Utah Muzzy Reg Change

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you even read my post that you quoted????? :wall:
So you “don’t hunt Utah.” I can assume that the answer is also no to all of the other questions I asked.

you state, "I only use for load development".

I’m flattered that you’re going through all my posts here and elsewhere. Where/when did I say the I “only use scopes for load development?”

So you “don’t hunt Utah.” I can assume that the answer is also no to all of the other questions I asked.

I’m flattered that you’re going through all my posts here and elsewhere. Where/when did I say the I “only use scopes for load development?”
Well you finally went back and actually read the post you quoted. Good job!
My intent is to make Lapoint, if that's a concern for you, and why it would be I have no clue.
Please.... don't flatter yourself. I know its hard not to do, but please don't.

1701973689673.png

Last edited:
Well you finally went back and actually read the post you quoted. Good job!
My intent is to make Lapoint, if that's a concern for you, and why it would be I have no clue.
Please.... don't flatter yourself. I know its hard not to do, but please don't.

View attachment 39323

Sounds like you’re still confused. If you want to quote me, have at it, but, I’m afraid that “They all get scopes for load development” is not the same as “I only use scopes for load development.”

My intent is to make Lapoint,

But go ahead and make all the “Lapoints” you’d like. 🤣

2023-12-07 15_14_47-DWR RAC Meeting - Southeastern Region 11_15_2023 - YouTube.png
Online feedback to RAC regions after the initial proposal was released (see subtitle). 60% strongly disagree with 6% more mildly disagree, which was stronger than the initial survey results (66% total disagreement rate). 4 that commented in person at this regional RAC meeting (Southeast - where I hunt) agreed with the proposal and 1 was neutral. I did not watch the other region videos, although I’d like to because I’m interested… but I have a life.

I'm 20 minutes from Utah. The hunters I know, in Utah, are NOT in favor of the restrictions.

But, legislators rarely make rules/guidelines/laws based on facts or common sense. Nor do they care what their constituents want. Once they're in office, they believe they're GOD!

I'm 20 minutes from Utah. The hunters I know, in Utah, are NOT in favor of the restrictions.

But, legislators rarely make rules/guidelines/laws based on facts or common sense. Nor do they care what their constituents want. Once they're in office, they believe they're GOD!
It could as easily gone in a totally opposite, and just as bad, direction. Here we can use almost anything in our ML season. A flintlock, inline, bolt action ML, shotgun, CF rifle, or even an AR15(provided theyre chambered in an acceptable straight wall cartridge). Scopes are not restricted at all. I could use a 50x scope if i wanted one. ML season is just another regular firearm season here.

It could as easily gone in a totally opposite, and just as bad, direction. Here we can use almost anything in our ML season. A flintlock, inline, bolt action ML, shotgun, CF rifle, or even an AR15(provided theyre chambered in an acceptable straight wall cartridge). Scopes are not restricted at all. I could use a 50x scope if i wanted one. ML season is just another regular firearm season here.
He is right. The majority of hunters in Utah disagreed with the proposals.

No way! The western states won't go the opposite. Utah doesn't have the numbers of animals that we have here, not even close. So far, the...... "reported" .... harvest here is 250,389 deer as of today, and we still have way too many, and with seasons that start in Sept and run through Jan.

Let us not forget...... We also have sharpshooters ......... killing ....... them in the urban areas. Then we also have the sharpshooters that are ...... killing ...... them all summer long, at night, and it doesn't matter rather they are doe, fawn, or buck. Those numbers are NOT counted as harvests.

I would bet that Utah doesn't have a muley lying beside the road every 1/4 to 1/2 mile like we do here.

So......... I would have to respectfully disagree that it could have gone the opposite ;)

He is right. The majority of hunters in Utah disagreed with the proposals.

No way! The western states won't go the opposite. Utah doesn't have the numbers of animals that we have here, not even close. So far, the...... "reported" .... harvest here is 250,389 deer as of today, and we still have way too many, and with seasons that start in Sept and run through Jan.

Let us not forget...... We also have sharpshooters ......... killing ....... them in the urban areas. Then we also have the sharpshooters that are ...... killing ...... them all summer long, at night, and it doesn't matter rather they are doe, fawn, or buck. Those numbers are NOT counted as harvests.

