Bare Primer Knight Rifle Bolt Advise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think they go between the breech plug and barrel ?
That, imho, would greatly increase the risk of gas cutting in the threads and/or cutting the barrel face where the plug seats. Little shims going into that primer pocket really only risk the plug, and are a lot easier to install or remove, if needed.

That, imho, would greatly increase the risk of gas cutting in the threads and/or cutting the barrel face where the plug seats. Little shims going into that primer pocket really only risk the plug, and are a lot easier to install or remove, if needed.
Well it's been a while and i'd have to back to my old emails but a guy that use to shoot for knight used a copper washer in between his breech plug and barrel I think he was shooting a 500 as well. I was having troubles with my RPJ breech plug at the time as well as some misfires and missed a opportunity at a monster whitetail (for Arizona) and Justin from Knight put me in touch with this guy. Then I had Jeff Fisk insatll a bare primer set up but never tried it because I lost interest in the 500 for a long time, actually sold it to my old boss and he never fired it one time. He ended up giving it back with a long range vortex scope to boot and all for free after I got him a real big job with an old contact of mine. Now I decided to go to Colorado next year with a friend to elk hunt and want to put this 500 to use. I don't think i'm too far off getting it corrected I was shooting 300 yards the other day no problems at all just not being able to get that bare primer in by hand and the bolt closing issue. I also have been using CCI 209M primers and thought I would try some 209A so just picked up a 1000 at sportsman's warehouse yesterday. I think I may have figured out my bolt closing issue I don't think I had the firing pin bolt backed out of the bolt assembly far enough so I backed it out two turns and seems to close much better now. Since iv'e been a White Rifle shooter for so long I really didn't much effort in learning about these bolt guns much but really appreciate all the responses Iv'e got and i realize this is old news for a lot of you guy's here so thanks again for the advise and i'll keep you posted on my progress.
MS

Well it's been a while and i'd have to back to my old emails but a guy that use to shoot for knight used a copper washer in between his breech plug and barrel I think he was shooting a 500 as well. I was having troubles with my RPJ breech plug at the time as well as some misfires and missed a opportunity at a monster whitetail (for Arizona) and Justin from Knight put me in touch with this guy. Then I had Jeff Fisk insatll a bare primer set up but never tried it because I lost interest in the 500 for a long time, actually sold it to my old boss and he never fired it one time. He ended up giving it back with a long range vortex scope to boot and all for free after I got him a real big job with an old contact of mine. Now I decided to go to Colorado next year with a friend to elk hunt and want to put this 500 to use. I don't think i'm too far off getting it corrected I was shooting 300 yards the other day no problems at all just not being able to get that bare primer in by hand and the bolt closing issue. I also have been using CCI 209M primers and thought I would try some 209A so just picked up a 1000 at sportsman's warehouse yesterday. I think I may have figured out my bolt closing issue I don't think I had the firing pin bolt backed out of the bolt assembly far enough so I backed it out two turns and seems to close much better now. Since iv'e been a White Rifle shooter for so long I really didn't much effort in learning about these bolt guns much but really appreciate all the responses Iv'e got and i realize this is old news for a lot of you guy's here so thanks again for the advise and i'll keep you posted on my progress.
MS
Im surprised the bolt would close at all with a copper washer in between the plug and barrel. The plug may have been built with a copper seal in mind. I can see the benefit of using copper there, instead of a steel shim, to seal the plug, if the pressure were so high that gas cutting became a real concern, in guns like the Peregrine or the 500. Copper will squish and conform whereas steel will not. Copper is not a good choice as a shim for the same reason that it is good for sealing very high pressures. A steel shim will stay nearly the same dimensionally but not provide a great seal. But shimming just the primer pocket could be done in any plug to adjust for different length 209s without changing the length of the plug and possibly interfering with the bolt closing all the way.

No shims in my ultraLight bare primer breech plug that was purchased un sized from Jeff Fisk. It works perfectly after being turned to size here. It is sized for 209a, and CCI shotgun primers. It is almost a rush shooting something that works so perfectly.

Back