Shooters love old-school style muzzle loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got to make some smoke for the first time in a long while, last Saturday, when I, and a few others, was invited to a friend’s farm. There were quite a lot of (exotic) unmentionable (modern) firearms there, but the interesting thing is that the most popular firearms there that day, that everyone wanted to take a turn shooting, was a friend’s .58 British Enfield, my .44 Kentucky, and my .54 Pedersoli Blue Ridge, muzzleloaders! Second place went to two other of our firearms: my WWII unmentionable rifle (M-1 Garand), and my friend’s unmentionable rifle (M-14). Everyone was fascinated by the whole loading process and loved to see, feel, and hear the bang and the smoke. I was humbled by how much they wanted to know about them and how much they enjoyed shooting them.

‘Poet

You can mention your firearms here, all of them, we are not particular about all that silly nonsense! I have in lines, sidelocks and centerfire guns an a pellet gun, its all good! Glad you were able to enlighten a few new folks to the shooting sport!
Thanks, toytruck! The “exotics” I mentioned were a lot of AR platforms and AKs and SKS. They didn’t hold a candle to the smokepoles’s popularity.

Last edited:
There's just something special about black powder smoke.
Years ago I came across a good deal on a Sharps .50-90. The previous owner it turned out was recoil shy. Or was made recoil shy... anyway, regardless where I went with that rifle, it drew a crowd. Some days I might shoot it 5 times out of twenty. Had a lot of fun with it, made a lot of friends of casual acquaintances. In the end someone offered me a 3-1/2” Merwin and Hulbert in .44 wcf and I couldn’t resist the nickel plated beauty. It draws a crowd too...

Latest posts

Back