I would bet that Utah doesn't have a muley lying beside the road every 1/4 to 1/2 mile like we do here.

So......... I would have to respectfully disagree that it could have gone the opposite ;)
But if you add up pronghorn, elk, moose, bear, sheep, deer... You've got to realize that there's more than one big game species. And they migrate. They can't just live at the golf course all year. And there's not the population and roadway density like there is back east. Also, the entirety of the West are destination hunts. The herds are managed for trophies, to draw the out of state economies. No one really travels to Michigan for that "once in a lifetime" hunt.

That doesn’t exactly sound like a dedicated ML season.

But if you add up pronghorn, elk, moose, bear, sheep, deer... You've got to realize that there's more than one big game species. And they migrate. They can't just live at the golf course all year. And there's not the population and roadway density like there is back east. Also, the entirety of the West are destination hunts. The herds are managed for trophies, to draw the out of state economies. No one really travels to Michigan for that "once in a lifetime" hunt.
MI has elk, moose and all kinds of bear that are all over the place. Yup, we don't have pronghorn or sheep.

As my post mentioned.......... Utah will not go like MI................

You can’t drive big, heavy, large projectiles hundreds of yards past where you can’t see (long range). You can only do that with smaller caliber bullets. You missed the intent of the post.

In terms of tradition, I won’t argue that smaller calibers may have won the east, but absolutely did not win the west. “As traditional as it gets” is completely subjective.

As Yukon Cornelius would say, “You eat what you like, I’ll eat what I like.”
That is where the problem lies ,folks like you tellin me and others to eat what you like not what we like . Kinda like vegans telling all to eat grass and (some cases smoke it) , no thanks !!!!!!!! I eat meat and how I kill it(not harvested) only happens with scopes (all my sidelocks use them) my age eyes require them if I want to eat meat and I eat real regular . Not a couch potato or a tree hugger just a non cereal eater putting the accuracy potential to work and saves unintended crippling like a lot of nimrods cause , screwed up yardage /poor judgement /and wrong bullet for the job or lack of practice magnified by taking scopes out of the picture !/Ed

Scopes aren't a great benefit where I hunt in southern Arkansas. 50 yards is a long shot unless you are hunting power line right of ways. A good peep sight is sufficient in good light. A scope does help my tired old eyes at dawn and dusk though.
At peek times it does help which is why scopes should be used ,keeps (hunters honest) antler restrictions/wrong sex and they get left to rot/Ed

That doesn’t exactly sound like a dedicated ML season.
No sir, its not. Well its not dedicated to MLs anyway. Point was, tho, that they could have made much worse changes then they did. They have an agenda thats probably got little to do with what we, as hunter, want. Yeah hunting out west is nothing like hunting out east. The prey and the politics are different. But we all have to play by the rules, like them or not. And no matter what the rules are, somebody wont like them and will want to change things. Its not easy but they can be changed. I wouldnt be sad at all if we had a traditional ML season, no scopes or sabots. But i lack the power to get it done.

No sir, its not. Well its not dedicated to MLs anyway. Point was, tho, that they could have made much worse changes then they did. They have an agenda thats probably got little to do with what we, as hunter, want. Yeah hunting out west is nothing like hunting out east. The prey and the politics are different. But we all have to play by the rules, like them or not. And no matter what the rules are, somebody wont like them and will want to change things. Its not easy but they can be changed. I wouldnt be sad at all if we had a traditional ML season, no scopes or sabots. But i lack the power to get it done.
Thank God for small favors/Ed

......................... And no matter what the rules are, somebody wont like them and will want to change things. Its not easy but they can be changed.................
That is true. However, the overwhelming majority of hunters there did not want the change. I think the "majority" has been echoed not only by surveys (except the one by those that wanted the change), but also by a few members who actually live in Utah.

Now lets see what WILL happen.............. those long range rifle builders are going to make a FORTUNE off this change.

What might happen............... I'd suggest that its likely fact, that the western states take in a huge amount of revenue from out of state hunters, including muzzleloader hunters. How many of those muzzleloader hunters that may not have iron sights or red dots, will buy them and leave their $1,200 scope at home? Money drives everything.......

Latest posts

Back