What a bummer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Sitting here getting all of the measurements for the new molds. I start with the .45 Platinum and come up with .123" Dia & .247" Length. Then i measure the .45 Copper Series. .125" Dia & .247" Length. I have to make an entire mold just because of the small differences between the two.

I am going to do the copper series first and then see if that sucker will squeeze down small enough to fit the .45 Platinum.

That is what i was going to say..How many of each did you measure?

And if you use a smaller drillbit but apply the same screw for the threads...
Then one insert will fit both bullets ,,just the smaller one will fold the outer threads more.
And .002" is less thickness than the hair on your arm,,by about .0005
Go ahead measure the hair==== .0025

I am going to cut a single slice 5" long by 5/8" wide and then cut that in half and i'll have the .45cal mold. Doing it this way i will get more material out of that chunk of aluminum. No need for a long heavy mold lol.

If i can thumb it right, About 9 molds total is what i can get out of it.

The smaller hole was probably because the Platinums have a sharper taper. Keep in mind the hollowpoint inner side walls are very, very soft(at least it is in the copper series). I have found some imperfections in a few of the Powerbelt hollowpoint holes of the .45's where the 1/8" (0.125") solder was way too tight. If you take a new, 1/8" cobalt drill and center mount in a very small wooden dowl to use as a handle, the hole can be easily and accurately routered to 1/8" by hand with a very slight hand twist.. and I mean slight. It doesn't take much pressure at all when cobalt meets lead!

Latest posts

Back