The Myth of the 30mm tube scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

For some reason, the 30mm scopes are "thought" to be brighter, have better light transmission, etc. Not true-- there is no optical basis for that.

What they do offer is:

Generally more internal adjustment area.

Generally stronger tubes.

That's all there is.

For some reason, the 30mm scopes are "thought" to be brighter, have better light transmission, etc. Not true-- there is no optical basis for that.

Well at the time they were introduced to the American market it WAS true! It just had nothing to do with the tube size(it rarely does :wink: ) but EVERYTHING to do with the optical quality! The first 30mm scope I ever bought was a Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10X56. Talk about a SCOPE! That was the first scope I ever owned to be significantly better than a Leupold Vari-X III.

but EVERYTHING to do with the optical quality!

Everything? :shock:

Resolution is determined by objective size. Tube diameter has nothing to do with image quality. Why would it? :?: Light works the same way it always has.

Randy,

You forgot about the upcharge for the 30MM.. Most are usually alot more $$$

Chuck,

If you could only have one... what is your favorite scope? Is it 30MM?

RandyWakeman said:
but EVERYTHING to do with the optical quality!

Everything? :shock:

Resolution is determined by objective size. Tube diameter has nothing to do with image quality. Why would it? :?: Light works the same way it always has.

In the higher qualilty lens, I doubt there is any difference. However, in some lens, the edges aren't as opticaly "true" as the centers. The larger tubes might allow for a larger lens with a larger "sweet spot"?

Take care, have fun....
Roger D. in Southern Indiana

Tube diameter has nothing to do with image quality.

Ahhhmmmm.... I didn't say it DID. :?

Chuck,

If you could only have one... what is your favorite scope? Is it 30MM?

I really don't know, JJ. I like scopes for different reasons. Although optically superior to most scopes, the Swarovski Pro Hunters I have generally are lacking in the amount of w/e adjustment. The 3-12X50 only has 39.6 inches. That's only 19.8 inches UP and 19.8 inches DOWN. That may be fine on my 300 Weatherby but generally not enough for a typical muzzleloader. I also wouldn't want Triple Se7en all over the lens as Grouse mentioned!

I guess it comes down to the scopes I use the most. That would be those scopes on my favorite rifles. I don't have a SINGLE favorite. On muzzleloaders those scopes would be a Leupold 2.5-8 Vari-X III, Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40, and a Docter Optik 1.5-6X42. I AM looking foward to trying out the Leupold 3-9 Ultralite and 2.5-8 VX-III though!

30mm tubes open up another can of worms that being more expensive rings. :(

Latest posts

Back