T/C Omega barrel replacement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was recently gifted a T/C Omega with a badly pitted bore. Looking to find a replacement barrel. Will an Omega Z7 barrel (I see some posted on eBay) fit an original Omega? What can I expect to pay for one that is in good shape?

I was recently gifted a T/C Omega with a badly pitted bore. Looking to find a replacement barrel. Will an Omega Z7 barrel (I see some posted on eBay) fit an original Omega? What can I expect to pay for one that is in good shape?
I think you mean a Z5 barrel? Yes a Z5 will work. Unless you have an X7. Probably you're going to pay $250-300. Although someone doing an SML conversion may sell you one a little cheaper.

Have you shot it , I've seen sewer pipe barrels shoot just fine , they are just harder to clean

Have you shot it , I've seen sewer pipe barrels shoot just fine , they are just harder to clean
Yes, I tried it with both sabot and RB loads. Sabots were scary-hard to force all the way down the barrel, even after a very thorough barrel scrub. I could barely keep shots on 2 X 2' paper at 50 yd. I've given up on it.

Yes, as stated if it’s a standard Omega then it will take an Omega or Z5 Omega barrel but not an X7 (“carbine”) barrel.

Wow - 2’x2’ at 50 yards?! It’s either really corroded and/or you’ve got something else going on with it like loose lugs/action screws or something.

I’ve got a couple take-offs with a little corrosion near the breech that I’d consider parting with. If you buy one off eBay you likely wont know what you’re really getting (bore condition) till you get it. I’ve seen them go on there in recent months for $50-$150.

Hello Fubar22/ John. I doug the Omega z5 barrel out as promised. I also told you i never shot it, I bought it from Gun broker for a build. Here is my report. Its 28” long, it has fiber optic sights, orange in back / green in front. It has a picatinny rail and comes with breech plug and ramrod. Overall i think the gun has not been shot very much as everything is in good condition. However i think the person was very lack in the cleaning department. The outside of barrel has a light coating of rust. The inside has some rust in spots also. I think that the lee shaver method would take care of it because the rifling looks sharp. If nothing else i think the ramrod, breech plug, rail, and iron sights would cost what i am asking. I would like to get $120.00 shipped, conus and PO money order. You have first option Fubar22.IMG_3583.jpegIMG_3572.jpegIMG_3572.jpegIMG_3575.jpegIMG_3575.jpegIMG_3577.jpegIMG_3577.jpegIMG_3573.jpegIMG_3571.jpeg

Yes, I tried it with both sabot and RB loads. Sabots were scary-hard to force all the way down the barrel, even after a very thorough barrel scrub. I could barely keep shots on 2 X 2' paper at 50 yd. I've given up on it.
What sabot are you using ? A 1/28 twist isn't the best for round ball

As I said , I've seen some sewer pipe barrels still shoot moa

Can you post pics of things

Last edited:
240 gr T/C XTP bullets, 100 gr Triple Seven (pellets).
I'll try it again with some Hornady 385 gr Great Plains bullets I just picked up, but expectations are low.

Hello Fubar22/ John. I doug the Omega z5 barrel out as promised. I also told you i never shot it, I bought it from Gun broker for a build. Here is my report. Its 28” long, it has fiber optic sights, orange in back / green in front. It has a picatinny rail and comes with breech plug and ramrod. Overall i think the gun has not been shot very much as everything is in good condition. However i think the person was very lack in the cleaning department. The outside of barrel has a light coating of rust. The inside has some rust in spots also. I think that the lee shaver method would take care of it because the rifling looks sharp. If nothing else i think the ramrod, breech plug, rail, and iron sights would cost what i am asking. I would like to get $120.00 shipped, conus and PO money order. You have first option Fubar22.View attachment 40204View attachment 40205View attachment 40205View attachment 40206View attachment 40206View attachment 40207View attachment 40207View attachment 40208View attachment 40209

That’s a good deal right there.

Don't waste your time with the Great plains if the qla is not concentric to the bore . I would be shocked if a sabot change improved it 2' worth , but I would try a crush rib sabot and make sure everything is snug on the gun . How's the breech plug looking ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back