Shooting Black Horn 209 in a TC Hawken.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening folks. I have an early model TC Hawken in .50cal. I was wondering if any of you shoot Black Horn 209 with it. Another gent I used to shoot stated he did after installing a "Mag Spark" 209 adapter. He uses the adapter 80grV of BH 209 then a dry .54 cal wool.felt patch and topped with a 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullet. He stated he gets excellent accuracy and hasn't had any problems or hang fires. Have any of or do any of you shoot BH 209 in your sidelocks? Any special procedure(s) you need to include?

Many thanks!
SHADOWFOX64!

I do shoot BH in my Renegade .45 LRH with a MagSpark adapter. 80gr volume, a cutoff sabot base and a 45-340i lead bullet. Im not 100% thrilled with theMagSpark, the cap and base start to get primer fouled and a little difficult to clean after many shots. Otherwise i love shooting BH in it. I found an Accra-Shot that is nearly identical but it takes Small Rifle Primers instead. I hope to try it out soon.

Evening folks. I have an early model TC Hawken in .50cal. I was wondering if any of you shoot Black Horn 209 with it. Another gent I used to shoot stated he did after installing a "Mag Spark" 209 adapter. He uses the adapter 80grV of BH 209 then a dry .54 cal wool.felt patch and topped with a 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullet. He stated he gets excellent accuracy and hasn't had any problems or hang fires. Have any of or do any of you shoot BH 209 in your sidelocks? Any special procedure(s) you need to include?

Many thanks!
SHADOWFOX64!
Most of my sidelocks wear Mag Sparks and Leupolds The Renegades all like them and they keep
freezers full ! Electrical tape over the muzzle and leave it in the garage (water proof) and set up like that will stay loaded for 3 months and be reliable firing at end of season with BH209 or OE 3f just in case I don't see fast food (not happened yet)

Last edited:
I have never checked out the mag spark. A empty 22 LR casing will hold 5gr black powder. I use that for an igniter charge with BH 209. It works great and I never notice the soot from just 5gr. The fire from the BH 209 main charge just burns up the small amount of soot from the 5gr black powder. This is all with standard or magnum percussion caps. Another idea I borrowed from Doc White

I have never checked out the mag spark. A empty 22 LR casing will hold 5gr black powder. I use that for an igniter charge with BH 209. It works great and I never notice the soot from just 5gr. The fire from the BH 209 main charge just burns up the small amount of soot from the 5gr black powder. This is all with standard or magnum percussion caps. Another idea I borrowed from Doc White
You might want to check out the Mag Spark ,aside from setting off anything BH209/black or subs it also is a water proof system as I described unlike your method with a (LONG) as in months of reliability /just sayin Ed

Been doing the same thing in my Whites with BH209.

Same here with most of my Whites, although recently I purchased three 209 breech plugs. I haven’t tried them yet, but I’m sure I will like them just as long as the inline 209 capper works as smooth and fast as the inline percussion capper. I sure hope someone develops a BP substitute that will match or surpass BH 209 without the ass reamer price tag

Ordered & recieved BH209 from Sportsmans Warehouse for $48.00 & no shipping charge

Most of my sidelocks wear Mag Sparks and Leupolds The Renegades all like them and they keep
freezers full ! Electrical tape over the muzzle and leave it in the garage (water proof) and set up like that will stay loaded for 3 months and be reliable firing at end of season with BH209 or OE 3f just in case I don't see fast food (not happened yet)
Dog groomers use small rubber finger covers like doggy condoms. no need to take 'em off as they are flexible and blow off. O.K. for B/L hunting rifles as well as you can get 'em in varios sizes. O.D.

Dog groomers use small rubber finger covers like doggy condoms. no need to take 'em off as they are flexible and blow off. O.K. for B/L hunting rifles as well as you can get 'em in varios sizes. O.D.
Sounds like a lot of money if you hunt like me , but home depot has sales on tape ! But I'm betting the roll I have will out last me and again I not only hunt a lot but shoot a lot and I attended the
last sale @ home depot !!!/Ed

Now my curiosity is up and moving around. Where is a safe place to buy one of the mag spark adapters on line? I saw a place called walnut hill in Ohio? Legit site?

Same here with most of my Whites, although recently I purchased three 209 breech plugs. I haven’t tried them yet, but I’m sure I will like them just as long as the inline 209 capper works as smooth and fast as the inline percussion capper. I sure hope someone develops a BP substitute that will match or surpass BH 209 without the ass reamer price tag
Not gonna happen, to much money in ass reamin'!

Sounds like a lot of money if you hunt like me , but home depot has sales on tape ! But I'm betting the roll I have will out last me and again I not only hunt a lot but shoot a lot and I attended the
last sale @ home depot !!!/Ed
I have used small water balloons

Back