Trouble with SSK bare primer setup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chundoo

Reaction score
I bought a SSK bare primer breech plug and adapter for the Knight Elite I just acquired. When I out the plug in and adapter on the bolt I can't close the bolt...close not quite. I'm hoping someone can advise me what may be wrong and what to do about it.

I think GM54-120 posted about that. Need to have the adapter open up a tiny little bit to go around the Elite plug hex area. Like .060 iirc. Or take .060 off the face of the adapter?

The plug side of the adapter might be hitting the nut on the breech plug. Only happened to me on a Mountaineer with a older FPJ bolt body.

I suppose that would need to be removed by a machinist rather than hand tools. Would a Dremel tool, belt grinder, or files be suitable? And is it better to remove metal from the "nut" or from the adapter?

Last edited:
I took material off of the the hex head. 0.028" IIRC. I had to do this on both of my Elites.

Removing material from the plug side of the adapter wont hurt a thing. Could do it a number of ways without hurting it. Mine would close without the adapter and almost close with it in. Both had the plug screwed in good. All my older Knights and 54-120 were just a simple parts swap.

I had one that I took material off the plug side of the adapter till the bolt closed.I put emery paper on my bench and just worked the adapter back and forth till I achieved the proper fit, not that difficult

I bought my original Elite 2-3 years ago and bought this adapter. Not a problem in the world. Didnt even know there could be a problem. Sounds like WV and I got lucky.
Based on what I've seen posted over the years, I'd say if it doesn't work perfectly for someone, they got unlucky. Haven't seen many posts about incorrect fit at all, and honestly only begun to seem them recently (it seems to me). Good thing is, it appears to be a relatively easy fix.

Appreciate all the replies and helpful advice. I'll see what I can do with it today.

Its pretty easy to do and you pretty much cant mess it up. Look at the pic and you can see on mine where the adapter hits the plug nut. The nose for the 209 still clears though by a tiny amount. The metal that needs to be removed wont hurt it strength wise at all. Lehigh needs to make them thinner IMO.
yRHIU5G.jpg

Another thing....all this is easier with just the bolt body. Remove the internals while making adjustments and checking primer crush. If the bolt handle free falls into battery its not getting any. If you have to push the handle down about 10-15 degrees you are getting some crush on the primer.

I sent an email to SSK yesterday and received this picture in their reply today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221-125531_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-125531_Office.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2
Does the bolt body and the plug ONLY go all the way into battery?......Try it without the bolt internals. Makes it easier to feel everything.

If the bolt goes into battery without the adapter then the nose to action length could be meaningless unless the barrel was threaded too much/little for the plug.

Next

If the bolt goes into battery without the adapter and just the plug....Try a Win209 or Fed209A (no adapter) in the plug and see if the bare bolt body drops all the way into battery or if it stops a little before..............Either one will tell you if the plug with primer OAL is too long........If the bolt wont come close to closing something is way too long.

If thats all good it has to be the adapter is hitting the plug. Tested mine with a plug that was cut .060 off on the powder side. Worked fine but then my primers needed 15thousands worth of shims.

I finally had time to check it out. Here's what I did and found.

I took the internals out of the bolt, installed the new breech plug, and tried the bolt without the adapter. It closed fully from its own weight, no problem. I then tried the same with a Fed209A primer. I was able to close it but it was VERY hard the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the travel. The primers seem too tight in the plug, they have to be pried out and some wouldn't go in half way. Makes me wonder about the primer pocket dimensions. The last thing I did was try to close the bolt with the adapter installed and it would not close,Ike the adapter is too long.

Thoughts?

My issue was the face of the breech plug was a tad too long. Not the primer stack but the end that is toward the muzzle. I took .005" off at a time until my bolt dropped almost all the way by itself then just a bit of pressure to close completely.
After doing that then shimming the primer stack for proper primer crush I have zero blow back.
One thing I would check first is that there is nothing causing the bp from fully seating like maybe a burr from the factory.

Back