Where would you start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went in yesterday and hung 3 cameras. Man is it thick!!! And I didn't even make it to the woods yet.. The woods is pretty much impenetrable. I will have to cut trails to the pond. If anything else, I want to see what the pond area is like. There is corn on both sides. I have picked several good trees that I could put a stand in on the front half, that will let me see pretty much the entire clearing are in the middle. Going back with my buddy and his son this next week sometime to try and cut a path to the pond, and just show them around. I took some pictures, and will try and post them.

IMG_2707_zpswscxhgct.jpg

IMG_2706_zps4oil4dce.jpg

IMG_2705_zps4rr0y6gy.jpg

IMG_2704_zpsmujojdaz.jpg

IMG_2703_zps9ezz6psh.jpg

IMG_2702_zps6vxvirbp.jpg

IMG_2701_zps61gwpcsn.jpg

IMG_2700_zpsne2psquz.jpg

IMG_2699_zpsf5glipkb.jpg

IMG_2698_zps5tkbxtuf.jpg

IMG_2697_zpschx4hpcc.jpg

IMG_2696_zpsa53bs7mj.jpg

IMG_2695_zpstcvtbzfl.jpg

IMG_2694_zpspwwodfeu.jpg

IMG_2693_zpsljwtdkpm.jpg

If someone has a tractor and bush hog, mowing a few paths would make it easier to walk in and the deer would probably start to use them.
The whole area looks real good.

The vegetation (bushes) look like willows which means a wet area but beech trees like wet and drop nuts that deer like. Some species of oak like wet feet too. I see a red oak branch right over your car in the 2nd photo and maybe a willow oak in the 5th photo. I'd be hanging out on that land all through deer season. :twisted:

You have stumbled upon the deer bedroom with thick cover like that. That property will control a lot of deer that use the surrounding crop fields for a buffet. If you can find a vantage point where you can glass the crop fields once harvest time rolls around you can figure out the quality of deer that call your place home. I suspect your prime hunting will be afternoon hunts as the deer move to the fields. Early morning will have the deer coming to your property and they may already be there and bedded down by shooting light. 

Like Muley said, you need to be careful scouting in the bedroom.

All the bucks will come looking for does when the rut takes place and I think you will have some does in that thicket.

I predict you are going to have some fun this year.

Hunt the edges, hunt the edges and hunt the edges.

Glenn

If someone has a tractor and bush hog, mowing a few paths would make it easier to walk in and the deer would probably start to use them.
This. 

i'm a firm believer in man made deer trails. Deer will follow a brushogged trail  through brush, thickets or tall grass  nearly 100 percent of the time.  

Don't worry too much about scaring the deer off.   

Latest posts

Back