That Was Easy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Made up a load today. I've mentioned in another thread that i'll just be hunting mule deer from now on. Buck or doe depending on which tag I can get. It's a meat hunt, so it doesn't matter to me. Mid Sept muzzy season. A perfect time to be in the mountains.

Some of you will cringe at my bullet choice. So, be it. I knew my powder load would be light, so I wanted a bullet that I knew would expand. I don't really need a pass through but it would be nice. That's the first time i've ever said that but recoil is more important now. If it expands and kills i'm ok with it. I can track. So, with that in mind i'm using the Powerbelt Aerolite 250 gr. My distance is under 100 yds. More like under 75 yds.

There's new literature that comes with the Powerbelt. For the Aerolite and loose powder but not BH they recommend 80-100gr for shots under 100yds for deer size game. That sounds like 80 gr of my Pyrodex Select for me. So, I load up 80gr and the ramrod loads it on the powder without screwing on a loading jag. I love simple. The recoil is just right. My cheek is happy.

I don't talk about game kills or targets shot. So, I won't be showing pictures. I will say it shoots groups that are way better than a deer rifle needs. More than good enough. The PR is a shooter.

That's it. An easy loading and shooting load that I have no reason to mess with anymore. Just practice offhand shooting. I have faith the bullet will do it's job with this soft load.

Back