Shooting Triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on a learning curve with this powder. Both Triple 7 FFg and FFFg. I'm still working on squeezing out the best accuracy with different rifles which is normal when using a new powder. But my learning is coming in with dealing with the infamous crud ring. Shooting this powder in my inline rifles and I've had patches get stuck just at or below the ring and needed to remove the BP a few times or dig my patch worm out of my shooting box.
I've since learned that, while I always used short strokes swabbing between shots, now when I reach the crud ring I have to shorten these strokes even more until the patch goes easily through it. Otherwise the ring grabs the patch and pulls it off the jag.
Although it can be a hassle, now that I'm getting the hang of swabbing the bore using T7, it's not so bad. I'm also liking the groups I'm getting vs BH209 and even my favorite Black MZ.
So if you decide to use T7, swab gently my friends!!!

When I began shooting T7 again at the range it was a learning curve all over again. I too use windex to dampen patches used to bust the ring up. Since I only use T7 at the range I carry two rods and use one for loading the other for patching.

I use a big folded patch, dripping in Windex, flip it over and do a second time with the dripping patch.

Then I repeat with alcohol, wet and dripping.

Then a big dryer patch all four corners, then fire a cap or two into the center with the ram rod down.

I'm on a learning curve with this powder. Both Triple 7 FFg and FFFg. I'm still working on squeezing out the best accuracy with different rifles which is normal when using a new powder. But my learning is coming in with dealing with the infamous crud ring. Shooting this powder in my inline rifles and I've had patches get stuck just at or below the ring and needed to remove the BP a few times or dig my patch worm out of my shooting box.
I've since learned that, while I always used short strokes swabbing between shots, now when I reach the crud ring I have to shorten these strokes even more until the patch goes easily through it. Otherwise the ring grabs the patch and pulls it off the jag.
Although it can be a hassle, now that I'm getting the hang of swabbing the bore using T7, it's not so bad. I'm also liking the groups I'm getting vs BH209 and even my favorite Black MZ.
So if you decide to use T7, swab gently my friends!!!
Ha, I have had this problem too!! but for me in my .50 Omega the patch goes past the ring and then the Jag, patch and rod have got stuck to the point that I have had to remove the BP and push the rod through. It was so bad for a while that I started using a .45 Jag. It may have been the thickness of my patch that was the problem. Now I go with a bronze brush 1st, then 1-2 wet patches and a dry patch after which seems to work.

Good Idea with the
Good Idea with the Bronze brush.
I learned a valuable lesson with my crud ring issue. That was to only use bronze brushes that are designed for muzzleloaders. The brushes that are made by crimping the wire into the base pull apart as you back them out of the barrel.

I used to get the infamous “crud ring” with 100 grains of T7 pellets, recently I picked up some loose T7 powder, and experimenting with charge weights I found 85gr with a Shockwave bullet, in a crush rib sabot was my sweet spot with the T/C Triumph. Also as a side benefit, much less of a crud ring? I can only quess why, but it works for me in both the T/C and a cheap CVA Wolf which I picked up as a backup

I too use an almost soaked isopropyl (diluted) patch to break it up then follow with one or two dry

I used to get the infamous “crud ring” with 100 grains of T7 pellets, recently I picked up some loose T7 powder, and experimenting with charge weights I found 85gr with a Shockwave bullet, in a crush rib sabot was my sweet spot with the T/C Triumph. Also as a side benefit, much less of a crud ring? I can only quess why, but it works for me in both the T/C and a cheap CVA Wolf which I picked up as a backup
I noticed the same thing too when I went to granular from pellets years ago. I watch pellet shooters at the range struggle trying to load a second shot, have seen a rod or two snapped attempting the second shot and generally a lot of cussing. Its amazing how many people just are not aware of the need to wipe that crud ring out, let alone knowing there's a crud ring there. I was at the club doing the final shot two weeks ago and there were two different parties that showed up to sight muzzies and both had issues with the crud ring. I took three shots with the Patriot, three with the Accura V2 and Optima Pistol both using bh, then spent an hour explaining things. These guys had four muzzies between the two parties. All were shooting 7 pellets. One Accura like mine, one Optima V2 and two, bolt, Knights of which I never did learn the models. I donated three 77 grain weighed charges of BH to each shooter and they used the bullets each was using. I let one guy use a 110 grain volume charge of T7fffg after he shot his BH samples.... he liked the lesser crud ring with the granular and was going to hunt a pound down along with a measure and go to that. The other three were going to look for blackhorn and measures.

Blackhorn and T7 granular shoot so close to each other I just don't understand why people won't buy the BH and take advantage of the peripheral plusses it offers in the field. 8 ounces would last five or six years in most instances for hunting, then use granular T7 at the range where crud ring issues are not going to be a headache. Accuracy is so close to identical that there is no fussing when one switches from one powder to the other.

Im already doing what MrTom suggests hunting with the small amount of BH I still have and plinking and range time I use my T7 fffg. This works out well for me because Im not buying anymore BH until price becomes resonable again. Ive found I can go several shots with the T7 fffg without swabbing if need be.

Let’s say 100 grn by volume,
8 ounces = 3500 grains by weight? I believe I could off. its what the google machine said.
Not counting for spilling any or having a little waste.
100grn by volume = about 70gr by weight weighing is more accurate. by that math its close to 50 shots. correct me if im wrong. someone that knows more!

Edit: had it back the numbers backwards, I apologize. My typo.

Last edited:
I believe I found the culprit with my swabbing between shots. I'm pretty sure its my .50 cal Spin Jag! The thing is so old and worn that it doesn't grip the patches any more.
I put a different jag on my range rod and had no problems with the patch slipping off.

Back