Shooting Black Horn 209 in a TC Hawken.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening folks. I have an early model TC Hawken in .50cal. I was wondering if any of you shoot Black Horn 209 with it. Another gent I used to shoot stated he did after installing a "Mag Spark" 209 adapter. He uses the adapter 80grV of BH 209 then a dry .54 cal wool.felt patch and topped with a 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullet. He stated he gets excellent accuracy and hasn't had any problems or hang fires. Have any of or do any of you shoot BH 209 in your sidelocks? Any special procedure(s) you need to include?

Many thanks!
SHADOWFOX64!
I shot blackhorn 209 in my rem 700 inline,, & tried 2 different 209 breech plugs before it would fire. (the arrowhead & badger ridge are best) . Blackhorn 209 is just plain difficult to ignite. & i think you would be fortunate if it fired in the hawken at all. it may do fine with a really tight bullet, & i've read of using very small amount of black powder under the 209 as a primer charge,,, but that kind of defeats the purpose don't it??.. If you try it, be sure to post... (have a bullet puller handy :>).. As a matter of fact blackhorn 209 is what got me back to using real black powder,, after it wouldn't fire on a nice buck a few yrs back. (black powder is so much easier to ignite)

Last edited:
Most of my sidelocks wear Mag Sparks and Leupolds The Renegades all like them and they keep
freezers full ! Electrical tape over the muzzle and leave it in the garage (water proof) and set up like that will stay loaded for 3 months and be reliable firing at end of season with BH209 or OE 3f just in case I don't see fast food (not happened yet)
what state are you in?? (wondering how humid it is there) i put the mag spark on my t/c for the same reason (hoping it would waterproof it)... once back back in the late 80's,, i left my t/c hawken loaded for a year! (my marked ramrod told me it was still loaded) i knew i was gonna have a time unloading it, but it fired like it was freshly loaded (with no. 11 cap)..

I shot blackhorn 209 in my rem 700 inline,, & tried 2 different 209 breech plugs before it would fire. (the arrowhead & badger ridge are best) . Blackhorn 209 is just plain difficult to ignite. & i think you would be fortunate if it fired in the hawken at all. it may do fine with a really tight bullet, & i've read of using very small amount of black powder under the 209 as a primer charge,,, but that kind of defeats the purpose don't it??.. If you try it, be sure to post... (have a bullet puller handy :>).. As a matter of fact blackhorn 209 is what got me back to using real black powder,, after it wouldn't fire on a nice buck a few yrs back. (black powder is so much easier to ignite)
I don't have to as it works every time tried ,you need to firmly seat conical . I use my conicals as cast (506) with pure and they stay put in my Renegades . Ed

I don't have to as it works every time tried ,you need to firmly seat conical . I use my conicals as cast (506) with pure and they stay put in my Renegades . Ed
with blackhorn 209?? if yours fires every time,, the bullet "tightness" was probably the majority of the problem i had when i was using it,, i was shooting a sabot back then,, & don't remember it being very tight loading... i do remember reading that it needed some tension,, must have been more than i was using for sure...

See my post in this thread about using igniter charges with BH209 in a side lock.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/black-horn.55817/#post-526962

See my post in this thread about using igniter charges with BH209 in a side lock.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/black-horn.55817/#post-526962
Not needed, my Renegade for yrs has been lighting up BH 209 under Lyman Plains an Accurate (EYE) bullet in 50/54 cal reliable and water proof with electrical tape over the muzzle and a Mag Spark setting off CCI 209s
( a closed system ) and will go from Nov- till middle of Jan and killed a nice doe day before closing ! /Ed

Not needed, my Renegade for yrs has been lighting up BH 209 under Lyman Plains an Accurate (EYE) bullet in 50/54 cal reliable and water proof with electrical tape over the muzzle and a Mag Spark setting off CCI 209s
( a closed system ) and will go from Nov- till middle of Jan and killed a nice doe day before closing ! /Ed
i'm using magnum cci 209's in my mag spark. (got great accuracy in my 50 cal hawken barrel) used these because i had a brick of them.. hope it produces great accuracy in my rice 45cal 18twist! I wish these components were as easy to get today as they were 20yrs ago!.

The MagSpark is a nice option, but I’d be surprised if the MagSpark is as waterproof as a tight #11. It may be, but I doubt it. The other thing with the MagSpark is that it probably takes twice as long to reload as it would just using caps (and an igniter charge with BH209) - for me anyway.

The MagSpark is a nice option, but I’d be surprised if the MagSpark is as waterproof as a tight #11. It may be, but I doubt it. The other thing with the MagSpark is that it probably takes twice as long to reload as it would just using caps (and an igniter charge with BH209) - for me anyway.
As previously stated (NO) igniter charge used ! And yup it's slower on a reload ,what I would expect using a muzzle loader . And it is (absolutely water proof) I can tell you've never used one ,as I described electrical tape over the muzzle and the cap screwed tight on the base it is waterproof ! I find #11 caps are not that handi either and I always have a spare cap in my bag in case I lose the one I came with so that is not an issue . There's also the benefit
of using a hot 209 with other subs too and always the alternative to your proffered source of ignition when you find the self is empty of #11primers but go with what you brung /Ed

i'm using magnum cci 209's in my mag spark. (got great accuracy in my 50 cal hawken barrel) used these because i had a brick of them.. hope it produces great accuracy in my rice 45cal 18twist! I wish these components were as easy to get today as they were 20yrs ago!.
What I used regular CCI 209 s in my LR TC Renegade with a 1-17twist Rice barrel recently sold

how well did that barrel group?? mine is 18 twist on the hawken, i'll be testing it later today & this weekend...,, my renegade barrel is on the way in the next day or 2...
Great a lot better grouping than it should have given my eyes and veniers and Globe by Lee Shaver . Why I parted with it because I had a plan (B) .Called a 1874 Pedersoli with a special 1 of a kind Maybe 4-5 in the country paper patch breech chamber purchased from a friend I shoot with also a member here too. But that's not the plan (B) it's the Malcolm siding scope that goes on it in the stock dovetails , I can actually see again with 6x , bought it an works great !

Great a lot better grouping than it should have given my eyes and veniers and Globe by Lee Shaver . Why I parted with it because I had a plan (B) .Called a 1874 Pedersoli with a special 1 of a kind Maybe 4-5 in the country paper patch breech chamber purchased from a friend I shoot with also a member here too. But that's not the plan (B) it's the Malcolm siding scope that goes on it in the stock dovetails , I can actually see again with 6x , bought it an works great !
i've been having the same thoughts. (plan B).. i can wear glasses & see the sights well,, or see the target ,, its very difficult to see both! One of those period scopes would do the trick, I installed one (similar scope) on a friends sharps rifle a few yrs back & feel this would cure my seeing/shooting problems too!!
The mounts are available for a 3/8 dovetail, adding an extra dovetail to my barrel shouldn't be too difficult, or just install mounts for the micrometer bases.. Guess i have a new project too!!

i've been having the same thoughts. (plan B).. i can wear glasses & see the sights well,, or see the target ,, its very difficult to see both! One of those period scopes would do the trick, I installed one (similar scope) on a friends sharps rifle a few yrs back & feel this would cure my seeing/shooting problems too!!
The mounts are available for a 3/8 dovetail, adding an extra dovetail to my barrel shouldn't be too difficult, or just install mounts for the micrometer bases.. Guess i have a new project too!!
On the 6x (slider) from Hi Lux it uses existing dove tails ,Youtube is your friend (sometimes)/Ed

Back