Thinking about a smokeless rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, been a while since I posted but I have an itch to put together a SML and have a few questions. The most important question is what action to use, the options I have available are a Remington 700ML, Savage M10, Remington 40X BR single shot and lastly a T/C Encore ? I would much prefer to use the 700ML if possible, the others in order of listing. My goal is a gun capable of taking whitetails and hogs out to 300 yards. A lot of my hunting anymore is from blinds so weight is not a huge factor but I would like to stay under 10 pounds ready to hunt if possible.

Thanks in advance !

The Remington 700 ML Actions are out of vogue. You would be better off building on the other 3 Actions as there are more builders and pre-fit barrels to choose from.

I have two Remington MLS both of them had the Badger Ridge upgrade they're great rifles with that upgrade but still if I had to choose between the two of them already having put together multiple smokeless guns I would absolutely use that single shot Remington over that Remington ml not that the ml won't work

I had my Remington 700 Ultimate rebuilt into a smokeless .45 and I have no regrets at all. It uses the Arrowhead ignition system with a 28" Brux barrel (1:20 twist if I remember correctly). I shot five deer with it last season, with ranges from 10yrds-200yrds. It is more than capable of taking a deer at 500yrds, but 300yrds is about the greatest distance I have available to me. Many options out there, depending on how deep your pockets are. My conversion cost around $1800.

I had my Remington 700 Ultimate rebuilt into a smokeless .45 and I have no regrets at all. It uses the Arrowhead ignition system with a 28" Brux barrel (1:20 twist if I remember correctly). I shot five deer with it last season, with ranges from 10yrds-200yrds. It is more than capable of taking a deer at 500yrds, but 300yrds is about the greatest distance I have available to me. Many options out there, depending on how deep your pockets are. My conversion cost around $1800.

I plan to do most of the work myself to keep the cost down as much as possible, I have access to all the necessary equipment. I should note that my 700 is the original 700ML as opposed to the Ultimate.

Hey all, been a while since I posted but I have an itch to put together a SML and have a few questions. The most important question is what action to use, the options I have available are a Remington 700ML, Savage M10, Remington 40X BR single shot and lastly a T/C Encore ? I would much prefer to use the 700ML if possible, the others in order of listing. My goal is a gun capable of taking whitetails and hogs out to 300 yards. A lot of my hunting anymore is from blinds so weight is not a huge factor but I would like to stay under 10 pounds ready to hunt if possible.

Thanks in advance !
The 40X is an absolute no brainer here.

Do you plan to shot a few sighting in shots per year then hunt, or do you also want a range rifle for target practice?

If only some sighters and some load work, then the 700ML is still a good option. As long as you know that the bolt retention screw is the weak link, it will wear and cause headspacing issues. I only have experience with the 209 primer smokeless 700ML's so I don't know how the wear is if using the LRMP breech plug. I use a rubber o-ring in my 209 breech plugs so retention screw wear doesn't concern me a whole lot right now.

If you want a full time range/hunting rifle then I would go with the 40X action or the Encore platform.

Having the know how and equipment available to do most of your own work, IMO, opens up avenues not available to most others.

Latest posts

Back