Strange zero Issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ddown5 said:
SIghtron 1.5-6 X 42 no other model # It's discontinued

Thank you... Then the specifications that Shawn posted are really the correct specs. I did a search also and came up with the same information on 3 different sites.

If you have had an opportunity to look at those specs he posted? Look at the line accented with yellow.

Sightron_III.jpg

It reads the click value is 1/4" and again it is a 1" movement from number to number on either dial.

It also tells you can make 70" total move with the scope - so if your dials were set midrange at the factory you could move 35" up or down/left or right from the factory setting

I would suggest to you that the specs are correct but for you to really see it work - forget the elevation adjustment and work with the windage side of the scope. No bullets needed. Set up a target @ 25 yards from the muzzle. Sight the scope directly on the bull or a spot on the target. While holding the rifle directly on the spot have another person turn the windage knob either right or left 16 clicks either right or left. If you were able to hold the rifle still and it did not move - the cross hairs should be 1" left or right depending on which way the knob was turned.

Dealing with elevation gains and losses are more difficult to predict because the weight, BC, of the bullet + powder charge, 'harmonic vibrations of the barrel will effect the amount of movement necessary. The other factor in the elevation formula is the BH powder you are using. The heavier the bullet you are using the more efficient the powder is creating greater velocities. lessening the drop of that bullet. With a 240 bullet BH is not nearly as efficient as it is with a 300 grain bullet. The only way you can really make the correct elevation adjustment is to actually shoot the bullet then make the calculations of clicks you need for that bullet with that charge.

I am not a very good writer so this might not make much sense to you... but the jist of this is not to compare the number of clicks it might take with the 240 to point as to what it might take to move the 300.

What eever I hope you get it all figured out for the bullet you want to shoot - good Luck

My scope is the 42 not the 50 you have listed 1.5-6X42

I appreciate your help maybe you can clarify this?

I was 6 inches high and 6 inches left thought it was a 1/4 inch scope 24 clicks would bring it to zero. 6x4=24 Well that took it completely off target. Moved it back 20 clicks in each direction perfectly zeroed.

I also did not adjust at 25 because it was used gun as was 1 inch high and centered

I'll take it back to 25 then 50 then to 100 I think I"ll find it's a1" click scope but that will confirm. I've never heard of a defect causing something like this have you? I would imagine a defect would only be in one axis.

Thanks for your help

My nikons, leopolds every other scope I ever owned were 1/4 click have shot blackhorn about 6 years this isn't new stuff but this one is a puzzle

I've seen 1/2" click and 1/4" click scopes but I haven't ever heard of a scope using 1" adjustment and certainly not one that adjusts at a rate for one bullet weight and yet another for a different bullet weight. And that photograph of the turret is indeed graduated in 1/4". I'd find a convenient garbage can and go buy a decent scope. I spent this last summer on the gun range a lot with three different guns, two with Nikons, and I shot a ton of different bullet weights and brands anywhere from 25 to 100 yards and I didn't have to make adjustments of over an inch. If that scope of yours is moving the poi 1" per click using one bullet weight and only a fraction of that with a bullet only 60 grains heavier, it should go in the trash.

Normally I'd agree but these are over 400.oo scopes on a par with Leopold and Nikon according to reviews from Wakeman and hundreds of other users. The view is better than the nikon Omega I got rid of I think further testing is required and possibly call to company.

That scope is definitely 1/4"/click. If it's not performing like that, it's either a problem with the scope, rings, or shooter.

BuckDoeHunter said:
I read the turret as IN/100yds. I see 0-7 with .25 increments so wouldn't that be each click is .25 inches at 100 yards?

That is the way I read it also.

I've never heard of a scope with 1" clicks, and while I'm not an expert I can't imagine any upper end scope having even more than 1/4" clicks. Have u called Sightron? I have a bunch - they are great scopes and have excellent warranty and cust service.

No mysteries Sabot loader was right it is 1/4 with 300SST bullets however with the 240 XTP green sabots the gas seal with BH209 is such that it over reacts to scope adjustment. Tried some 300 grain XTP with black Sabots 1/4. Tried a 295 powerboat from bottom of bag 1/4. went back to 240 green sabot same issue. strange tales from the range. All fixed and sighted in with 300s for opener we were talking three or four inches at 100 yards here but it just wasn't making sense. Still is strange.

