sighting in help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter08

Reaction score
I just got a Thompson Center Omega 50 cal. with a bushnel banner scope. I've been shooting 100 grains of triple 7 pellets with 295 gr. powerbelt bullets. I've been trying to sight it in at 50 yards but I can't get it to shoot groups of any sort. One shot will be on then it will shoot 6" low then it will go high. Without even moving the scope it does this. What could be causing my grouping problem.

Sorry for the long post.

Bad scope... Remove the scope and see how it groups with open sights. Then you'll know... just don't waste alot of time and money trying to make it shoot with a bad scope. I purchased 3 new scopes last year that had to be returned. It happens more often than you think. :shock:

Guess #1: Bad scope

Guess #2: Bad bullet, powder combination.

My Omega doesn't like powerbelts and 100 grains of 777. Had to drop to 90 grains to get accuracy. However, I use loose powder, which is 15% stronger. Example: 100 grains 777 and 348 gr powerbelts in my Omega = 5 inchs groups at 25 yards! However, dropped to 90 grains and the bullet holes are touching. AND, my brother's Omega shoots 348 gr powerbelts great with 110 grains 777. Same gun, different combinations for accuracy!

Bottom line is there is no easy answer but range time with differnt bullet/powder combinations.

Bad scope... Remove the scope and see how it groups with open sights

Agreed, start with the scope first, you got to rule it out the equation. Then start looking into the load / bullet combinations.

txhunter had some good thoughts. let me give you mine.

Might be a bad scope, BUT I own a Banner. Had it on my ML then switched it to my 45/70. Works perfect, I can shoot very tight groups at 100with it. Granted you might have got a bum scope, but I have had no problems with my banner.

Omegas don't seem to like lighter PB's. I couldn't get 245 or 295's to shoot worth a dang out of mine shooting 100-120 grains loose.

Soooooo I switched to 348's, same result with 100-120 grains of loose pyrodex. Backed it off to 90 grains and BINGO, was shooting nicely at 100 yards.

Personally I don't reccomend shooting powerboobs (I have had very inconsistent performance with them) BUT if you do you might want to try a heavier bullet and less powder out of the Omega. Worked for me.

BTW, I am switching to a solid conical IF and WHEN I break out the Omega again. ( I just bought a smokeless, that might be a while)

elkstalkr said:
Personally I don't reccomend shooting powerboobs

BTW, I am switching to a solid conical IF and WHEN I break out the Omega again. ( I just bought a smokeless, that might be a while)

Ain't THAT the truth! Once you go smokeless the rest ain't worth the trouble. :D

Unless you have too, such as Co.
I use 115 T7 loose with a wonderwad with 348 powerbelt and it shoots very well out of my Omega.
Redclub

This is the second scope I have had on it and it was doing the same thing with the first scope so I don't think that is it. I will try the new bullet and powder combinations.

Thanks for the help

shooter08 said:
This is the second scope I have had on it and it was doing the same thing with the first scope so I don't think that is it. I will try the new bullet and powder combinations.

Thanks for the help

Been there-done that
Try the open sights...

Latest posts

Back