Triple 7 and the famous crud ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WV Hunter said:
sabotloader said:
tpcollins said:
I thought I'd posted this already but sometimes I hit the back button instead of submit.

Is the crud ring associated with just the 209 primer or does it exist with the #11 percussion cap as well? Thanks.

The extent of the 'crud ring' depends a lot in what you might use for bore maintenance.... It would be my advice to not to use any products with Teflon or real petroleum oil i the bore.

That last shoot I did in the Rock Pit with a #11 ignition (RWS 1075+ caps) the hottest #11's - I took 18 shots and never ran a patch. When I am shooting Rondies I use T7 and do not patch there either.

With a 209 I still get a smallish 'crud ring. and normally have to patch after 4-5 shots...

Wow, 18 shots? That is amazing and interesting. I'm having trouble wrapping my simple mind around that. Even with pyrodex and loose(r) fitting rounds and #11's - I can't go but a few shots without swabbing or it becomes a bear to load. A couple buddies of mine shoot T7 and man the crud ring is heavy after even a shot or two. One buddy shot 3 times while hunting a couple years ago and the crud ring was so heavy he got his ramrod stuck cleaning it.
I gotta second this. I can't go more than a couple shots in my Whites with 777 without having to run a light patch. If I don't, the ring gets so bad it gets harder to seat the bullet and harder to clean. I swab after every shot. It's a pain, but less of a pain than getting a cleaning rod stuck at the range. FWIW, my groups are also much tighter and more consistent on a swabbed bore after the initial fouling.

Lee 9 said:
I have my own way of avoiding crud ring. I bought a whole case of Blackhorn for 19 dollars a can at the local Walmart hunting close out sale also 5 dollars a package for Shock Waves and 7 for the bonded.
Mike you are not so old I am over 80 and still trying. I put up my own tree stands and while I did not score with a muzzle loader this year I did get a 197 # Buck with a 20 inch spread and 4 doe with a bow. Had to use the ATV to get the buck out luck had it that he fell right next to my ATV trail.

Lee - holy cow you call that good planning on your part!

Dave C said:
WV Hunter said:
sabotloader said:
The extent of the 'crud ring' depends a lot in what you might use for bore maintenance.... It would be my advice to not to use any products with Teflon or real petroleum oil i the bore.

That last shoot I did in the Rock Pit with a #11 ignition (RWS 1075+ caps) the hottest #11's - I took 18 shots and never ran a patch. When I am shooting Rondies I use T7 and do not patch there either.

With a 209 I still get a smallish 'crud ring. and normally have to patch after 4-5 shots...

Wow, 18 shots? That is amazing and interesting. I'm having trouble wrapping my simple mind around that. Even with pyrodex and loose(r) fitting rounds and #11's - I can't go but a few shots without swabbing or it becomes a bear to load. A couple buddies of mine shoot T7 and man the crud ring is heavy after even a shot or two. One buddy shot 3 times while hunting a couple years ago and the crud ring was so heavy he got his ramrod stuck cleaning it.
I gotta second this. I can't go more than a couple shots in my Whites with 777 without having to run a light patch. If I don't, the ring gets so bad it gets harder to seat the bullet and harder to clean. I swab after every shot. It's a pain, but less of a pain than getting a cleaning rod stuck at the range. FWIW, my groups are also much tighter and more consistent on a swabbed bore after the initial fouling.

I would totally agree with your thought. I always hunt with what I call a 'semi fouled' bore. It has been my experience that the shots are far more predictable shooting from a bore that is not 'spic and span' clean.

Lee 9 said:
I have my own way of avoiding crud ring. I bought a whole case of Blackhorn for 19 dollars a can at the local Walmart hunting close out sale also 5 dollars a package for Shock Waves and 7 for the bonded.
Mike you are not so old I am over 80 and still trying. I put up my own tree stands and while I did not score with a muzzle loader this year I did get a 197 # Buck with a 20 inch spread and 4 doe with a bow. Had to use the ATV to get the buck out luck had it that he fell right next to my ATV trail.

That is awsome I hope I can do the same thing when I'm your age . Your my hero !

toytruck said:
Mike, We need to go shoot sometime. I can shoot all day without swabbing with any of my White rifles using Triple Seven. I sold my Encore after I discovered the White way. Seriously wish you were closer!
We should. It ain't really that far, I'm sure we could work it out at some point :yeah:

WV Hunter said:
toytruck said:
Mike, We need to go shoot sometime. I can shoot all day without swabbing with any of my White rifles using Triple Seven. I sold my Encore after I discovered the White way. Seriously wish you were closer!
We should. It ain't really that far, I'm sure we could work it out at some point :yeah:
8) Maybe one day when the warden is out of town... :yeah: :lol:

Triple 7 performed very well for me this year both at the range and in the field. I took a very nice heavy rack 9 point at 90 yds. Only thing is, I had to use a socket wrench to get my breech plug out when I got home. Blackhorn 209 for me from now on.

Latest posts

Back