Woodsman Omega Upgrade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting Mark to make me a Brux Barrel. I'm planning putting it in a Boyd's Pro Varmit Stock.Can anyone that has built one give me some input on whether a 1 or 1.10 barrel will work. I would like the 1.10 but if it's gonna be a problem I will just go with 1"

Last edited:
I just finished fitting mine. Not a pro varmint but still a Boyd’s. Barrel is 26” and 1.1 at breech and .885 at brake. Mark does amazing work. I sent him a brake I got from Luke and he tapered it to the barrel. Tomorrow I’ll bed it and finish it up.

Attachments

• 45D22925-390A-4140-9D56-A600B4EEA5D3.jpeg
    45D22925-390A-4140-9D56-A600B4EEA5D3.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
I just finished fitting mine. Not a pro varmint but still a Boyd’s. Barrel is 26” and 1.1 at breech and .885 at brake. Mark does amazing work. I sent him a brake I got from Luke and he tapered it to the barrel. Tomorrow I’ll bed it and finish it up.
Is that the Heritage from Boyd’s? I’d be curious on exactly how much wood is left along the shank. I’m thinking about a Platinum from Boyd’s.

The Pro Varmint works great. I’m putting the new Brux on it and thinking about lighter weight options for the McGowen barrel. In the factory synthetic stock the McGowen only weight 7 lbs - which I like. Just thinking about another laminate.
So, you got the 1.10 Brux to fit in the Pro varmit. Would love to see results.

Yes sir it is the Heritage.

Attachments

• 2D0AB985-9A35-4EE2-8449-6A60645E64BE.jpeg
    2D0AB985-9A35-4EE2-8449-6A60645E64BE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 471F6C43-AF3A-48FF-AAC1-1102A433E4C6.jpeg
    471F6C43-AF3A-48FF-AAC1-1102A433E4C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 96A951EB-EC03-43C0-A067-C9AB1C4E18C6.jpeg
    96A951EB-EC03-43C0-A067-C9AB1C4E18C6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Well between the lugs I had to remove quite a bit, just took my time between that and the barrel channel. I have a 10 inch by 1 inch diameter solid steel rod I’ve used many times to twist Leupold rings into mounts. I’ve found out through fitting many barrels that you can add sand paper on top each other to get larger profile. The rod and 2 pieces of 5 inch Velcro backer sand paper was the ticket floated the barrel spot on. It was pretty easy for me to figure where it need addressed. I’ve starting build custom furniture in 1982 till 2013. Now I build detail wood stuff for movie sets. The amount of tools I have is ridiculous..

I’ve found out through fitting many barrels that you can add sand paper on top each other to get larger profile.
That’s exactly what I do. I have a 1” scope lapping bar that I add sheets of sandpaper to for the barrel channel work. Works pretty well.

So in your pic above, the wood along the shank channel is about .272”. How thick was it from Boyd’s?

Looks great, Eldiablo… I have a question for ya. So tonight I worked my trigger. But before I disassembled my action was pretty tight to close. So I worked that and now it snaps closed more lightly. Would you see any problems lightening it. It’s a new action by the way.

Looks great, Eldiablo… I have a question for ya. So tonight I worked my trigger. But before I disassembled my action was pretty tight to close. So I worked that and now it snaps closed more lightly. Would you see any problems lightening it. It’s a new action by the way.
So, are you talking about the adjustable link being lighter now that you took it apart (it closes less stiffly now)? If so, you need to adjust that link based on the primer and plug combo to get a snug closing fit. Mine was very light when I reassembled this latest build - but it’s perfect now that I’ve adjusted the breech plug/primer.

Back