The Hog Hunt Story & Pics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Okay, Bob has been on me to get the story up and to be quite honest, I have to be in a real writer mood to remember all the details. I always figured that pictures were best to show, along with a short story so its not huge and boring.

Originally I thought Falcon was joking with me when he told me I should load up my Jeep and come out for a hog hunt. Over a short period of time I asked him if he was serious and he said Yes.

Some time down the road I had been talking about my dad and brother and said I got invited on a hog hunt and both my dad and brothers, eyes popped out of their heads... Ask him if I can go!! Yeah, me too, I want to go! says my brother.

Floyd (Falcon) pretty much said, YES, plllllease bring them! I think he may have a hog problem? :lol:

We were supposed to get in January, but doctor appointments and then my dad taking off to Illinois for a week kind of put that on the back burner. When he came back, my step moms grand kids had gotten him sick and his cough lasted over a month and a half ( Finally eased up HUGE as I type). That once more put the hunt on hold because he could hardly talk without choking. If Floyd thought it was bad while we were at his home having dinner, he should have heard it a month before!

Talking with Floyd, he said the Mini van would be ok. Perfect! Take the 3rd row seat out and have tons of room. We packed up our two biggest coolers, waders, lawn chairs, tri pod for video camera (didn't use it) hunting boots, suite case with all of our spare clothes.

We made sure that rifles were all sighted in. My rifle was the most difficult as I only had 4 days to shoot and 2 of the days I was stuck in denver. I got my dads Winchester 3006 sighted in, he did perfect at 100 yards and then in the evening my brother sighted in his AK-47 with 124 soft points. He has a some type of russian scope on it that's like an aim point, but actually more expensive believe it or not. He can keep that AK in a 2" group at 100 yards and that "scope" has no magnification.

We decided March 6 through the 10 was perfect. Report showed no moon and light rain off and on through the days.

We left home around 6:30 pm, stopped for breakfast, gassed up and were on our way. Made a couple stops along the way for drinks and restroom breaks.

Let Floyd know when we were about 60 miles from Lawton. He called back and asked where we were and we decided it was best to get to the hotel and get checked in and changed. ( A little over a 7 hour drive)

Floyd swung by and I hitched a ride with him while my dad and brother followed us to the property that Floyd and his buddies lease.

Floyd gave us the tour and while doing so, we set traps and baited the areas.

On our last stop, we were all in his truck and I was just amazed at how pretty the area really was. You wouldn't expect someone to call Oklahoma pretty, but this part was! Nice tall trees, grass, water, rivers, you name it. What was not pretty were all the darn ticks I had on me over the 4 days of hunting LOL.
IMG_6784.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

Our last trap to set, we pull up and there's a small hill on my right, tall grass and trees, a long but narrow pond/stream set up and I saw a flash of white. It took me a moment and it kicks in.... Floyd, there's hogs down there! What?... There's hogs down there! Floyd look's in the direction but due to his position is was impossible to see the spot I was looking at.

These hogs had no idea we were there. How the hell you drive up on them and they do not run? I haven't a clue. Possibly the high wind we had helped us greatly, but it was just straight up stupid luck that they were there when we got there.

Floyd tells me to go get them!

I get out of the truck as quietly as possible, grab my flintlock, prime the pan, close it and slowly sneak around the hill, working closer down to the swamp and a half sideways Y shaped tree to lean against for support.

As I worked my way down to that tree, I spotted a small 20ish pound hog looking directly at me. I remembered Floyd telling me that they have poor eye sight so I took a chance and slowly made my way to the tree I wanted to use for support.

I make it to the tree and an seriously considering shooting that tiny hog because the others have their back to me.

I wait, wait some more and they are just rooting around in the swamp, tails flicking, moving left/right, never giving me the right shot placement.

After a short while, the black hog which was second largest, moves perfectly into position. Just flat out perfect. I waited a little longer and my big fat black/white/pinkish fat hog just beautifully turns broadside and I take bead and placed the front sight right into the crease of the shoulder, set the trigger and squeezed.

BOOOOM! Huge cloud hangs around in that humid Oklahoma air, the two other pigs take off like they were shot out of a cannon and I see the top of the hog I shot. Right where she stood when I shot, she dropped like a sack of flour on the spot!
IMG_6787.jpg

I watched and made sure she wasn't moving and after a bit, gave the fist pump and ran back to Floyd and the others at the truck so I could reload my Flintlock.

Once I was reloaded, we all quietly went down and that's when my heart sunk as we could not find her.
IMG_6791.jpg

Floyd went in one direction, my dad and brother both went down stream and as I was walking back to the Y tree, I hugged the swamp a little closer and FINALLY saw a flash of pink!

I snuck up and from behind I could see some shallow breathing in the ribs. I moved around and closer until I could get a good look at her head and took aim and made sure she was down with a  patched ball between her eyes from about 8 yards away.

I Celebrated and called everyone over, It's down! she dropped on the spot!

Shook hands with everyone and thanked Floyd about 10 times in less than a minute. Completely just in awe. Who the hell drives 7 hours across 4 states and kills a hog the same day? Stupid Luck.

She apparently had rolled onto her side while I was at the truck reloading and in the process, the grass popped up and hid her from view.

