Arrowhead .45 NSR Bullets on Deer??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have, at the moment switched from using 300gr Furys in my custom smokeless to 300gr Arrowhead NSR's. The no sizing required is nice, but my question is "how effective are they on deer"? I noticed that the aluminum tips on the bullets are not stationary, they can easily be twisted, unlike the Pittmans. I made the switch because I was losing stability of my 300gr Furys at some point between 100 and 200yrds. These are very accurate at both 100 and 200 yards (switched to them based on the advice of my builder). I don't mind sizing bullets, so that isn't a big deal. I just want something that is going to be accurate at long range and be quite effective on deer. I am heading out to IA next week for late ML, and have two late seasons here in IL, so my rifle "should" see some action. I have only shot one deer with this gun so far, and I used a Fury 300gr black tip at 30 yards (blew apart the buck's shoulder and dropped him on the spot). That is another concern, "how will the Arrowheads perform at close range on deer"? I could shoot one at 300yrds or one at 30yrds based on the locations I hunt. Anyone with Arrowhead bullet experience please chime in. Thanks.

I shoot both bullets myself. The Fury will hammer a whitetail. This year, I decided to use one of the long range target bullets, the Arrowhead 350gr XLD, but with BH209.
Took an 8pt with it. Slightly angled frontal shot, in on left side of the chest, exited behind the right shoulder. Knocked him end over end. No lungs left what so ever.

Harley how did the bullets I mailed shoot?
I only shot the Pittman's, and yes they shot well at 100yrds-clover leafed. Didn't take them beyond that simply because I didn't want to use them up. I had ordered the Arrowheads based on the advice of my builder, and only have so many Pittman's, so I didn't want to place another expensive order at this point. I am guessing I will switch to the Pittman's eventually. And thanks again for the awesome price and fast shipping. I am going to shoot at 100yrds again today (not nearly as windy as it was Saturday), but can only shoot to 100yrds again. Each of those bullets will group well at 100 yards, but I have to change my zero depending on the bullet used. In the case of the Arrowhead, even though it was 300grns, just like my Furys, for whatever reason it was significantly lower at 100yrds with the same powder charge. It has a higher BC than the Fury so that didn't make any sense to me. It could have been the wind however. That being said, I found it odd that I only needed to adjust 6 clicks at 200yrds to hit the bullseye??? Again, variable winds could easily have been the factor.

Shot my first deer with an NSR 300 gr 45 cal this year at 160 yards. Labradar 2,500 at the muzzle. Quartering away entered behind the shoulder and exited the neck. DRT. Good expansion. Only second animal I’ve shot with them. Shot an elk last year with same load. Broadside lung shot with pass thru at 310.

Attachments

• 33CC9179-1D46-4FC0-AC49-EE64108804A1.jpeg
    33CC9179-1D46-4FC0-AC49-EE64108804A1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Shot my first deer with an NSR 300 gr 45 cal this year at 160 yards. Labradar 2,500 at the muzzle. Quartering away entered behind the shoulder and exited the neck. DRT. Good expansion. Only second animal I’ve shot with them. Shot an elk last year with same load. Broadside lung shot with pass thru at 310.
Good to know-what powder and charge were you using? I'm currently using 72grns of 4198 and 78grns of H322. They perform almost identically.

I’m shooting 105 grs of BH by weight with a CCI 250 primer. Haven’t tried smokeless yet. Set it up to mainly use where black powder or a substitute is required. This load is shooting just over half MOA at three hundred. May give smokeless a try at some point to use here at home.

Just to clarify, you are using those charges on a .45 cal 300Gr NSR bullet? Have you tried Reloader 7?
Haven't tried R7, I plan on doing a bunch of experimenting after the season is over, just no time now. Actually headed out to the field in about an hour or so. Hoping they will be on their feet today with a storm coming in early Thur AM.

Latest posts

Back