Bare Primer Knight Rifle Bolt Advise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Howdy, been a bit since I been on here but can use some tips or help please. I finally used my bare primer bolt set up for my Knight-500 today that I had Jeff Fisk at Bestill Creations set up for me a while back. Two things one the primer gets stuck in the bolt and I have to dry fire it after shooting it to get the primer to fall out on it's own. Then the bolt didn't seem quite the same or smooth as the jacketed bolt not sure if it's just a wear in deal or are there issues that can be addressed i was looking for wear patterns but it may be the bolt riding over the top of the trigger release but have not shot it enough to get any wear pattern. Appreciate any advise on this.
Thanks
MS

Last edited:
What does Jeff have to say about these issues?
Haven't spoke with him yet today is the first time I used it will send him a e-mail or call him but since a holiday didn't want to bother him.

Having to recock the rifle is common in Knight rifles. It is due to the fact the firing pin hole is so big it allows the primer to seep into the bolt. Dry firing it pushes the primer back into the cup, and allows the primer to fall out of the bolt.
Ok, that makes me feel better that it's not something going on with my set up. I'm also not crazy about trying to load a bare primer with my hands i have to pull the bolt out to get the primer in but i heard they may make a tool for that but in a hunting situation it shouldn't be too big of a deal !! Thanks for the info !

Sounds like you might want the Extreme Red FPJ Bolt with the Lehigh Adapter.

i have to pull the bolt out to get the primer in

Not me. Perhaps it is because we old carpenters have learned finger skills? This old fella has no problem loading, and unloading the ultraLite. It is necessary for even an old carpenter to dry fire the spent primer once. Then the rifle is just tilted to the side, and the primer falls out.

Not me. Perhaps it is because we old carpenters have learned finger skills? This old fella has no problem loading, and unloading the ultraLite. It is necessary for even an old carpenter to dry fire the spent primer once. Then the rifle is just tilted to the side, and the primer falls out.
Yes I can tilt rifle to side to dump spent primer but I can't put a bare primer in with my bare hands and finger skill has nothing to do with it, iv'e been an electrician for about 40 years and can match "finger" skills with anyone my fingers just don't fit with the amount of room in the action !

Yes I can tilt rifle to side to dump spent primer but I can't put a bare primer in with my bare hands and finger skill has nothing to do with it, iv'e been an electrician for about 40 years and can match "finger" skills with anyone my fingers just don't fit with the amount of room in the action !
I would love to see the bolt face. Wondering if it’s like Knights? Or like SSKs adapter? Or something different? I personally had some trouble with Knights design.

I would love to see the bolt face. Wondering if it’s like Knights? Or like SSKs adapter? Or something different? I personally had some trouble with Knights design.
Here's a couple of pic's

Attachments

• image_67166209.JPG
    image_67166209.JPG
    782.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image_167861761.JPG
    image_167861761.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
You would need a new breechplug to use the Red FPJ Bolt and Lehigh/SSK Adapter. I would contact Bestill.

You would have to order the Adapter and Breechplug from SSK. Sabotloader prefers this setup. I have only used the Adapter so I cannot comment on the Bare Primer Bolt.

That looks like the Knight bare primer bolt. I always had trouble with that. The SSK adapter(in the fpj bolt) and plug work so much better for me.
Yes that bolt is but I have both bolts. To be honest I really like the RPJ set up for hunting but I was getting some blown out primers I'll get some of the ssk and keep playing around with it I'm going to Colorado next year on a elk hunt so trying to get my testing done now this winter.

My set up uses a Bestill plug and a Knight FPJ bolt and a bare primer adapter (probably a Lehigh adapter).
Jeff took a little off the front of the adapter to make it work with his plug. Fired primers can be a bit sticky.

Latest posts

Back