which would you choose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which would you choose?

• Rem700

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Accura

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • CVA Optima

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • TC Omega (stainless)

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Knight MK85 stainless

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Knight Disc Extreme

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
I guess I'm a little overwhelmed with all the new info and options. I like the price point and reputation of the Accuras and Optimas... I don't believe that you need to spend a mortgage payment to get a good gun and Ive proven that to myself many times. I think thats the big draw to CVAs for me.

Rem700s are definitely on my radar too, but I'm not familiar with all the upgrades and whatnot that are needed to shoot BH209. Id really like to buy a gun thats ready to roll and then just buy accessories rather than have to rebuild the gun.

scottprice said:
I guess I'm a little overwhelmed with all the new info and options. I like the price point and reputation of the Accuras and Optimas... I don't believe that you need to spend a mortgage payment to get a good gun and Ive proven that to myself many times. I think thats the big draw to CVAs for me.

Rem700s are definitely on my radar too, but I'm not familiar with all the upgrades and whatnot that are needed to shoot BH209. Id really like to buy a gun thats ready to roll and then just buy accessories rather than have to rebuild the gun.
I have an Optima that shoots great with 100 grns black horn and 300 grn Thor bullet. It shoots great with practically anything you stuff it with. I currently have five break action guns all quite accurate. Imho that break actions are not accurate is biased nonsense.

scottprice said:
rangerod said:
scottprice said:
Imho that break actions are not accurate is biased nonsense.
Yes, I didn't want to get off topic, but thats pure BS.

Did someone say that break opens couldn't be accurate, or are you referring to this?

Break open rifles, in general, are not well known for extreme accuracy.
I'm also used to shooting a bolt now, which is in general a much more accurate rifle action for the type of shooting I do, much of it long range. Break open rifles don't do well at long range, but there may be a few rare exceptions.

Lol yeah there is a lot of good choices. There really is no wrong choice. If you happen to pick one that turns out just isn't right for you just sell it on the classifieds here and try again. Even tho I have no experience with CVA that new Acurra MR is a sharp looking ML!

scottprice said:
this is killin me
I would take 03mossy advice. If you purchase a gun and don't like it you can always sell and look for something else. The best you can do with choice is to be able to handle a gun and get a sense for how it feels. I do agree that the bolt actions are more accurate than the break action,but that doesn't mean a break action is inaccurate. My next purchase will probably be a good condition Omega.

rangerod said:
scottprice said:
this is killin me
I would take 03mossy advice. If you purchase a gun and don't like it you can always sell and look for something else. The best you can do with choice is to be able to handle a gun and get a sense for how it feels. I do agree that the bolt actions are more accurate than the break action,but that doesn't mean a break action is inaccurate. My next purchase will probably be a good condition Omega.
or start a collection like some of us....its gotta be a disease with no cure!! :lol:

scottprice said:
I think I'm down to Accura vs Optima at this point....

Get the Optima and use the money you saved on a better scope. I would even suggest the plain ss/black to save a few more $$$s. Another advantage of the Optima is they sell a thumbhole stock for it. Not sure if that is your cup of tea but they dont make one for the Apex or Accura MR. Out of all the THs CVA does offer i thought the one for the Optima felt the best.

Check with Carlos at Ed's Gunshop in Vass NC. He often has the best CVA pricing and will set you up with a ready to shoot rifle. He has all the stuff needed and know his products well.

Make sure you ask for Carlos and tell him you want it "Blackhorn ready". He will make sure you get everything needed for whatever powder you choose.
(910) 692-7936

New to muzzleloading and having a blast with my Rem 700 UML

IMG_1610_zpsmzd1npia.jpg

toytruck said:
rangerod said:
scottprice said:
this is killin me
or start a collection like some of us....its gotta be a disease with no cure!! :lol:

Yes...MAS is a serious condition.

"Hello...My name is Hal and I have a Muzzleloader Acquisition problem!"

toytruck said:
rangerod said:
scottprice said:
this is killin me

The proper medical term is "ADDICTION".
MLAA = muzzle loader acquisition addiction, a very general term lumping a variety of addictions together
I just happen to have SMLAA = smokeless muzzle loader acquisition addiction
There is even a forum dedicated to the souls that have WRAA = White Rifle acquisition addiction = DWBs = dirty white boys
Then there is TMLAA = traditional ML....
then KRAA = Knight rifle AA
then FRAA = Flintlock ...
plus other aquisition addictions that are interrelated

And toytruck is correct, there is no cure, only temporary relief when a dreamed about piece or desired ML is obtained... soon after the ugly beast of addiction rears it's head and the search starts again.... and again.... and again

And you know I'm right about this. W

Regulator29 said:
New to muzzleloading and having a blast with my Rem 700 UML

IMG_1610_zpsmzd1npia.jpg
How do you like the ignition system on the Rem? I got this itch. It seems to happen about every four months. What's a good price?See them on GB for about seven and a quarter.

ohiostate 12 said:
knight disc extreme 52 cal what about a knight LK93???
Considering what's available on the market it would seem hard to justify anything that isn't closed ignition unless required by regulation.

Latest posts

Back