Where do Ca shooters get Goex???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kg6ysf

Reaction score
Okay I live in the Peoples Republic of Ca. That being the case where do I go to get black powder.

I know where to get Pyrodex or Blackhorn and the like. However I would like to get a flintlock and it has been made very clear that these don;t work in flintlocks. So how about some good old Goex? I would like to walk into a store so as to avoid some of the exorbitant shipping on powder.

Thanks

Okay nuff said. I get it you can only order it. So where do you order it in less than five pound lots?

"If" I understand California law correctly it is a felony to posses more than one pound of black powder and/or 20 pounds of smokeless powder at any
given time.

I would prefer to stay within the law.

HazMat fee is going to kill you ordering just 1 pound at a time.

Grafs will sell you just 1 pound.

I will check them out. I don't know how others do it here in the "PRC". I would like to buy 5lbs at a time. Getting it legally is the issue. If anybody here in Ca can give me some info it would be nice.

Wow, only one pound? That seems pretty unreasonable to me, but that's also one of the reasons why I moved out of that state over 20 years ago. If I moved back with all my powder, I guess I might get life or the death penalty! :shock:

Yeah I have been thinking about checking in Oregon and Nevada. I'm about 4-6 hours out of Nevada depending on weather and traffic. Oregon is about 6 hours + depending on Traffic and weather so I don't get there near as often.

Don't get caught. Knowing California, the fine is probably ridiculous.

Yep I do not plan to break the law but rather difficult to do and get what would be needed. I need to get 2f and 4f if I understand correctly for the flintlock. The 4f for priming and the 2f for the main charge right?

Hey, can you buy 1 pound for you 1 pound for your neighbor one pound for. . .

Gosh darn. . .I sure am glad I don't live in Commifonia. . .I would be a lifer for sure. . . .without parole. . . .

One other thing to think about. . .

Black Powder is classified DIFFERENTLY than Pyrodex. And pyrodex 2f will work for your main charge. Thus, I do not know the laws of California, but if they classify Goex differently than Pyrodex, you may be able to own more than 1 or 2 pounds of R/S, or P.

Just thinking off the top of my head here. . .

Yep it only applies to black powder. You can have have up to 20 lbs. of modern powder or BP substitute or combination there of.

However staying in the law in the PRC can be hard where firearms are concerned.

This is correct. . .a few years ago (forgot how many. . .) they classified Black powder as an explosive. . which it really isn't. . .but they did it anyhow.

Substitutes were NOT classified as an explosive. . .So. . ..

If what you are saying it correct, and Ca allows 20 pounds of Substitutes and 1 pound of GP, you have it made. . .you can be perfectly legal. ..

You can purchase 19 pounds of Substitute and 1 pound of GP under one Charge, and have both pan primer AND main charge. Your hazmat fee of 25 dollars will only add approx 1.05 to the cost of your "per pound".

There are many sites that will sell you such an order.

I would recommend 4F for primer and 2F Substitute for Main. If you want to pay the extra cost, go 3F. But you will not pick up that much more velocity with the faster powder. One pound of 4F will last you a long LONG time. A primer pan (for the most part) is anywhere between 2 and 6 grains of powder. There are approx 7000 grains in a pound of powder (depending upon how you want to measure it).

Thus, (checking with your legality situation), you may be able to order 19 lbs of Substitute and 1 lbs of Flashpowder, and have a few wonderful years of enjoyment before ordering more.

My experience with subs in a flintlock weren't that good. BP is much more reliable for the main charge. Of course the pan needs BP for sure.

Using 3F in BP seems his best option, but the 1 lb limit will be too costly. If I was in that situation i'd shoot a caplock. Then a sub would be of for the main charge.

Tough situation.

I had thought about doing exactly that however I was under the impression that the BP subs didn't work well in that application.

If it will work that way then I'm good. Great!

Thanks for the help. Sometimes I just need to get my brain realigned.:wink:

I have thought about a cap lock however I like the flintlocks more rustic appeal. It uses a less refined action. I guess it's a little closer to the ol' Brown Bess with better ballistics. I guess I just like the flintlock better.

Latest posts

Back