From SABOTLOADER "Dealing with elevation gains and losses are more difficult to predict because the weight, BC, of the bullet + powder charge, 'harmonic vibrations of the barrel will effect the amount of movement necessary. The other factor in the elevation formula is the BH powder you are using. The heavier the bullet you are using the more efficient the powder is creating greater velocities. lessening the drop of that bullet. With a 240 bullet BH is not nearly as efficient as it is with a 300 grain bullet. The only way you can really make the correct elevation adjustment is to actually shoot the bullet then make the calculations of clicks you need for that bullet with that charge."

click adj. do not change on scope no matter what bullet or powder you use..it will be 1/4 in. clicks no matter what

ddown5 said:
From SABOTLOADER "Dealing with elevation gains and losses are more difficult to predict because the weight, BC, of the bullet + powder charge, 'harmonic vibrations of the barrel will effect the amount of movement necessary. The other factor in the elevation formula is the BH powder you are using. The heavier the bullet you are using the more efficient the powder is creating greater velocities. lessening the drop of that bullet. With a 240 bullet BH is not nearly as efficient as it is with a 300 grain bullet. The only way you can really make the correct elevation adjustment is to actually shoot the bullet then make the calculations of clicks you need for that bullet with that charge."

It may be 1/4 inch click but depending on sabot, seal to barrel or fit, bullet weight may effect POI on target. 1/4 of an inch big difference between what you click and bullet impact. If it was all perfect wouldn't need to shoot.

If you move the scope one click (1/4") all you are doing is changing the point of aim by 1/4", the bullet is irrelevant. You could accomplish the same thing by adjusting your hold by 1/4".
If that's not what's happening, it's you, the gun, the scope or mounts.
That two different weight bullets with all else being the same would have different points of impact is expected.

I shot one of my rifles last weekend. Changed bullets in that rifle from a 240gr Speer to a 250gr Lehigh. POI was 6" lower on the Lehigh. I was quite surprised, thought it would have been much closer. Hopefully you will get her dialed in now :D

While initial point of impact may be different between 2 different bullets, if you click one bullet 4 clicks at 100 yds it will move one inch, if you click another bullet of a different weight 4 clicks at 100 yds it will move 1 inch also..impossible for it not to, the scope is doing the adjusting not the bullet..

ddown5 said:
It may be 1/4 inch click but depending on sabot, seal to barrel or fit, bullet weight may effect POI on target. 1/4 of an inch big difference between what you click and bullet impact. If it was all perfect wouldn't need to shoot.

Ballistics, drop, Areodynamics, tightness of gas check of or when bullet leaves Sabot are all variables that can effect a mathematical absolute. In 90% of cases you are correct. Shoot a Barnes adjust a few clicks a zero Shoot a Powerbelt may take different amount of clicks to zero even if it's same weight. A Hornady might be different yet. That's why people find a particular Sabot, and Bullet combination and stick with it variables throw everything off.

Again read Sabotloader's post he's probably the most knowledgable SUPERMODERATER on this forum

I'm good It was just the Hornady 240 XTP with green Sabots third 2 other bullets all worked fine something that became a valuable leaning experience. 240s work just a little screwy to get zeroed. I'm hunting with the 300 Hornadys

Often rifle scopes will have two different parts that use MRAD or MOA. These are the wind and elevation adjustments, and in many modern precision rifle scopes, the reticle. Typically the adjustments on most common scopes are either .1 Mil (or 1/10 of a milliradian) or 1/4 MOA. At 100 yards, the .1 Mil adjustment subtends .36″ at 100 yards (about 1/3″) and the 1/4 MOA subtends .26″ at 100 yards (about a 1/4″). From this we can say 1/4 MOA adjustments tend to be finer, or less coarse, than .1 Mil adjustments.

There are some notable exceptions to these common adjustments found on optics. For instance, Nightforce Optics makes or has made scopes with 1 MOA, 1/8 MOA and .2 Mil adjustments. To make things even more confusing, until recently, you’d often encounter MRAD reticles with MOA adjustments! Fortunately, shooters have grown wise to this folly and you don’t see them as much any more.

Also Sightron makes 2 currently in the inventory.

The picture you posted clearly shows 0-7 in inches and in between each number is 4 clicks/marks to reach the next number....Isnt it obvious that those are 1/4" clicks? That model is listed in two magazines from 2009. Gun Digest and Guns Illustrated.

Part# SII 1.56x42 https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-s ... 56x42.html

Attachments

• Screenshot-2017-11-11 Sightron SII 1 5-6x42mm Riflescope SII1 56x42 Rifle scope .png
    Screenshot-2017-11-11 Sightron SII 1 5-6x42mm Riflescope SII1 56x42 Rifle scope .png
    17.4 KB · Views: 165
Back