigh plugs. The first one had 0.001” crush with 3 spacers and 4 spacers would not allow me to close the bolt.

My 2nd Lehigh plug gives 0.002-0.003” of crush with 2 spacers. I guess I’ll see how that goes.

I do not have a lot of primers, unfortunately, but I do have a few each of Federal 209A and CCI. Dimensions float within the lot, I have some that measure 0.295” and others at 0.298”. I used a 0.297” to set spacing. My cycled primer measures 0.295”.

This is my first time doing this, so please let me know if anything above sounds concerning or if you have better guidance for me. Thanks for all of your help… I’m hoping this resolves my blowback and/or sticking primer issues.

Back