which would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which would you choose?

• Rem700

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Accura

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Optima

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • TC Omega (stainless)

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Knight MK85 stainless

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Knight Disc Extreme

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
I voted Omega. It was easy decision. With 777 or proper plug and BH209 and thor bullets they are deer killin machines. The rem 700Ml would be 2nd choice but needs the Hunter boltnose and breechplug to be BH209 compatible and free of blowback. The Knight would be my 3rd choice as they are quality rifles and accurate.

Personally my 1st choice is not listed but is mentioned. #1 would be a White Rifle! 504 or 451 suit yourself. Then there are lots of good slamfire era guns available, from Gonic to the TC lineup = Thunderhawk - Firehawk - Black Diamond - System 1 -,, to Ruger 77/50.

Improving the rem 700ML and the Ruger 77/50 with the Hunter boltnose and breechplug is well worth the cost, makes them BH209 compatible and if done properly = blowback gone. \

JMHO, But to answer the OP, Omega.

it seems like loose powder is the go-to option these days, BH209 so be exact...is that true? Is there that much benefit to loose over pellets?

If so, which of my options will shoot the loose powder best?

Blackhorn 209 does not pickup moisture and is less corrosive than other BP substitutes. Loose powder will allow you to "tune" a load to the rifle and you. I would pick either Omega with standard breech plugs or CVA accura MR with a blackhorn 209 breech plug. Be sure to use a "hot" 209 primer like cci mag or Winchester W209 primers.

Actually I have had about half of the listed guns, with out considering my custom built 45 on an encore base the best that I have ever owned is Endeavor encore. I know some do not care for break actions but a properly tuned on will shoot with any other type I believe that few bother to learn how to tune them.

I like my Omega.45, and also like my LHR Redemption. I don't care for the QLA barrel on the Omega but it's very accurate with sabots, as well as the LHR.
Magnum

lets say i go with an Accura Nitride MR....would you get it with the Konus scope? Or no scope and get your own? Im not shooting long range for what its worth.... Just not sure about Konus quality

also...is the nitride worth it? or should i just get stainless?

scottprice said:
lets say i go with an Accura Nitride MR....would you get it with the Konus scope? Or no scope and get your own? Im not shooting long range for what its worth.... Just not sure about Konus quality

also...is the nitride worth it? or should i just get stainless?

Nitride is worth it. Its a stainless barrel under the nitride treatment. Get a different scope. You need to look at a bunch it's all about personal taste.

does anyone else think the Optima and Accura are too similar to justify spending more on the Accura? And, does the Nitride chip off? Coatings aren't my favorite thing....

Only the barrel has the nitride treatment. The receiver is just a coating. Nitride itself is not a coating. It actually changes the surface layer of the metal making it harder and more corrosion resistant.

BLACKNITRIDE™, or Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, is the thermochemical that simultaneously diffuses nitrogen and carbon into the surface of ferrous metals. During the process, a two-part surface layer is formed, an outer iron nitride layer with a nitrogen diffusion layer below it. During this treatment, nitrogen and carbon are absorbed by and diffused into the surface of the metal. Reproducible and uniform layers with a predetermined thickness will be formed on all areas of the metal. The result of this process is markedly improved surface properties on ferrous metal parts while maintaining dimensional and shape stability.

Metal components treated with BLACKNITRIDE™ have increased wear-resistance, fatigue strength, corrosion resistance, lubricity and cosmetic appeal. Often replacing the more expensive processes of hard chrome or nickel plating, BLACKNITRIDE™ gives better corrosion protection at equivalent or lower costs. Additionally, BLACKNITRIDE™ is commonly used as an alternative to high temperature conventional heat treatments such as carburizing and carbonitriding.

scottprice said:
I think I'm down to Accura vs Optima at this point....

I'm not a CVA fan at all. However I helped a guy with his V2 last fall when he was preparing for an Iowa deer hunt. It shot very well. He was shooting BH209 and Barnes 250gr T-EZ bullets. Oh ya, he connected with one of those bruiser Iowa whitetails too.

scottprice said:
great info Shawn, thanks. I really like the knights as well.

Whats the main difference between pellets like 777 and Black Horn 209 (other than pellet vs loose)? Im used to using loose powder since I'm a flintlock guy, so i think i would prefer loose, correct me if I'm wrong.... but i have no experience with anything involved with inlines...

As for the 700s, i would guess that they are older, but i can't be sure. they are on GunBroker

Most guys here do shoot loose powder of some type. A Closed/Sealed ignition is needed for BH209. It is not a traditional sub powder and is Nitrocellulose based so needs a hotter sealed ignition to get it lit. The Open Plunger actions are not recommended with BH due to the blowback. Break actions work with BH too. As another mentioned there really is no fine tuning of the charge when using pellets. Pellets are also sold in Boxes that are not sealed so can draw moisture, where as Loose is always on a Sealed bottle as for as I have seen. Most Plunger actions that use a #11 cap don't do well with Pellets either, as they can be a little hard to ignite. 209 or Large rifle primer ignitions work good with Pellets.

There are older 700's on Gunbroker and there is a member here (derfhunter) that came up with the Hunter Bolt nose kit that has really changed that rifle. Then there are the New 700's that are out that have a completely different Ignition (Large Rifle Mag Primer). Lots of guys get the older rifle to change the barrels and use for builds to other calibers including smokeless builds.

Latest posts

Back