Successful Wyoming Deer Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I was able to harvest a nice 6 pt Whitetail in Wyoming. After arriving in WY, we discovered that the area we were hunting was again hit hard by EHD this year, making it two years in a row. It made for tough hunting let me tell you. The disease wiped out most of the older mature deer. The rancher had taken two dump truck loads of dead mature deer, most were bucks, off of his property. So we were a little concerned about the situation. We saw some deer, and the few bucks we did see were all 1-1/2 yr old deer. But I did find this buck. Used my TC Omega 50 cal, shooting 72 grs weighed FFG 777, and a LEE 310 gr .430 cast bullet w/green Harvester sabot. Shot was quartering on at 45 yds. Shot thru the heavy shoulder bone and the bullet ended up on the other side right under the skin. So much for practicing out to 250 yds! 😁1 (2).pngLEE310.jpg

Way to go. It really sucks when nature pulls a fast one on a guy's hunt, but it happens. That deer will be dandy eating!

I was able to harvest a nice 6 pt Whitetail in Wyoming. After arriving in WY, we discovered that the area we were hunting was again hit hard by EHD this year, making it two years in a row. It made for tough hunting let me tell you. The disease wiped out most of the older mature deer. The rancher had taken two dump truck loads of dead mature deer, most were bucks, off of his property. So we were a little concerned about the situation. We saw some deer, and the few bucks we did see were all 1-1/2 yr old deer. But I did find this buck. Used my TC Omega 50 cal, shooting 72 grs weighed FFG 777, and a LEE 310 gr .430 cast bullet w/green Harvester sabot. Shot was quartering on at 45 yds. Shot thru the heavy shoulder bone and the bullet ended up on the other side right under the skin. So much for practicing out to 250 yds! 😁View attachment 27908View attachment 27909
Congrats! Nice job recovering the bullet.:lewis:

Two dump truck loads of dead deer?!? That’s crazy! Congrats on finding one to put your tag on.

Congratulations! It’s been a tough year here in Indiana too. EHD took out 17 deer, mostly bucks, on the property I hunt. I managed to kill a small 6 pt on opening day of gun season. Was the only one killed that weekend. We collectively generally take 8 - 10 deer opening weekend. The second deer wasn’t taken until three days later. What a difference this disease makes.

Two dump truck loads of dead deer?!? That’s crazy! Congrats on finding one to put your tag on.
When I took my buck in for processing in Sundance, I ran into a guy there that is a guide for one of the outfitters in the area close to Devils Tower, and he told me they collected 42 dead trophy bucks off of their property From EHD. It’s sad that this disease is so devastating on deer.

Way to go. It really sucks when nature pulls a fast one on a guy's hunt, but it happens. That deer will be dandy eating!
It likely will, but we have another problem here, too. CWD. Between the two the deer herd here could be in real trouble. No, there is no empirical evidence that CWD can cross over to humans, but it sure raises concerns for some hunters. WGFD says bring'em in for testing. and if shown positive for CWD another tag can be issued. Mom says I can't bring anything home but speed goats.

Latest posts

Back