Shooting Triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a decade messing with 777 hard crud near the breech and again freezing my breechplugs, I said farewell to the powder.

It didn't take me long to say farewell to Blackhorn 209 shortly afterwards. I hunt in humidity of the Midwest large lakes and I was getting hangfire galore.

Now it's full-time Goex with my sidehammer and full-time White Hots pellets inside my inlines. Both of my inlines have sealed ignitions and breechplug designs to favor these WH pellets and not leave hard crusts and frozen breechplugs.

Life is good again inside the 200 miles of the Huron National Forests. I still shoot the load out everyday..... sometimes twice a day (lunchtime too), depending on the wetness around me.

Last edited:
I understand what you guys are saying about the BH powder but I think it's completely crazy to spend 90 bucks on 10 oz of powder when I can get a pound of 777 for 42 bucks. I hated dealing with the misfires using BH. You have to change breech plugs in some knights to shoot it. I can deal with the crud ring. I can finally notice a crud ring in my mountaineer after 7 shots with out cleaning. I give it a good scrub with a brass brush and Windex and I'm good to go again. 777 is a great powder and definitely more economical. I think a person just needs to figure out a system on there gun and stick with what works.

This whole thread makes me want to keep using BH209! Hahaha

That being said I am getting hang fires in my knight disc .52 trying to shoot full bore heavy lead. I was between t7 and goex to try next. Looks like goex is going to get the nod.

That being said I am getting hang fires in my knight disc .52 trying to shoot full bore heavy lead. I was between t7 and goex to try next. Looks like goex is going to get the nod.
Interesting, do you have the bare 209 BP and the SSK adapter? I just got My 52cal looking to shoot it soon with BH
Also what primers are you using?

Interesting, do you have the bare 209 BP and the SSK adapter? I just got My 52cal looking to shoot it soon with BH
Also what primers are you using?
It has the bare primer adapter. It shoots saboted bullets with BH209 just fine. I tried parker traditional hunters and it had hang fires.

My disc rifle was brand new so it couldn't of been dirty. I called knight and they said I needed a different breech plug. Another 80 bucks plus shipping. I told them to keep it since I had plenty of 777.

I'm still not going to switch to BH. I think it's absolutely crazy to spend over 90 dollars for 10 oz of powder. BH is only 10% hotter than 777. It's definitely not worth the money

I tried the Parker Traditional Hunters again with bh209 in my 52, making sure I was seating the bullet with some pressure, and it went bang just fine.

Back