Trouble with SSK bare primer setup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s what GM54-120 said
I finally had time to check it out. Here's what I did and found.

I took the internals out of the bolt, installed the new breech plug, and tried the bolt without the adapter. It closed fully from its own weight, no problem. I then tried the same with a Fed209A primer. I was able to close it but it was VERY hard the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the travel. The primers seem too tight in the plug, they have to be pried out and some wouldn't go in half way. Makes me wonder about the primer pocket dimensions. The last thing I did was try to close the bolt with the adapter installed and it would not close,Ike the adapter is too long.

Thoughts?

I thought about burrs and although the threads aren't beautiful there's nothing that would prevent it going all the way in. The face of the BP does have a few tiny dings on the outside edge, not thinking it would stop it though.

I measured the primer. .301-2" to start with and a surprising .287-8" afterward. Sounds like something is causing to much crush!

If I take anything off the face of the breech plug using hand tools would it still seat and seal ok? And how much needs to go, ..010".

.003, .004 primer crush is perfect! If you take any metal off the face of the breech plug then you will have to shim the primer pocket. Much easier to remove metal from the front of the primer adapter, as was previously mentioned.

But I'm getting about .015" crush aren't I? Am I figuring that right?

Your right , my old brain must’ve went on break. The only way to reduce primer crush is to cut the front of the breech plug. Or switch to a shorter primer. Or grind the bolt handle.

The Adapter needs to not contact the Breechplug. Once that has been addressed, then you can access Primer Crush.

I prefer 0.002"-0.004" of Primer crush. Others target 0.003"-0.005".

.003, .004 primer crush is perfect! If you take any metal off the face of the breech plug then you will have to shim the primer pocket. Much easier to remove metal from the front of the primer adapter, as was previously mentioned.
That's not always the case. When I got my adapter I removed .020 off the primer stack and bolt would still not close. I ended up taking .040 off the face, .005 at a time before the bolt closed properly. When I shimmed the primer pocket it required .015 in shims but I have zero blowback.
One thing Badger Ridge mentions with his Rem 700ML conversion is sometimes depending on the primer being used you need to chamfer the primer stack opening a bit for better feeding.

Take a Black Sharpie or something similar and color the front face of the breechplug. Now, install the breechplug in the gun and tighten as you normally would. Remove the breechplug from the gun. Now look at the front face. You should see where the Sharpie has been removed if the breechplug did indeed contacted the "sealing" shoulder. If it is not contacting, you will need to chase the threads. DISC Elites have been pretty consistent from gun to gun unlike the earlier DISC models such as the Original. Once you know the breechplug bottoms properly and address the Adapter contact issue you should be okay from my experience.

To modify the Adapter, find a flat surface using a piece of emery paper sanding in a figure 8 motion. 100 to 120 grit emery paper should work fine for this. You can go with finer grits if you want a better surface finish.

I finally had time to check it out. Here's what I did and found.

I took the internals out of the bolt, installed the new breech plug, and tried the bolt without the adapter. It closed fully from its own weight, no problem. I then tried the same with a Fed209A primer. I was able to close it but it was VERY hard the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the travel. The primers seem too tight in the plug, they have to be pried out and some wouldn't go in half way. Makes me wonder about the primer pocket dimensions. The last thing I did was try to close the bolt with the adapter installed and it would not close,Ike the adapter is too long.

Thoughts?
Same as i posted above. The adapter is too thick. I just tested my Ulite barrel kit and its just barely too thick also.

My UL barrel was so perfect. The adapter fit perfectly and i didnt have to shim the primer pocket at all. With win 209s i get .003 crush and zero blow by.
Mine is just slightly too tight. Its less than .060 this time. The bolt handle almost goes all the way down. Still need to check primer fit. Ive got the bare primer bodies but really want to use the adpapter on this one. I find it easier to load without a tool.

I used a OEM Knight bare primer plug and i still need to check it with a Lehigh.

Mine is just slightly too tight. Its less than .060 this time. The bolt handle almost goes all the way down. Still need to check primer fit. Ive got the bare primer bodies but really want to use the adpapter on this one. I find it easier to load without a tool.

I used a OEM Knight bare primer plug and i still need to check it with a Lehigh.
Im using the Sportsmans Warehouse Mountaineer bolt body and a new Lehigh bare primer plug. I haven’t used the plug that came with the bolt body.

Due my unexpected hospitalization I hadn't been working on this since just before Christmas. Now I'm back home and started on it again. Per one suggestion I used a black sharpie and covered the front sealing portion of the BP and after running it into the barrel there was no indication it contacted the sealing surface in the barrel. If the BP isn't going all the way in it would certainly cause the issues I was having. Since this is a recently purchased gun I wondered about the condition in the barrel so I used a nylon brush, several patches, and some Kroil and cleaned the threaded part of the barrel throughly. The patches were quite dirty afterward so I tried the BP again. It went in all the way and the bolt with adapter closed fine. I then tried a Fed209A primer to check for crush. There isn't any at all! I guess my next step is to shim the BP but don't have any of the shims. Anyone have any to spare?

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions!

Due my unexpected hospitalization I hadn't been working on this since just before Christmas. Now I'm back home and started on it again. Per one suggestion I used a black sharpie and covered the front sealing portion of the BP and after running it into the barrel there was no indication it contacted the sealing surface in the barrel. If the BP isn't going all the way in it would certainly cause the issues I was having. Since this is a recently purchased gun I wondered about the condition in the barrel so I used a nylon brush, several patches, and some Kroil and cleaned the threaded part of the barrel throughly. The patches were quite dirty afterward so I tried the BP again. It went in all the way and the bolt with adapter closed fine. I then tried a Fed209A primer to check for crush. There isn't any at all! I guess my next step is to shim the BP but don't have any of the shims. Anyone have any to spare?

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions!
Ive got some for you. Pm me with your address and ill get some in the mail.

On both of my Knight muzzleloaders the threads inside the barrel where you screw in the bp has always been cleaned before I re-install the bp.As of yet I have had no problem with the bolt not closing.Also I wrap plumpers tape around the threads of the bp so nothing gets inside of them.

Back