You Still Want To Hunt Grizzly With A Muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Have a look at this.

8ef6504ef02bb14d98e1291f50802ff0.jpg

After surgery.

a18e1a6a8747c1b1637bb10a435d6a33.jpg

I'm surprised he looks that good. It looks like his left parotid gland is gone.
I wonder how they replaced his nose?

Where's the link to the story?

That should make ol Pete feel like a beauty queen now! :lol!:

And yes, I would use my muzzy for one. The first $20,000 and I'll do so!

:affraid:
That guy is lucky to be alive. Seems like he should have more blood on the jacket or maybe the temp was cold enough to coagulate the wounds.
It may be crazy buy count me in on that bear hunt. i'm using my .58 cal. :ttups:

Ray............. :Red tup:

Pete,
That's how they did it in the old days. Those mountain men probably didn't have long life spans but they hunted with ML.ers. I wonder how many had .58 cals. That would interesting to find out. :scratch:

Ray......... :thumbs up:

More mountain men were killed by grizzlies than grizzlies killed by mountain men.

Not a good idea.

I find that picture a little difficult to accept... 
Cool to see, but hard to believe.

Where is the blood? A small scalp wound bleeds like a hose. 

Why is he still on his feet? To prevent shock, don't you lay a man down and raise his feet and keep him in blankets? 

There appears to be skull damage. How is he conscious? 

Why were they wasting time for a photo shoot when they clearly had an emergency to tend to? It makes no sense to me.

It also looks like a lot of great stage and film make up I have seen so I know it can be faked easily. 

And, I am crazy, but I would do the bear hunt with a muzzleloader. I would want a good back up shooter. 
If life gives you a chance like that to do something you love, how do you say no? (I might be happier with the 
.348 WIN Model 71 Browning, but hey! Who knows? Make me an offer and let me decide!)

That wound appears to be catastrophic but is really fairly superficial compared to what an IED explosion might do.
It's difficult to tell, but judging by the after photo, the worst thing was the loss of the left eye. It's possible that his nose is still there but on the back side of that mass of bloody tissue. The nose and the front of the face is mostly thin bone surrounding spaces (sinuses). There isn't much substance there. Taking the gory flap of skin on the left and folding it back and sewing it up may produce a fairly recognizable human face.

I have killed 2 (black) bears and that is enough for me. I have no desire to kill a grizzly unless it has evil in its mind toward me.
I will pass on the bear hunt.

Nobody really knows what they'd do facing a grizzly until they do it. The 5 years I worked a gold claim in Alaska let me know what'd i'd do. They did get my blood pumping pretty hard and I had a .458 mag in my hands and a .44 mag on my hip.

To face a grizzly with a muzzleloader and no backup (handgun) is what I do for black bear. I wouldn't try it with a grizzly. The old mountain men didn't have a choice. I do and I know what a grizz is like up close. It's something to not be taken lightly. Mountain men were lucky to live to 35 years old. I'm sure grizzlies had something to do with that.

As for the above pictures. There was no article to go with them. They were posted on a forum with the poster saying he works with a doctor who works with the doctor who treated the guy in the picture. Could be bull, or might be a hell of a tough dude.

theres no scar on the forehead either if you noticed the "healed" picture.

Bear attacks can happen any time. Out walking, hunting, fishing, you name it. You could even be sleeping and have a bear out a window or go through your tent. Just something you live with when you live in an are with them.

:cheers:

I guess that's why the Indians were fast runners because they hunted with bows and arrows and it's not the bows of today. :scratch:

Ray............ :thumbs up:

Ray, all except for the one indian fellow they called "Shits his pants" :lol:

hawgslayer said:
:cheers:

I guess that's why the Indians were fast runners because they hunted with bows and arrows and it's not the bows of today. :scratch:

Ray............ :thumbs up:
They hunted for buffalo. Not grizzlies.

The biggest issue hunting Grizzlies with a ML isn't the gun. Any ML with the proper load can kill a bear. It's the shooter behind the gun that is the weak link. I guided for Grizzlies and brown bear for 18 years and in that time had 5-6 muzzleloader hunters. As I remember, I think I ended up killing most of those bears with my rifle because of a poor shot placement. Even after having lengthy discussions before the hunt on the importance of shot placement, the average shooter, for lack of a better word, is horrible. 
 Brown/Grizzlies will generally leave you alone as long as they know you are there and in most cases run away. It's when you surprise them up close is when they get grumpy. I've had several bears charge me but I've been fortunate that I didn't have to kill the bear. When a bear is wounded, all 'typical behavior' goes out the window. They will come after you if they have the chance.

This picture is a grumpy sow that came after us while filming a hunting show. She stopped her charge at 12 yards. My hunter and I both had our guns up but neither of us had to shoot. But it was close.

imagejpg1_zps7aa7e488.jpg
y

If 12 yards is not close enough to shoot a grumpy charging sow, how close is?  Point blank?

Latest posts

Back