Woodman barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brown truck,brown truck,and brown truck!Since holding my barrel hostage since 330 a.m.Sat. morning,UPS just dropped off my 45 cal sml Woodman omega barrel.It was only a 20 minute drive from the hub to my house.This is step number one ,and I hope to put my order in for a Boyds stock next week.THEN comes the real treasure hunt.Finding an action for my omega.Our gun shows are starting to open up here near me next week so I will be on the prowl for an action.Even the longest journey begins with the 1st step.:woohoo:

With the Boyds stock there will be three places that need inletting. The ramrod path, before and between the lugs, and the area between the lugs needs widened. Also the front action screw needs shortened and they do not provide a swivel studor t-nut for the front

I spoke to Boyds and they said they have 2 omega stocks.One is the Feather weight and the other is the Varmit stock.The Varmit stock has a wider channel for what they call, the bull barrel .So I am thinking that maybe If I go with the bull barrel I may not have to open it up.So they tell me.

You will most likely still have to open it up. When I get home I'll take pictures of the differences between the Mark's barrel and factory

I used the Boyd’s Pro Varmint. It did require a little work to get it to fit. Not that much. I opened up the barrel channel slightly to free-float it and bedded the recoil lugs. Not much else required in my case.

Ahh, yes, the front action screw did give me some grief. The ramrod kept binding when I would tighten the front action screw. Took a long time for me to figure out that the screw itself was hitting the ramrod. I didn’t shorten the screw, I just spaced out the screw with a stainless washer until I decide if I’m putting regular pillars or escutcheons in. Works fine for now. BTW, I have compared various Omega action screws and found some slight variation in the lengths.

It feels a little beefy now with the barrel and the picatiny rail,but I am hoping with the stock and rings and scope it will be just a little heavier.I plan to shoot h4198 at 55-60 grains and a 200 grain sst bullet with hlbs and a fed 209 a primer.That is what I shoot in my Knight 45 sml as well.It will shoot lights out with the brux barrel.The Omega is a McGowan I believe.

It feels a little beefy now with the barrel and the picatiny rail,but I am hoping with the stock and rings and scope it will be just a little heavier.I plan to shoot h4198 at 55-60 grains and a 200 grain sst bullet with hlbs and a fed 209 a primer.That is what I shoot in my Knight 45 sml as well.It will shoot lights out with the brux barrel.The Omega is a McGowan I believe.
Does anyone know the velocity that powder charge range is pushing a 200 grain .40 Cal projectile?

Don't know.After I got the accuracy I wanted I never tried another load.Of the sabots I did find,within 10-15 yards,they were all like a flower.Opened up rael nice.I have no intensions of trying something that ain't broke.Other guys are trying down to 52-57 grains and getting great accuracy in their sml.

Don't know.After I got the accuracy I wanted I never tried another load.Of the sabots I did find,within 10-15 yards,they were all like a flower.Opened up rael nice.I have no intensions of trying something that ain't broke.Other guys are trying down to 52-57 grains and getting great accuracy in their sml.
Ok sounds good. I am debating on some sabot loads for reduced recoil in my woodman omega barrel that I’m having done

Last edited:
I clocked a 195 Barnes/HLBS/57 gr H4198/Fed209 load through my 24” McGoewn Omega this weekend - it was 2283 fps @ 60 degrees.

I expected it to be faster - I’ll check again next time I shoot it.
That does seem off..possibly reading the sabot?

Latest posts

Back