Shot my Hawken today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Creek Boy

Reaction score
I shot my new to me TC Hawken 45 today. It shot well, on paper first shot at 40 yards then after some adjusting with prb and 70 g 22f I was at 2" for a six shot group. The trigger is lowsy, very heavy but breaks smooth. I do not use the set trigger while hunting so I will not use it for practice. The trigger is probably 10 pounds. I cleaned it, tightened the screws and it does not appear to hitting the wood any where. I lightly lubed it and re-assembled it and it is no better. Any ideas or tips to make it better are appreciated.

Well if its a T/C hawken try this. Pull the set trigger then turn in the trigger adjustment screw (screw between the 2 triggers) until it releases then back it off 1/2 turn. You can do this at half cock or with the hammer all the way forward.
Now try using only your front trigger. It should be somewhat lighter.

I shot my new to me TC Hawken 45 today. It shot well, on paper first shot at 40 yards then after some adjusting with prb and 70 g 22f I was at 2" for a six shot group. The trigger is lowsy, very heavy but breaks smooth. I do not use the set trigger while hunting so I will not use it for practice. The trigger is probably 10 pounds. I cleaned it, tightened the screws and it does not appear to hitting the wood any where. I lightly lubed it and re-assembled it and it is no better. Any ideas or tips to make it better are appreciated.
Have to dissemble lock stone and polish everything and correct angles of any parts like the sear you have to be careful you don't bugger it up if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself have someone help you that know what they are doing. Also when tightening screws continue to check that tightening itself is not making it worse or causing your problem. I had a bad trigger on a trade rifle once that had the same problem and one of the issues was the sear trip lever was touching the wood in the inlet took a few thou of it and did everything i mentioned above and it was unreal after that !

Use will do it. My Hawken had a similar pull to yours. 200 shots, give or take, and it improved significantly. A dab of moly grease on the sears, not too much, and it's very fine. Prefer it to the sets. Sets add to lock time too as it's a step between the trigger pull and the sear trip.

Have to dissemble lock stone and polish everything and correct angles of any parts like the sear you have to be careful you don't bugger it up if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself have someone help you that know what they are doing. Also when tightening screws continue to check that tightening itself is not making it worse or causing your problem. I had a bad trigger on a trade rifle once that had the same problem and one of the issues was the sear trip lever was touching the wood in the inlet took a few thou of it and did everything i mentioned above and it was unreal after that !
Not necessarily. It could be that the trigger is just adjusted improperly. Polishing will help but some are afraid to do such things.

I've taken apart the locks on most of my sidelocks. Started with 400 grit paper and finished with 600 grit polishing paper. I only did the inside surface of the lock plate, main spring and the surface of the tumbler where it contacts the plate. Lightly oil and reassemble.
It definitely makes the lock function more smoothly, it even seems like the trigger pull lightened up.
You wouldn't believe the amount of grit and grime buildup behind the lock parts.

I took the lock apart today on my Hawken and cleaned up some areas using 600 paper and a mirror for a flat surface. Deermanok mentioned that he had improved some guns by polishing certain areas. It is smoother and a little lighter so an improvement. What is the allen screw in the tumbler flat for and also the fly has a long side, the side that is used, is it wear, and does that matter?????

Attachments

• 20231017_143212.jpg
    20231017_143212.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231017_133822.jpg
    20231017_133822.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 0
Absolutely (USE THE SET TRIGGER) it's there for a reason , and will result in a trigger rivaling any of my custom trigger center fires !/Ed

It is an early 70's early lock for the Hawken. I found one online post that states a person with instructions from an early rifle that says it is to adjust the sear but the tumbler was later changed because after adjusting to loosely that when the hammer slipped it broke the sear or tumbler. Found only one mention of it in my searches. Attached is the link.

TC Hawken Trigger

It is a 112xxx range serial number. I have a Renegade with 32xxxx serial number that has the new style tumbler. Nice, quality rifles and since I will be hunting I need a decent trigger so if I can not make it better I hope to get a Davis or other replacement for next season.

Back