After we settled down and took in the moment and  the size of the hog, Floyd and I posed for some pictures and then my brother and I drug her back to the truck and hoisted her up into the bed. Man she's a ........ Pig!
1457310788355.jpg

Floyd estimates her weight at about 175-200lbs. She's for sure, bigger than our average deer down here. Just ask the Freezer.
IMG_6792.jpg

Over the next 3 days, we took one huge hog and two smaller 20-30lb hogs in traps.

More to come.

IMG_6847.jpg

Jon,

Glad you guys had a great time and made a new friend. Hows the bacon :?:

Ray.......... :ttups:

Jon, I like your story and am glad you got some pork. You were lucky with that first one. Hogs have a terrific sense of smell. The wind must have been blowing in a different direction for you to succeed like that.

However, guys who show up with several buddies when invited to a hunt ain't kosher.
I invited a guy to dove hunt. He showed up with his buddy, "the world's greatest hunter" and you didn't have to ask if he could shoot. He told everyone real quick. The "world's greatest hunter" wound up with 3 birds with his 12 gauge while another guy got 11 with his .410.
The guy I invited was not invited again. Hopefully, that's not the way it was with falcon.

The wind must have been blowing in a different direction for you to succeed like that.
The wind was blowing toward the hogs at about 30 mph;  gusting to about 40 mph.  While Jon was getting the hog in his sights the wind blew my drivers side door shut with a huge crash.  It apparently never bothered the hog. 

i'm glad Jon brought his Father and Brother along.  All are welcome back.

:lol:  Today, I shall sit down with a nice hot cup of coffee and finish it.

Maybe.

Switching over to my dad and brothers stand, they were situated in another feeder/blind set up boarding a austrian pea field, winter wheat? and on the real first day on the hunt ( day after I shot mine) they had 2 hogs running in the tall grass, with 5 piglets between them.

They decided not to shoot because they felt the hogs in the group were to small. When I upload the video of this, I'll let you be the judge, because I have have beat them both after I saw the video LOL.
P1020615.jpg

My dad and brother got lucky and had nice office chairs in their stand LOL.
P1020601.jpg

P1020603.jpg

Way out in the background theres a big pond area where Floyd would set up in his other metal covered tower stand. I went up there one day and it was a real nice set up with that huge field and pond and looking out the shooting window, a feeder and thick brush/trees for the hogs to show up from no where. Just got to be careful in the chair otherwise if you relax a little to much, you may roll out the back door!
P1020620.jpg

As the days went by, they saw turkey up the rear end, coming within 10 yards of the blind, wild birds like cardinals were ALL over the place. I've never seen so much red while out hunting. I have videos of the turkeys as well. I think they said there was 24 or 25 of them in the group with a nice gobbler with a long beard on him.

Just to add some more pictures from my hunt.

At the hotel getting settled in and changed into hunting clothes.
P1020574.jpg

See what I mean about the area being beautiful? I would have loved to have sat and watched this area but I decided the ticks would eat me alive LOL.
IMG_6824.jpg

View from my Tripod stand.  I was able to over look two feeders and had a view ALL the way around me. The stand was pretty comfortable as well. I fell asleep multiple times before I decided it was best to walk around for a bit than to fall asleep 8 feet up in the air.
IMG_6813.jpg

IMG_6816.jpg

After the first evening when we arrived, we went to check the lease out and of course, we all know the story of my hog.

After the shot, Reloading back at Floyds truck and then the search began.
P1020581.jpg

Floyd getting locked and loaded.
P1020582.jpg

P1020583.jpg

P1020584.jpg

P1020585.jpg

I still get that goofy ear to ear grin just thinking about this adventure LOL. Im doing it right now actually. Just one hell of a great time.
P1020586.jpg

Floyd and I with my first hog.
P1020587.jpg

Skinnin time!
P1020593.jpg

P1020598.jpg

That's about it boys. I have a few videos to edit and upload late tonight, so that will be the last of the hunt story and pictures.

I can only hope to add more stories!

I put one pair of strong specs over another and I have yet to find a picture..........
John

My puter must be sloooow, they just popped up.

Looks like a good time was had by all, congrats Falcon for making it happen.

falcon is smart. When you invite someone you don't know anything about, you wear solid red and hope they're not color-blind. :lol!:

____________________________________________________________________________________

"they had 2 hogs running in the tall grass, with 5 piglets between them.

They decided not to shoot because they felt the hogs in the group were to small."

There's no numbers limit and no size limit so they should shoot all the pesty things they can.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"I would have loved to have sat and watched this area but I decided the ticks would eat me alive LOL."

Heh, heh, now you know about hunting in the South. I set up a turkey blind yesterday and had to pick 8 ticks off me afterwards.

Jon, thanks for the story and pics. It was very interesting.

patocazador said:
falcon is smart. When you invite someone you don't know anything about, you wear solid red and hope they're not color-blind. :lol!:

hahahahhahaha!! The day we arrived my dad had a red long sleeve on and I told him, we're hunting! You can't wear bright red!

Floyd pulls up and my dad goes.. Hey, Floyd gets to wear red! Why can't i? :lol!:

Jonathan,

Great story and awesome pics. Nice going buddy. :ttups: :ttups: :ttups:

Ray..........

FrontierGander said:
patocazador said:

hahahahhahaha!! The day we arrived my dad had a red long sleeve on and I told him, we're hunting! You can't wear bright red!

Floyd pulls up and my dad goes.. Hey, Floyd gets to wear red! Why can't i? :lol!:
Love this. This is MY family...

Latest posts

Back