One Bullet to Rule Them All?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have decided to have a custom .45 smokeless built (haven't decided on the builder yet, but pretty sure I have it narrowed down). I will be going sabotless with this rifle in order to maintain legality in IL with a .44 diameter/greater projectile. I have never shot bullet to bore before, but know that taking the sabot out of the equation will help somewhat with accuracy. I have one goal in mind for this rifle and that is taking some fine whitetails. With a new box blind that we built on one of our properties I now have the possibility of 300yrd plus shots. That being said, I could shoot one at 30 yards out of the same stand. So my question is "what bullet to use"? I am guessing I would be looking at Parker or Pittman bullets with those awesome BC's at those longer ranges, but do they perform just as well at closer ranges with a smokeless load shooting around 2500+ fps? I am sure whoever I finally decide on to build the rifle will have plenty of info for me, but I am interested to hear what you are all using. Again, keep in mind that this rifle isn't meant for target shooting, but some hard-core hunting, and trekking through some potentially rough terrain with a great variation in shot distances.

I've said this many times if I only had to choose one bullet smokeless it would be the fury 250 star tip probably just the one with the open type tip or the black tip star tip,, it is also the first bullet that I shoot in any one in 28 twist with black horn, if I had a second choice it would probably be the same bullet in a 275 grain. Let's head to the desert island I got my peanut butter I just need a sack full of those fury's

Where I hunt it’s very similar where shots could be 30 yards on out. For the guys recommending Fury’s what weight would you go with? 250? 275? 300? Star tip or star tip 2?

Where I hunt it’s very similar where shots could be 30 yards on out. For the guys recommending Fury’s what weight would you go with? 250? 275? 300? Star tip or star tip 2?
For what I do, the 300gr is what I prefer and they pack a wallop. ST2P but the regular ST hammers them.

I was lucky with my smokeless rifle. I got the Barnes TEZ copper bullets to shoot accurate out of mine. Both the 250 and 290 grainers shoot well.
They are reasonably priced when you compare them to custom bullets. They have performed great on deer long range and short range. Especially with the smokeless velocities. I have not recovered a bullet yet.
I size them just small enough to slip down my barrel. I then knurl them/ fatten them back up between 2 files.

I agree with encore50a, at 2500+ fps, I would stay away from lead. Outside of that I don’t have a clue about smokeless muzzleloader bullets.

I was lucky with my smokeless rifle. I got the Barnes TEZ copper bullets to shoot accurate out of mine. Both the 250 and 290 grainers shoot well.
They are reasonably priced when you compare them to custom bullets. They have performed great on deer long range and short range. Especially with the smokeless velocities. I have not recovered a bullet yet.
I size them just small enough to slip down my barrel. I then knurl them/ fatten them back up between 2 files.
When you break down the cost per bullet, the custom bullets aren't really running that much more than production bullets (Pittman's are the exception), but Parkers are "reasonably" priced I think. And lets face it, when we are spending a hefty sum on these smokeless rifles we want the most accurate bullet with the best terminal performance we can get. Buying crappy bullets would be like purchasing a 100K sports car and then feeding it low grade gasoline. This isn't to say that Barnes are "crappy", I love Barnes bullets. Barnes 300gr Original Spitzers are, at the moment are still my favorite bullets. That may change after I do some more shooting with the 300gr Furys- they outperformed the Barnes on my last test with my Savage. Was wanting to go out today to do some more shooting, but still very cold here in N IL and snowing at the moment.

I agree ,, shoot the best bullet that you can afford,, with every smokeless muzzleloader I've put together and a couple that I have had built, I find the economical frugal part of myself always hoping to find that these rifles will shoot a really cheap pistol bullet or something similar into a hole, again for me accuracy is always the bottom line if I can find a cheap bullet that shoots accurately it will fill my shelves real quick,, if any of my highfalutin muzzle loading friends come by I'll put them in a different package so they don't punk me make fun of me,,not!! If they go in a hole those guys will be wanting some of them too. The fury 250 star tip and the black tip shoot well in a 28 twist rifle with black horn and they shoot well out of a 20 twist smokeless,,, I find them to be very versatile that's why it's my desert island bullet,,, understand the 275 to 350 grains got a better BC and more downrange energy ,, but if I try to shoot them and one of my 28 twist break open rifles doesn't work for me the 250 star tip works in all the guns.

When you break down the cost per bullet, the custom bullets aren't really running that much more than production bullets (Pittman's are the exception), but Parkers are "reasonably" priced I think. And lets face it, when we are spending a hefty sum on these smokeless rifles we want the most accurate bullet with the best terminal performance we can get. Buying crappy bullets would be like purchasing a 100K sports car and then feeding it low grade gasoline. This isn't to say that Barnes are "crappy", I love Barnes bullets. Barnes 300gr Original Spitzers are, at the moment are still my favorite bullets. That may change after I do some more shooting with the 300gr Furys- they outperformed the Barnes on my last test with my Savage. Was wanting to go out today to do some more shooting, but still very cold here in N IL and snowing at the moment.
I started out shooting Pittman Bullets with my smokeless. They shot great and Kyle has great customer service. I have no problem spending extra money for quality bullets. I do it all the time.
However, after tinkering with loads and other bullets at the range. I realized how well I was able to get the Barnes to shoot out to 300 yds.(I was actually shocked at how well I got them to shoot) The only reason I mentioned price is because it just worked out that way. It was a win,win situation for me.
With smokeless muzzleloader velocities I would pick a solid copper over any other bullet if accuracy was equal. Especially knowing how they perform on deer even when bone is encountered. I have not recovered a bullet yet. All deer have had exit holes and dropped on the spot or within 20 yds of the shot. Not much meat damage either.
With that said. None of it amounts to a hill of beans if you can't get them to shoot good out of your gun.

I started out shooting Pittman Bullets with my smokeless. They shot great and Kyle has great customer service. I have no problem spending extra money for quality bullets. I do it all the time.
However, after tinkering with loads and other bullets at the range. I realized how well I was able to get the Barnes to shoot out to 300 yds.(I was actually shocked at how well I got them to shoot) The only reason I mentioned price is because it just worked out that way. It was a win,win situation for me.
With smokeless muzzleloader velocities I would pick a solid copper over any other bullet if accuracy was equal. Especially knowing how they perform on deer even when bone is encountered. I have not recovered a bullet yet. All deer have had exit holes and dropped on the spot or within 20 yds of the shot. Not much meat damage either.
With that said. None of it amounts to a hill of beans if you can't get them to shoot good out of your gun.
Do you anneal the Barnes?

Latest posts

Back