Traditions Panther -- Recommended Loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHunter

Reaction score
My stepson was given a Traditions Panther in .50 by his father. He'll be deer hunting with it this fall, and the 1/48" twist has me befuddled as to loads, as I'm normally a fast-twist inline guy.

Anyone had a modicum of success with this rifle? I'm assuming that 150gr of T7 would be too hot, so I'll likely start him with two pellets of T7 (100 gr).

HokieHunter

The Tradition's Panther is a sidelock. For that reason, forget the pellets. The rifle may have a snail shaped fire channel and you will have a hard time getting pellets to ignite in that rifle. Also because of the 1-48 twist you're going to be limited to what it might shoot. Pellets are not recommend in a sidelock unless the rifle is specifically made for them. The only Traditions sidelock I know of made for pellet is the PA Pellet rifle.

I would get some loose Pyrodex RS. I would then load 70 grains of powder in it. Then put a .490 diameter patch roundball down the barrel. If you would rather not shoot roundball, then shoot some 370 grain maxiball. You could load them with 70 grains as well and get some good accuracy. Work your loads up from there.

Now this might sound strange, but some 1-48 twist rifles will shoot sabots. They usually shoot small ones. I would try some T/C Cheap Shots in 240 grain if you want to go the sabot route. Also sometimes the 1-48 will shoot powerbelts as well. Again, keep the charge around 80 grains and no more.

These rifles are not made to shoot 150 grains of anything. I think the max limit on them is 100 grains for the .50 caliber and 120 grains of the .54 caliber. Your best accuracy will come around 85 grains. They normally do shoot roundball very well, and that is a good whitetail killing load when placed in the right spot.

Back