Tradition powder Measure?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asahi1234

Reaction score
I do have a newbie question. I have purchased 1 pound of Pyrodex RS FFG Equivalent Muzzloading Propellant. I have purchased Traditions Composite Poweder Measure p/n A1381. I tried contacting Tradition but got no response from them. My question in is this the correct powder measuring device I can use? Until I can get something better. I have some charge tubes. I could not find any pellets in my area. Sorry for the long post. Thank you for your help.

Thanks for your responses. I was 99.9 percent I was good to go. I just wasn't 100 percent sure I was correct. I did have a CVA about 10 years ago. But I was using pellets. But I had never used loose poweder before. This time I could only find loose poweder. T/C Hunter FX Muzzleloader. Thanks all for your help.

I think I have every powder measure in this thread, save the test-tube style shown by the OP. 😛

That’s the mixed blessing/curse of black powder shooting- it seems like there are endless “rabbit holes” to go down! :cool:

Everyone tends to develop their favorites. For range use, I like:
-an adjustable powder measure
-an attached funnel
-something to “strike off” the measure (i.e., the attached funnel)
-a clear body (reveals partial charges from “powder bridging”)

The T/C U-View is my personal favorite, for the range.

It has:
-all of the above features
-precise markings
-precise adjustment
-a “solid” or “quality” feel to it (especially for “cheap plastic!”) 😊

It’s basically the same as the favorite of ElDiablo and fishdfly, above. The primary difference is that it’s clear.

00D9D7AF-AB80-4C93-A7E0-E7DB72B5799B.jpeg
0BF9AF1F-D38C-4E29-A7C6-CEE2105B58A2.jpeg

With a measure like the OP’s, I am tempted to “tap” it with a finger, or to “shake” it, to level out the powder and read the measure. That just introduces another variable. Not necessarily a deal breaker, just be aware and try to do it the same way every time, as much as practical.

For use in the hunting fields, I like a fixed measure or (batter yet) capped tubes containing pre-measured powder charges. Quick, easy, precise! :lewis:

Last edited:
I'm with ElDiablo. I like one that locks in place at the powder charge that shoots best in my gun. With the price of powder (and being a cheapskate) I like the funnel cutting off the powder and back into the bottle. The built in funnel means you don't slop powder off the sides of the barrel and mess up your measurement.

Back