Where would you start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota

Reaction score
Here is a map of my new hunting area I got today. Far left is an interstate, far right is a gravel road. The hole spot is 32 acres. Front half is a hay field with the back being woods. Have not been in the woods yet. Will be going in this weekend to set cameras up. The owner said the woods is really thick. They have lived there 3 years, and I will be the first guy to hunt it in the 3 years. Not sure before that. Going in blind, where would yoiu start? Any places by looking at the map where you would hang a camera?

Untitled_zpserzlmdzz.jpg

I have no idea yet. Yesterday was the first time I got to see it, and that was from a distance. I am going out this weekend to put in some boot time, and hang some cameras. I think I will hang a couple around the pond, (that is if there is actually water in it now) and a couple in that open area between the thick woods, and that little island of trees.

Such a small area. I'd either still hunt into it, or sit and wait almost anywhere, and watch what goes on.

If there is a tall tree in the worm-like projection in the middle on the left side, climb it in the late afternoon and sit until dark. If deer are using the funnel areas to the tree island, you should be able to see both approaches.

32 acres is mighty small, in a tall tree stand you should be able to see most everything there is to see in the open areas.

I would hunt the 12 o,clock corner and or right off that finger point depending on the wind. From those 2 points it appears that you would be able to see everything walking in from any direction. Wind direction would be the key element here......GOOD LUCK :!: :!:

Ray............. :shooter:

well you have 2 things that could hinder you....interstate noise and area size....I dont know what they have for mast crops in your state but that would be first to find...and set a camera there..then set some on the woodland edges...seeing if any crossing to the center wooded island...are there any farms by there growing food or animal crops...if so the deer may be in them areas more than a hay area...they relly dont eat hay...alfalfa they eat...

if the woods are very thick ..bushwacking will alert them big time...best to stay to woodland edge on fields...look for trails...you dont want to scare them out of the area..

you may find a cart road if your lucky to walk in the wooded section...just to check sign ...

that little llama head outcrop below your pin would be a good sit place to cover the woodlands to field area...

What happens if you shoot a deer, and it runs to the next property? Can you get it?

It's funny how everyone is say how small it is. My other spot that I have been hunting for the past 10 years is ably 15 acres, so to me, this place is huge!!  Lol!

Yes, it's all what you get used to. This is one of my hunting areas. I have about 10 different ones that look just like this one.

IMG_0569.jpg

Will there be a food source along the fence rows......especially the bottom one? You have an island like patch of woods in the middle of the pick with two funnel areas under it.  The smaller funnel area would be my first choice as deer here like to follow fence rows to food plots. Of course wind directions will be a factor as to stand locations & entry points.

Scouting will tell you much more. Enjoy the new property & keep us posted

Greg

I Lost a piece of property that had an Interstate running thought the property. I found that the deer tend to travel just into the woods from the highway right of way. The large highway would funnel the deer. Your problem looks to be to hunt this area you will have to pass through the property to get there UNLESS you will have a friend hunting with you. Then you could take turns dropping each other off on the highway at o'dark thirty and quietly get 25 yards or so into the woods and take a stand. Any hunting pressure on adjoining properties will push deer to you.

The ajoining property at the top appears to have a small field/open area next to the interstate. The corner of that opening where it turns to woods and adjoins your property would be my pick. Looks like a good funnel.

The highway noise can also cover your noise on a slow stalk parallel to the highway. But as you know, anything you do depends on wind direction.

Good luck.
Glenn

New places to hunt are always exciting.   i'd have no reservations hunting that parcel BigDaddy simply because of where it's situated relative to the surrounding parcels.   Like Fishnet said I'd bet there's a worn historic deer trail running parallel to the highway which gives them a steady thermal to travel.    If it's really thick it's likely a bedding area so I wouldn't tromp around in there  too much...especially during hunting season.  With new areas I always do a reconnaissance to see where the deer are and plan from there.  I've bounced deer out of their bedding areas while scouting prior to hunting season, and they seem to go right back in there so long as you don't make a habit of it.  Once you find that special spot for a tree stand or ground blind, you may need to clear-away some woody vegetatiion to get to your stand quietly.  

Good luck BigDaddy with your new spot :Red tup:

BigDaddy check the edge of the woods coming into the fields for trails, they like edge cover. The parallel trail to the interstate is solid info, area the water source. Definitely check the wind at different times of the day.

Good luck!

Check the pond area for deer sign.  Find a game trail and put out a camera.  

Hunting near an interstate highway is a good way to kill a monster buck.   i've seen several big bucks near interstate highways.   Many years ago i was driving along I-79  in WV during deer season.   i watched a huge buck enter in the woods near the highway.   Took the next exit, worked  my way around and killed a 10 point  buck that scored  182  B&C  points.  

Don't worry about the acreage.  A friend owns 8 acres where he kills a nice buck or two nearly every year.   My son owns 17 acres near Hempstead, TX that is a deer magnet.  

Good luck at your new hunting place.

Personally, I wouldn't go near that place until I had gun and tag in my hand. They haven't had any pressure up until now. I'd leave it like that until the hunt. It shouldn't be hard to figure out once you start hunting.

This time of year the whitetail bucks are going to be grouped together just thinking about food. When the velvet comes off, they will split into smaller groups and start to change their patterns. Once the acorns fall, the pattern will shift from crops to woods.

You need to go in right now and scout the whole area thoroughly. Knowing the lay of the land is important. This won't spook the deer bad. The deer will return and calm down before their pattern changes. Pick several spots depending on wind and food sources. Write these down and then you can use this info through the whole season.

If there are crops like alfalfa or corn, they will use these until acorns drop ... like shooting fish in a barrel. ;)

Lay of the land? It's flat, small pond maybe, and some woods.

All done.

You don't hunt whitetails do you?

I see at least 3 different species of trees and a possible ditch/creek. The whole wooded area shown is there because it was deemed not suitable for farming.
Elevation isn't the only parameter.

I hunted lots of whitetails in New England. I just wouldn't disturb that small area until I was hunting. It looks pretty easy for the deer to move to the property right next to it.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back