which would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which would you choose?

• Rem700

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Accura

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Optima

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • TC Omega (stainless)

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Knight MK85 stainless

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Knight Disc Extreme

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
scottprice said:
mk85s look nice....whats the ignition system on them?
Plunger action. Usually #11 cap but a few have changed to 209. The #11 cap works more than adequate for them, no need for the 209's. Great Simple Rifles. :yeah:

im a simple man, so thats good haha... can they shoot BH209?

Would this be a better option over an Accura or Optima?

scottprice said:
im a simple man, so thats good haha... can they shoot BH209?

Would this be a better option over an Accura or Optima?
No. BH is not recommended for Plunger type actions.

Think about your budget and the rifle fit. Optima is a great lower cost new option. The Knight Ultralight is a great higher price choice. Omega is a great used lower cost choice too. All will kill the deer dead with practice. A good scope is just about the same price as a good muzzleloader. Good luck with your purchase!

I can vouch for the mk 85s. They are "old school", simple and deadly. I have had good luck with black powder and triple seven both. I tend to favor real black. If I was you I'd try to find one with a stainless barrel and a laminated thumbhole stock. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you get, good luck to ya and welcome to the forum.
Art

My two sons & I each hunt/shoot with CVA Accuras. One son uses BH209 and the other son & I use 2 pellets of T7. All 3 BP rifles are very accurate and I doubt that anyone can tell the difference between the powders with respect to accuracy. We all shoot the Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullets with the blue Sabot. We also use Barnes Sabot Loading Jag for Pointed Bullets, Item : IK - 214075, which ensures that the bullet is seated properly without any miss-alignment. I do NOT have any problems with cleaning my V2 nor do my sons with their MRs. All 3 Accuras have Nikon scopes which we purchased & installed, bore sighted and easy to sight in.
IMG_2771.jpg

Optima V2, Nikon inline xr, 100 grns Black Horn 209, 300 grn Thor, Federal 209A primer. Black composite, stainless barrel at muzzleloader.com shows $480.00. Obviously camo,thumbhole stock and nitride would be more. Imo the Nikon is one of the best scopes on the market. If you intend to shoot black horn you will need the black horn breach plug.

rangerod said:
Regulator29 said:
New to muzzleloading and having a blast with my Rem 700 UML

IMG_1610_zpsmzd1npia.jpg
How do you like the ignition system on the Rem? I got this itch. It seems to happen about every four months. What's a good price?See them on GB for about seven and a quarter.
I am new to the ML game, but not to guns and hunting. The ignition system on the Rem 700 UML is extremely clean and very easy to use. I'm loading 3 777 mag pellets followed by Rem/Barnes 250 sabot. Gun does require a spit swab between shots. My groups exceeded my expectations so have not had the itch to change anything yet, need more range time. I paid $849 for my ML

scottprice said:
am i over thinking the BH209?
I've never shot anything other than black horn in any of my break actions and sure I never will. I have one plunger style and two percussions that I shoot with 777.

Regulator29 said:
rangerod said:
Regulator29 said:
New to muzzleloading and having a blast with my Rem 700 UML

IMG_1610_zpsmzd1npia.jpg
How do you like the ignition system on the Rem? I got this itch. It seems to happen about every four months. What's a good price?See them on GB for about seven and a quarter.
I am new to the ML game, but not to guns and hunting. The ignition system on the Rem 700 UML is extremely clean and very easy to use. I'm loading 3 777 mag pellets followed by Rem/Barnes 250 sabot. Gun does require a spit swab between shots. My groups exceeded my expectations so have not had the itch to change anything yet, need more range time. I paid $849 for my ML
Did you buy it with the scope on it? Is that a Leupold?

Travis299 said:
My two sons & I each hunt/shoot with CVA Accuras. One son uses BH209 and the other son & I use 2 pellets of T7. All 3 BP rifles are very accurate and I doubt that anyone can tell the difference between the powders with respect to accuracy. We all shoot the Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullets with the blue Sabot. We also use Barnes Sabot Loading Jag for Pointed Bullets, Item : IK - 214075, which ensures that the bullet is seated properly without any miss-alignment. I do NOT have any problems with cleaning my V2 nor do my sons with their MRs. All 3 Accuras have Nikon scopes which we purchased & installed, bore sighted and easy to sight in.
IMG_2771.jpg
All I can say is "Sweet".

rangerod said:
Regulator29 said:
rangerod said:
Did you buy it with the scope on it? Is that a Leupold?
Yes it is Leopold 3-9x40. Gun did not come with scope, but purchased same time the gun was.

scottprice said:
does anyone else think the Optima and Accura are too similar to justify spending more on the Accura? And, does the Nitride chip off? Coatings aren't my favorite thing....
I didn't think the adjustable trigger and the rubber comfort inserts in the stocks was worth it on the Accura. I went with the Optima and spending the same money bought a better scope. From what I've read accuracy wise the Optima keeps right up with the Accura.

rangerod said:
I didn't think the adjustable trigger and the rubber comfort inserts in the stocks was worth it on the Accura.
those are the only differences i see as well...

In some ways Blackhorn and 777 are similar the same amount of powder will give similar velocities up to 110 grains, now for the differences 777 is known to give crud ring in some circumstances that requires getting it out every shot people that get this problem use something else at best you need to swab every shot for the best accuracy. Even though the velocity is similar the pressure peak of Blackhorn is longer and 15 to 18 percent lower which allows a larger safety margin. Then to top things off Blackhorn shoots most accurate with out any swabbing between shots.
Then there is real black and Pyrodex which do not have as high an energy content but are excellent powders and lower in price.

Lee 9 said:
Then there is real black and Pyrodex which do not have as high an energy content but are excellent powders and lower in price.
I shoot GOEX in all my flintlocks and am extremely happy with it. How do you think that would perform in an inline? Lets say compared to BH209...

Keep in mind I have only shot and hunted with flintlocks, sorry for all the questions

The big thing about Blackhorn is no swabbing, and its very consistent, both in grain and velocity spreads. If your already coming from a Muzzleloader background (traditional) then you are used to swabbing, Blackhorn is Non Hydroscopic (does not wick moisture) They all have pros and cons. (the swabbing regimen is focused on a different principle for different powders, but the method, and end result are standard across the board) The more accurate claim you always hear is kind of open to interpretation, and I dont feel is truly substantiated. Some guys like it, some dont. I shoot it in my guns that can, But I also shoot real black, and several subs in some that cant really shoot BH reliably, or safely. Its not the end all be all powder, It is good, but most are good, and each has its set of merits and followers. Goex is a fine powder, and if it keeps you happy, you can shoot the same powder you use in flintlock in any inline.

great info Squeeze, thanks. I didn't know GOEX would work well in inlines...that opens up a few more options in terms of guns

I would get a Knight Disc and bare primer BP.

I also like the Omega, and I own 4 MK's. All are great rifles.

If you don't want to spend a ton, the Optima has been proven to be a solid lower end rifle for sure.

Or you could buy one of each... shoot them all and figure out what you like best :yeah: :lol:

Back