What Rifle to buy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys think?

• Ruger M77 Black synthetic and SS barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington 700 Black synthetic and SS barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I cant decide on what rifle to buy for me and my son. I do know it will be a 7mm-08. This Rifle must be a bolt action as well.

SUCH an easy decision for me. Ruger barrels are hit or miss...Remington 700 all the way..

What Chuck said!! :mrgreen:

Ruger... ya gotta be lucky to get one worth a darn! Plus the trigger is crappy but with the 700 trigger you can adjust it yourself or bring it to the pheasant hunt and I will do it for you!

Remington is it when it comes to customizing or aftermarket parts. If you can think it, it is already made for the 700!

Buy the Remington Tom.. save the Ruger for your six shooter.

I new what you two were going to say. :) The Remington is $100.00 bucks more. :shock: Of course its half the price of my Muzzleloaders. :D

I would have to vote for the Remington also and I am not a Remington fan.

Tom, the Rem wins the choice you gave, but look at the Weatherby line of starter guns. My pal got one for a few buck less then the 700 adl syn and it shot great, right at MOA out of the box, in 300WSSM no less. I was very pleased with that rifle, great value for the $$
He got his at Gander Mtn, you may be able to find a better price if you look.

Rifleman said:
Tom, the Rem wins the choice you gave, but look at the Weatherby line of starter guns. My pal got one for a few buck less then the 700 adl syn and it shot great, right at MOA out of the box, in 300WSSM

Now that you mention that, i think they are guaranteed right out of the box. :idea: Thanks

As regards WalMart. A number of them are discontinuing firearms sales and they send them to those that will keep selling but at reduced prices. My uncles and I bought four Weatherby Vanguards at $250 apiece. Three were in .270 Win and one in .300 Weatherby. All plastic stocks but the triggers are not too bad. Alot of gun for the money at those prices.

Grouse said:
Rifleman said:
Tom, the Rem wins the choice you gave, but look at the Weatherby line of starter guns. My pal got one for a few buck less then the 700 adl syn and it shot great, right at MOA out of the box, in 300WSSM

Now that you mention that, i think they are guaranteed right out of the box. :idea: Thanks

They are guaranteed only to be able to shoot a 1.5 inch 3- shot group at 100yds. Such a target will be supplied with a new Weatherby. And although I do own a wonderful Weatherby Mark V and have owned one of the Vangards in .270 that was a really good shooter...I won't buy another one simply because they choose to not give the purchaser a warranty. From Weatherby: Because of the confidence we have in our products, Weatherby does not provide a written warranty.... Boy...THAT'S CONFIDENCE! :roll: Is that the definition of an oxymoron or not?

If you're wanting to cut cost a little..why not a Savage? I'd rather have a Savage 16FHSS than the Ruger or Weatherby. Then you'd have Savages warranty which is infinitely better than Rugers and Weatherby and you'd have Joe DeGrande for customer support. What more could you want? I wonder why Savage doesn't offer a laminate stock on their short action centerfire?

I vote Remington or Savage! :yeah:

im a fan of the ruger model 77,
i have a 308 in all s/s lami stock,
i really like the safety system better then the remington

(I have personally seen 2 remingtons on trips in mountains that have gotten packed with snow by acccident that we had to chisel the edge of the stock away to get it to move in the freezing cold

where on the ruger we could have heated the end of the bolt with a match to melt the ice

the remington is a 5.0 mustang for the 90s millions of aftermarket items the sky is the limit

check out the new ruger hawkeye . . . they've made some changes

i'd look at a savage, too . . . but the rugers are purtier :D

something no one has mentioned here is the tikka. i think they have a pretty good bit of plastic on them, and they're not a true short action (all actions are the same length). but for the price they've got a great barrel and trigger

Doohan said:
http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/Search.asp#103593

Aaaah, Jaqua's. Very detrimental to your bank account and credit cards walking in that place. :lol:

Agree with N8dawg6 on the Tikka. I have a Sako 300 win mag, and would definately look at the Tikka if I was going to get another rifle.

cerec_cat said:
Agree with N8dawg6 on the Tikka. I have a Sako 300 win mag, and would definately look at the Tikka if I was going to get another rifle.

I agree as well. I've never owned a Tikka but have shot a few and know of some guys that have them as well.. I think a Tikka would be a good choice as well. Two year warranty too!

I have a Ruger KM77 MkII .30-06 and it shoots well. I had a trigger job done on it.

My most recent SS bolt rifle purchase was a Winchester M70 classic stainless .30-06 on clearance at Wal-Mart! It shoots well.

Ruger vs. Remington pros & cons- (I own some of each)
1. Remington is more likely to be a good shooter, and the trigger is adjustable. But, it's heavier with its 24" barrel, and you'll have to buy rings & bases. Every Remington bolt action I own/did own (600's, 700's, 721, 788) was a good shooter.
2. Ruger is lighter (synthetic stock version), has a 22" barrel, comes with rings. I like the controlled-round feed action. It's even slicker than my M70 classic stainless. But, a Ruger will need a trigger job. It may or may not be a shooter. My KM77 MkII needed some break-in before it shot well.

On older rifles, the M700 with a walnut stock with a 22" barrel is lighter than a walnut stocked Ruger. The old M77's had a trigger with external weight-of-pull adjustment.

Either gun will probably work OK.

Back