Working on my Winchester X-150

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Today was a good day and after trying some new things I found, I moved on to something that did not require a rubber o ring.

Pure luck, but there was a metric size ( slightly small than 1/2" diameter ) freeze plug in the spare parts area of the shop. I took a look at it, eye balled my bolt and went to work filing and grinding, test fitting, messing around with breech plug seating pressure, then ended up enlarging the breech plugs flash channel to 5/32" to handle more volume.

The factory firing pin was huge and every shot primer would go into the face of the bolt and the primer itself would start to eject. That's not going to work for me.

That freeze plug ended up doing the trick perfectly after a ton of careful file fitting it for a slight compression on the primer. Im using cci 209 mags right now, but plan on buying a box of the winchester w209 primers and see if they will work or if the head space will be to tight for them.

100-0435.jpg

Notice the factory firing pin diameter compared to the new turned down firing pin diameter of 7/64"
100-0437.jpg

After getting everything sized, I fired 2 primers and they came out spotless. I'd imagine I will get a very small amount of leakage with an actual load, but I can make adjustments with a longer primer for the best fit possible. You can't run the head space to tight otherwise the rifle will not cock & fire.
100-0438.jpg

100-0443.jpg

Okay as I thought, they leak a little bit BUT, I think I got the culprit here. Originally I was running the O ring set up but tired of that because they kept breaking after 20 shots or less.

Today I got probably around 10-15% leakage. Not bad! Just a light soot the wipe out of the action and off the face of the bolt. Nothing on the scope!

This evening I did some work with aluminum shims sitting at the bottom of the primer pocket. Damn things tore out in the corner!

Then I added a thin shim to the face of the bolt and it BARELY closed up. Super tight seal. SOB still leaked!

On the range, all of my primer always had a black slit on the corner edge of the primer. I think what I am dealing with is the primer pocket that has gas cutting and this is why she's leaking.
IMG-0570.jpg

But other than that, the Winchester shot beautiful and looks good on the new bench!
IMG-0560.jpg

IMG-0564.jpg

Back