why no 195 spitfire in .50??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cummins cowboy

Reaction score
I can't find anyone who sells the 195 spitfire for a .50 all are listed for the .45. I guess I can just buy the the blue MMP's but before I do has anyone tried this combo and what was accuracy like in .50

I HAVE tried it and got good accuracy with one Disc Elite .50 and not so good accuracy in the other Disc Elite! I have NO idea why Barnes doesn't bring that combo to market.

cummins cowboy said:
I can't find anyone who sells the 195 spitfire for a .50 all are listed for the .45. I guess I can just buy the the blue MMP's but before I do has anyone tried this combo and what was accuracy like in .50

The 175 shot better for me. That was in a Encore. Blue MMP Sabot as well.

what kind of velocity are you guys seeing with the 175grn??? is there such thing as a velocity wall?? where if you keep going lighter you don't gain much velocity?? What I am looking for is a potent long range mule deer load, flat shooting is paramount but it also needs the energy at extented ranges, with that said how will the 175 perform out to 200+yds??remember we are talking .50 caliber guns only. right now I have some 200 grain shockwaves shooting into 1.5moa with 120grns of T7, I may just go with that but I would like slightly more accuracy.

Light bullets and high energy at long range just don't happen out of muzzleloaders. :cry:

I know that, I better just run some ballistics and see what it would give me over the 200grn shockwave,

How fast can you get the 175 spitfire with 3 p pellets or 120grn of T7

Here's what I got using the 175gr Red Hot in my Disc Elite .50:

100gr ffg Triple Se7en: 1883fps
100gr fffg Triple Se7en: 1990fps
150gr Pyrodex Pellets: 2437fps

Now I got really good accuracy with all three loads. If I were to use the bullet, I'd be crazy not to use the 150gr Pyrodex pellet load. 2437fps is nothing to sneeze at and that's the highest velocity I've ever gotten with a conventional muzzleloader. I may in fact use it myself if it is accurate in my other Disc Elite .50 that likes the 200gr SST so well. I can't run any ballistics for this load either as I have no idea what the bc is for that load. I'm sure Knight lists it but I wouldn't put too much faith in it. The 200gr Shockwave/SST has really been a great shooter for me.

Latest posts

Back