Twist rate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
All,

I have a Traditions Frontier Scout that I purchased a few years ago from Natchez and never really fooled with as I bought a Cableas Sporterized carbine .  However as Delaware deer hunting is winding down until December and I've had the best year I've ever had I decided I wanted to go primitive for December and January so I broke this out to go with the Cabela's the barrel is marked 1 in 66 however in the past and today with my daughters help I tried measuring the twist again and I got 1 in 24 for half turn.  I put a wet patch down the bore marked a spot with whiteout at the top at the barrel and had my daughter watch the dot as I drew it out when it was on the bottom we measured 1 in 23 so I took it out until she told me it looked like it was past the 6 and remeasured and it was 1 in 24 which should translate into 1 in 48, I just did it again and got the same.  Am I correct in how I'm doing the measurements and is anybody familiar with this firearm?  I know at some point they did switch the twist to 1 in 48 .

If its marked 1"66 twist, it most likely will be. I normally only do a 1/4 turn measurement. If thats in fact a 1:66 twist, you'll have an awesome patched round ball shooter.

I'm with Pete on this one , can be they screwed up the markings as it is easy to make a mistake .

But not to worry , I've got a 1:48 Investarms Hawken and it shoots PRB very well and conicals better than average .

Latest posts

Back