Shot Show Wishes....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
With the SHOT show officially starting in 40min...I figured I would ask if anyone had any wishes or even prognostications as to what new products might be announced this year...

JC

I know mine...a new Fusion Slug load from Federal. A load featuring a 250-300gr Federal bonded Fusion bullet at 2000fps+/- would be a welcome from the folks at Federal~!

I wish the FN SCAR heavy in 308 would be avail in semi auto config to the public in 2007.

Rifleman said:
I wish the FN SCAR heavy in 308 would be avail in semi auto config to the public in 2007.

Wow...that is one serious looking rifle...JC

300px-ScarSandiaPix.jpg

FN SCAR / Mk.16 (top) and Mk.17 rifle prototypes (3rd generation, mid 2006)

wish list

I wish for a Ruger #K1-B in 204. I have a Ruger #1-V in 204, like the rifle but hate the weight. No chance of this happening. Why Ruger made the #1-A in .204 with a 22 inch barrel and sights is beyond me.

Ruger is discontinueing many calibers in the Ruger #1 this year. Just getting rid of the non-sellers.

Take a look at the new TC ICON centerfire bolt action rifle. One word, beautifull!! Available in .243, .308 and the new 30TC caliber.

T/C ICON

The new T/C Icon will no doubt enable T/C to have another banner year in 2007. These new rifles will be in short supply for sure.

JC research that Scar, very very serious rifle. It is like they took all the good features of the HK91,FN-Fal, Ak47, and M16, got rid of the bad stuff, and said how can we make this with the newest materials, using the most modern production methods, and make it modular. I think if they are politically astute, this rifle just might be the one to replace the M16A2, and the M4. I am impressed to say the least by what I have read so far.

Re: T/C ICON

choc-dog said:
The new T/C Icon will no doubt enable T/C to have another banner year in 2007. These new rifles will be in short supply for sure.

Do you think any will even be AVAILABLE this year?

Chuck,

I honestly think the new barrel production willl the slow T/C down. Likely not to see the new rifle until July or September 2007.

Greg

Left handed Remington 700 SPS. Remington to chamber 2506 and 338wm in a left handed action bolt.

I like the 700 action but being lefthanded I am sick of having to settle or go custom.

Not holding my breath though :x

Re: T/C ICON

big6x6 said:
choc-dog said:

Do you think any will even be AVAILABLE this year?
Projected to start shipping Mid March. Production to the end of October is now presold.

Good, bad and Ugly: New products at the SHOT Show perplexing
Jim Matthews
Article Launched: 01/12/2007 12:00:00 AM PST

This year's new cartridge introductions are mostly baffling.

The Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show is ongoing this week in Orlando, Fla. The annual event showcases hunting and shooting products, even though most of the products have been unveiled at industry buying shows and events over the past three months.

Normally, I look for the bright spots from this show - the innovative new products from little makers or the trends and advancements that make the hunters and shooters more effective or allow them to have more fun in the field.

This year there are two new permutations of the .308 Winchester - the .300 TC and the .308 Marlin Express. The case configurations are not exactly the same as the Winchester round, but the two new cartridges are close and the ballistics are within a whisper of each other.

The .308 Marlin Express touts a peppier cartridge - say like a .308 Winchester - that could function in a Marlin lever rifle platform. The problem with using a .308 Winchesters chamber is the round is mostly loaded with pointed bullets - and Marlin rifles have a tubular magazine. Using the Winchester round would put pointed bullets against primers, one after the other. Under an unlucky set of circumstances, one could go off, setting off the next one, and so on, resulting in a nasty chain explosion rending the gun into scrap metal.
Because pointed bullets are more aerodynamic than round-nosed or flat-pointed ones that can function through a tubular magazine without the explosive dangers, lever rifle hunters apparently have yearned for pointed bullets.

Hornady designed a line of ammunition called LeverEvolution that feature pointed bullets with the pointy part made from a substance that was firm but soft enough not to fire a primer. Loaded in standard lever rifle cartridges - like .30-30s and .45-70s - the aerodynamic bullets added 75 to 100 yards to the effective range of those venerable old rounds.

But apparently, that wasn't enough. Lever rifle hunters desperately needed their guns to be 350-yard rifles. So Marlin engineers huddled with Hornady and redesigned the .308 Winchester, loaded it with those spongy-nosed bullets for use in lever rifles, probably toned down chamber pressures a snick under what the Winchester round generates so as to not tweak lever actions, and came up with a new version of an old round.

The .300 TC, for Thompson/Center, has even less justification for existence than the .308 Marlin Express. It is basically a .308 Winchester given a steroid pill, so its bullet speeds out the end of the barrel 100 fps or so faster. It's really nothing more than the special Light Magnum .308 Winchester loads from Hornady, but T/C has this nice new bolt action rifle called the Icon. Neither of these cartridges make sense to me. First, if you want an honest 300-yard rifle, get a bolt-gun that can shoot accurately enough to make field shots at that distance. Why shoot a lever gun that probably won't shoot groups small enough to give you confidence for 300-yard shots? If you want a new round with your name on it, why design something that looks, smells, tastes, and sizzles just like something already on the market?

These developments remind me of the era when every rifle company had to chamber a cartridge that was slightly different than its competitor's cosmetically, but the same ballistically. We seem to be doing this again. At the close of the 1800s and early into the last century, there were usually two versions of everything - Winchester and Remington, and frequently more. Since I just bought a lovely used Model 1899 Savage lever rifle in .303 Savage, I'll use that example. Most people know the .30-30 Winchester, but the .303 Savage and .30 Remington were competitors with the Winchester round. Eventually, only one survived. Today, .303 Savage brass - just brass, not loaded ammo - is $35 for a box of 20 rounds. While there were debates in 1930 deer camps about which was better, the three are essentially ballistic triplets.

You will hear the same, hair-splitting debates about how the two new .308 Winchester imitators are different and/or better, but the two new rounds are destined to be niche market flashes and eventual failures. Guys like me will buy them because we like the weird stuff, but that doesn't mean they make good marketing sense. Collectors will covet them just 20 years from now because there are only a few genuine nutcases like me out there.

Jim Matthews' outdoors column appears on Friday.
http://www.sbsun.com/sports/ci_4997451

30TC???

I thought we had more 284 diameter cartridges than we needed and now we have more 308 diameter than we need.

A 25-308 or a 25-30TC would have been nice. At least a true .25 short action round for the short action rifle.

Like I said there would be more consumer demand for the 260 rem than the 30TC. The 30TC will have an initial surge then die a slow death.

choc-dog

I think the 260 Rem is a fantastic round. I have been looking at them for quite awhile but have little use for CF rounds... I figure this could be a GREAT heavy varmint round.

Latest posts

Back